• 1 year later...
  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 5 weeks later...

It's a neat set. I wasn't crazy about '76 before but really like these shows. In part I think the reason is that the Betty boards are excellent sonically in comparison to many other tapings, and the Plangent Process really gets the sound locked in and seemingly just one layer more "real." I'm not a huge fan of Jerry with the Travis Bean guitar (Alligator or Wolf gave him a wider sonic palette to explore) but it does blend better with Weir's then sound than others do. Really enjoying this set, just made it all the way through. Some really cool "Dancing' in the Streets" and "Samson and Delilah" and even the Kingfish tunes are done with passion--this "comeback" seems to have the band with some energy and enthusiasm.

Edited by jazzbo

• 4 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, mjzee said:

Dead.net just announced the 50th anniversary deluxe edition of Workingman's Dead, which will include the complete 2/21/71 concert from the Capitol Theatre.  Release date July 10.

Did I miss the 50th of "Live/Dead", or did they not do one?  If not, do we know why?  "Live/Dead" is my favorite album of theirs - not saying it is their best, but it has the longest run and fondest memories for me.

7 hours ago, mjzee said:

Dead.net just announced the 50th anniversary deluxe edition of Workingman's Dead, which will include the complete 2/21/71 concert from the Capitol Theatre.  Release date July 10.

The people at Hoffman aren’t very happy with the choices. They hate the concert and they think the vinyl looks cheesy. Sounds like some Deadheads are going to pass on them. 

6 hours ago, felser said:

Did I miss the 50th of "Live/Dead", or did they not do one?  If not, do we know why?  "Live/Dead" is my favorite album of theirs - not saying it is their best, but it has the longest run and fondest memories for me.

For me it’s Workingman’s Dead. 

From deadlists.com:

One Cold Rain And Snow [5:49] ; Me And Bobby McGee [5:56] ; Loser [5:45] ; Easy Wind [8:10] ; Playing In The Band [4:45] ; Bertha [5:16] ; Me And My Uncle [3:13] ; Ripple [4:24] ; Next Time You See Me [4:08] ; Sugar Magnolia [5:19] ; Greatest Story Ever Told [4:04] > Johnny B. Goode [3:13]
Two China Cat Sunflower [5:24] > I Know You Rider [4:35] ; Bird Song [6:05] ; Cumberland Blues [4:41] ; I'm A King Bee [7:00] ; Beat It On Down The Line [2:57] ; Wharf Rat [9:09] ; Truckin' [8:03] ; Casey Jones [4:38] ; Good Lovin' > Drums > Good Lovin' [16:43] > Uncle John's Band [7:12]

Not Surprised about complaints about 50th Anniversary, the Dead crew is a vocal bunch. I bought 3cd version and colored vinyl, a must have for me. I’ve skipped last two box sets so time to get back on board.

Just received Dave’s Picks Vol 34 Miami Jai Alai 74 , the sound is great on my system. This is show I attended back in the day and came away thinking what was that song between sets “Sea Stones”. After listening to it again , still not sure how I feel. Last two Dave’s Picks are in my wheelhouse. 

Edited by Gdgray
Mistake

On 5/6/2020 at 4:45 PM, jazzbo said:

You didn't miss anything.

Jazzbo: howdy!

during this quarantine, i’ve been catching up on 73-74. Dicks and Daves.

the Oklahoma City show from 10-19-73 has an Eyes—Stella that’s as amazing as anything they ever played. I can’t stop listening to it.

And you know I draw-or drew the line at 72.

Of course you should hear this show on cd. Also the new Daves picks fro Florida is great, Pauley Pavillion—when they are on, they are on. 

But dl this sucker.

Edited by orchiddoctor
Edited to add info.

Hello old friend! Hope you are doing well. Been neglecting Ron McKernon lately . . . need to listen to some good OLD Grateful Dead.

I've got that Dick's Picks. . . either here or in storage. . . will look for it.

Edited by jazzbo

Got plenty of time to catch up on the “jazzy years”—1972-4. Still hit and miss, and some sings lack bite. But a lot of these Dark Stars are fun rides. Oddly, most of the Eyes of the world seem lackluster (not Oklahoma!). Row Jimmy shows Jerry’s lack of skill playing slide. But when they rock...

As to me, retired from teaching. Sitting out the pandemic in the countryside away from the brunt of it. 

Had a couple of spinal fusions of late; slowing down. 

Reading books, listening to music.

you? Staying out of trouble?