The Grateful Dead Dark Star

jazzbo

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just got in the mail the latest Pure Jerry release, 3-18-78 Warner Theater. This is the line up that included Maria "Midnight At The Oasis" Muldaur along with Donna. I think having another voice helps takes the pressure off of Donna. Hey, it worked on "Suspicious Minds" with Elvis and it seems to here too (btw, I don't typically bash her as she added a lot to some of my Dead favorites like "Weather Report Suite.")

The sound quality on this baby is stunning! I do have a HDCD decoder so maybe there really is something to it (of course if you don't have one this will play fine without.) The evening show of this release circulated pretty heavily but it is most definitely a step up.

Over the past year or so about the only Jerry outside of the Dead I was playing was an occasional spin of his '87 string band or some of his encounters with Grisman. I may have to remedy that behavoir, and this is a warm way to start!

Now Playing:

Grateful Dead - 08/27/72 • Old Renaissance Faire Grounds • Veneta, OR

A wonderful show. All recorded versions have been removed from the internet archives "by request." Maybe this is in the pipeline for a vault or Dick's Picks release?

Now Playing:

A wonderful show. All recorded versions have been removed from the internet archives "by request." Maybe this is in the pipeline for a vault or Dick's Picks release?

EXCELLENT observation!!! And news too, though I know some get upset when the free stuff costs money. I hope most will be thrilled at the prospect of improved sound.

I wonder if this means that the Sunshine Daydream DVD is closer to release. My understanding from friends who know Kesey & Babbs family members is that it was difficult to sync the video with audio as techinical difficulties with a generator at the time of the recording caused problems. (Maybe they just read the same interviews we've read too. ;) ) Ken's death slowed down the project for a spell too. They have had an improved working copy which was shown in a few theaters last year (eek, maybe it was 2 years ago.) I've seen a "hush" copy of the DVD which is much cleaner than the one I've seen circulating on the net. About all that was left to do were menus and credits. As they've had the production work done for at least a year, perhaps that means they've been working with lawyers, the Dead and anyone else who needs to be worked with.

I don't want to start rumors or get hopes up with this, but I think it is a good sign as the same thing happened with the Fillmore '69 run that is coming out in November. I think those shows were removed maybe as far back as last Jan. or Feb., so maybe sometime in 6 to 9 months we'll see a DVD and/or CD set. Again, maybe, I haven't heard anything otherwise. And sometimes the things I hear from people who know the people involved end up saying things that don't come true. Otherwise you all would have had the movie in your hands 4 years ago or more!

It's high time they do it! Let's hope for the best.

Now Playing:

EXCELLENT observation!!! And news too, though I know some get upset when the free stuff costs money. I hope most will be thrilled at the prospect of improved sound.

I wonder if this means that the Sunshine Daydream DVD is closer to release. My understanding from friends who know Kesey & Babbs family members is that it was difficult to sync the video with audio as techinical difficulties with a generator at the time of the recording caused problems. (Maybe they just read the same interviews we've read too. ;) ) Ken's death slowed down the project for a spell too. They have had an improved working copy which was shown in a few theaters last year (eek, maybe it was 2 years ago.) I've seen a "hush" copy of the DVD which is much cleaner than the one I've seen circulating on the net. About all that was left to do were menus and credits. As they've had the production work done for at least a year, perhaps that means they've been working with lawyers, the Dead and anyone else who needs to be worked with.

I don't want to start rumors or get hopes up with this, but I think it is a good sign as the same thing happened with the Fillmore '69 run that is coming out in November. I think those shows were removed maybe as far back as last Jan. or Feb., so maybe sometime in 6 to 9 months we'll see a DVD and/or CD set. Again, maybe, I haven't heard anything otherwise. And sometimes the things I hear from people who know the people involved end up saying things that don't come true. Otherwise you all would have had the movie in your hands 4 years ago or more!

It's high time they do it! Let's hope for the best.

8/27/72 is a multi-track recording. All of the multi-track recordings have been removed from the LMA. Multi-tracks are usually released by outside companies(Arista, Rhino, etc.) and the two tracks are released by GDM.

One more thing... 8/27/72 is still available for download at gdlive.com. That goes for the shows from the forth coming Fillmore box  as well..

Thanks for the tip!

The Dark Star from 3-1-69 is insanely good. I have to pre-order this box! Must pre-order...must pre-order...

:rhappy:

8/27/72 is a multi-track recording. All of the multi-track recordings have been removed from the LMA. Multi-tracks are usually released by outside companies(Arista, Rhino, etc.) and the two tracks are released by GDM.

Ah nuts. :rolleyes:

Well, one of these days maybe those with the film will get Sunshine Daydream out to the public for general consumption. Or should I say out to the general public, since many have it some form or another...

I mean everyone should have the pleasure of seeing the naked hippie on the pole overlooking Jerry while he solos right? :)

I just got in the mail the latest Pure Jerry release, 3-18-78 Warner Theater. This is the line up that included Maria "Midnight At The Oasis" Muldaur along with Donna. I think having another voice helps takes the pressure off of Donna. Hey, it worked on "Suspicious Minds" with Elvis and it seems to here too (btw, I don't typically bash her as she added a lot to some of my Dead favorites like "Weather Report Suite.")

The sound quality on this baby is stunning! I do have a HDCD decoder so maybe there really is something to it (of course if you don't have one this will play fine without.) The evening show of this release circulated pretty heavily but it is most definitely a step up.

Over the past year or so about the only Jerry outside of the Dead I was playing was an occasional spin of his '87 string band or some of his encounters with Grisman. I may have to remedy that behavoir, and this is a warm way to start!

You are very right about this release; the sound is excellent and Jerry and John are really having fun, and I like Keith in the JGB, he knows how to sort of just do his thing and loosely compliment everyone. This is one of the very best Jerry Garcia Band releases I have ever heard.

Looking back a page or two to Hunter's latest poignant thoughts, I am reminded of his great role in Deadheads' joy. Let's not forget his talent. When Garcia died, the best reflections upon the Dead and the scene, in my opinion, covered the general high quality of the band's authored and covered songbook. We were singing and dancing along to some dandies! Hunter/Garcia was a top team, and delivered several LPs worth of excellent material over their first decade, plus a few nuggets after 1976. So hats go off to Robert Hunter. who also offered me measured closure on the Dead years, with his Web journal and a fun concert at Town Hall in the late 90s.

Ooops. No spare 80 bucks recently, thus I delayed. 10,000 issued though, I am hopeful. Way back when, Live Dead, Anthem and those searing tapes from '68-74 just pulled me in and kept me enthralled. When I check back in now, various '68 and '69 jams are still the best live rock grooves for my head, and few earthly thrills can ever top Dark Star and The Eleven. Must get that set...