The Grateful Dead Dark Star

jazzbo

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe this has been said and I'm just preaching to the choir, but it was the dead that led me into the jazz world. I was fortunate enough to see them as early as 1967 and to follow them as they learned to become a single mind with 5-6-7 arms, always improvising, always protean, always moving the music forward. By hearing the brilliant interplay between, say, the classically trained but avant guarde influencedLesh and the Blugrass influenced Garcia, the jazz influence Kreutzman, precisionist Hart and the blues embellished McKernan--and the later keyboardists who helped redefine the band at each step-- I was able to open up my mind and understand Coltrane and his peers and then launch out on the likes of The Art Ensemble of Chicago. I think that the Dead allowed a lot of people to cross over into the jazz idiom. They took us from rock and roll into the stratosphere. They taught us to listen with our minds and our bodies.

Muisc is music, and well made music is art, and art is everything.

OD:  Welcome!  Nice first post! :excl:

Thank you--I just recently found the forum researching some roscoe mitchell stuff. As blessed as I was to see the Dead dozens of times, I also got to catch the Art Ensemble on dozens of occasions. What an approachable bunch of guys--well, the dead were too early on.

I haven't scanned the whole thread here, so if I'm repeating, sorry.

Check out the following

http://www.archive.org/audio/etreelisting-...Grateful%20Dead

There are almost a thousand concerts on there for download--including the Avalon runs before and after that Fillmore run. Want '73? You got it 108 downloads. 77?

You got it--79 downloads. Have a favorite concert? It's probably there-50:50 from a soundboard. They took down the Fillmore run last year, signalling it's release. More of Europe '72 is off--expect a box set from there soon. The missing tunes on the Dick's Picks? Yep--they got 'em.

I like DP7 since they took the best of the three nights- a set here, a few songs there- I agree, a strong DP.

My first is also my favorite- DP10- I really can't explain why- just that it's special all the way through. I just finished DP11 on a long road trip doing field work.

Anyone have any DPs in the 30s?? I'm going to pick up a few of those- 33 and 34 look good- I believe. DP34 is the 3rd one from second half of 1977, I believe.

I also would like a few of the download series but I have a dialup and that won't work. Anyone purchase the download series?

The new one, due out in November, is from the Philadelphia Spectrum in the fall of 1972. I was at that show with a few first timers. By evening's end, there were no nonbelievers in the entire arena. The Dark Star--Dew is priceless. Near the end of the long, spacy star, Garcia begins this little upbeat ditty that the band jumps in on--a series of riffs that sound as if they were planned--but you know they weren't. Then, the Star winds down and, BAM Lesh throws us into a sublime Morning Dew. The other hour or so is outstanding as well. Also--the Academy discs from 1972. That entire week was phenomonal, a warm up of blistering proportions to the Europe tour. And 4-13/14 70--oh, hell, pretty much all of them.

I'm just partial to 1968--72, before Jerry got fat and strung out.

Yes, that Archive is a great resource. I've downloaded all of 1975 and the studio items and then decided to put a check to my downloading. I'd rather buy the cd releases, and I have more than I can honestly listen to right now (not that that will stop me from getting more!)

I saw the Dead several times between 72 and 75. . . . Coincidentally that's my favorite period to collect! :D The material previous to that just doesn't hold my interest as much generally, but boy is there great music in there. I've never quite taken to any of the material after that with anyone on the keys but Keith. Not sure why.

Well, 1) Keith had a better improvisational background an 2) by 1978, Jerry Berry was pretty smacked out and the band was no longer functioning as a single mind. Brent also lacked the depth in his playing that could lead Garcia into the kind of space that made the Keith years--well, the semi-sober Keith years--so fine.

Yes, the psychedellic period is influenced by heavy bass and 90 mph playing--often staying close to the scales--but, well, you had to have been there.

In effect there are several Grateful Deads: The original quintet, add Hart, add Constanten, lose Constanten, lose Hart (notice both quintets are seminal bar bands), add Godcheaux, add Hart back, (must we mention Donna the banshee from hell?), lose Keith, add Mydland, lose Mydland, add Hornsby, add Welnick, lose Hornsby--each had its own flavor. Persoanally, I lost intertest around the time of the 1974 retirement. I guess you tend to favor what you experience directly over what you hear second hand. At least I do.

And, as much as I've heard everything on the great Fillmore Box set--I really look forward to having it in sharp, crisp, remixed form. I'm guessing a massive Europe '72 box set isn't far behind, Keith lovers!

Right. I'm less and less a Hart fan as time goes by and love Kreutzman, so that flavors my period of interest as well. I actually like Donna most of the time. . . . An acquired taste for sure.

I'm lucky enough to be in the pipeline for a Fillmore box and boy would I like a 1972 Europe box! :tup

My humble suspicion, based in part on the deletions from the etree downloads, is that the Paris concerts will be released as some sort of set. Also removed is the legendary (though perhaps overrated) field trip show from August 1972. It's become very evident to the Dead organization that the Vault material is a great retirement fund. Like most of these situations, too much, too fast will kill the interest. But, then again, they are doing triple time with DP, the downloads, the Vault, the DVDS . . . . I'm not sure how many "Me and My Uncles" I need to hear (that's their most played song!). Sorry Bobby.

Mean time, I really do recommend the new Philly Dick's Picks wholeheartedly. Just turnoff the lights first, light some incense, put a rug under the door and . . . .

enjoy it.

I'd like it if your prediction came true! A Paris set would be great!

Anyone think we'll see the Fillmore set today? I'm sweating bullets becuase a week ago my credit card account got all snafu'd and it's supposed to be fixed, but I just know that the universe may conspire to make this a problem for me and my pre-ordered set! :P I think it's due to be released today. . . and anyone that ordered it with express shipping should receive it today. . . .

I see that 9 of the Fillmore 10 disc sets have gone for $300 or more, with one closing at $710. One is currently at $455.

I am all about letting the market setting its own price, and the fairness of eBay and all [i have used it to my advantage in the past]. Something just seems a bit off about the whole thing. What would Jerry think?

Edited by WD45

By the way, the bookending Avalon shows (Jan 24, 25 and 26--which is where the second half of Live/Dead came from--and April 4, 5,, 6) are still up on Etree, as are the shows from The Ark (April 21, 22, 23) and the second Fillmore West run (June 5, 6, 7, 8)--oh, hell, there are about 40 gigs listed, most of which are excellent both sonically and aesthetically. So, if you don't have the bucks for the Fillmore run that they are releasing, treat yourself to some freebies. You can even get Nov 7, the companion to Dick's Picks 16. Spend a little time here, and you won't really miss the box set. :D

I'm not a deadhead by any stretch, like the band, barely tolerate the fans,,,but I have been tempted by this 2CD thing from 69 I've seen that has, I think, some of the source materials for Live?Dead which is by far my favorite album of theirs.  Any one know what I'm talking 'bout and care to comment?

It's actually 3 CDs, but you're right about its association with Live/Dead. I haven't heard it yet, but I have a friend who has and is very impressed with the sound quality. He has had the tapes/CDRs of the run for years and considers the new official release to be a step up over the fine sounding stuff that was circulating before.

Not that you have to buy it here, but here's the link for the title at CD Universe:

Fillmore West 1969

I quite agree with the disdain many people have for the hordes of "deadheads," most of whom got into the band well after their prime. It became a scene for scene's sake and the venues just got larger and larger until the intimacy disappeared and the band appeared to play for pay. Half or more of them weren't even born when these cds were recorded. The last few years the band members admitted that they could hardly hear one another on stage anymore.

But when the Fillmore run was recorded, there were maybe 500 or so in attendence at a small venue. And the attitude was much different: they listened and dance instead of pretending to be interested or sharing the numbers of concerts they had attended. Although the 3-cd set does not have any of the LIVE/DEAD material on it, it is an amazing snapshot of the band at the peak of its youthful improvisational power (yes, I'm sure that someone will write that later periods were better). Just imagine catching the Coltrane Quartet at the Village Vanguard and then transferring them to Madison Square Garden. Would they sell the place out today? Maybe. Would it be initmate and could you simply relax and enjoy the powerful music? Nope. Would the quartet be as free and spontaneous? Probably not.

Buy the cds.

Quincy:

Thank you for your prompt & polite reply.  I didn't mean to to sound like a troll but there's something about deadhead-ism as a social phenomina that keeps me away from the music, unfortunately.

Oh no problem, and I understand.

I used to make do with American Beauty, Working Man's Dead and then later the Skull & Roses album and a tape of Europe '72. That was about all I needed. I never understood why someone would want to follow a band for weeks or months, even a band at its peak. Sooner or later surely one would want to hear something else, right?

I was horrified at how limited the listening experience was for some Deadheads. For a few it consisted of hundreds of live Dead tapes and some Dead side projects like Old & In The Way, Weir's Kingfish or Ace album, and then perhaps some album from an artist who appeared on the bill. In the '90s this meant having a Hornsby album in the collection. That type of single mindedness of a few (by no means all) fans kind of scared me away from pursuing massive amounts of live shows that happened later. In fact what led to being more enthusiastic about the Dead was talking with friends who had a wide range of musical interests who also happened to have Dead lying around. The Grateful Dead are probably the #1 "gateway" band for those who move from a previous mainly rock background into jazz.

Here's an oldy but a goody from the usenet. A bit hard to read but it's a hoot.

Dead Music Appreciation Flowchart

It is almost frightening to go to dead.net and check out the merchandising: Golf balls? Yep, my tape collection is bigger than yours. But I have a soundboard copy of (fill in the date) that Jerry personally sneezed on and all you have is a hissy copy of the first set. Best verion of "Me and My Uncle" (their most often played tune) of the year. The corporate Dead and the "heads" who follow(ed) mindlessly seems to all but erase the artistic value that the band once had.

Of course, I happen to have a personally autographed copy of a tape of Jerry smoking opiates backstage at the Omni in 1992. I'm listing it on Ebay tomorrow.

It is almost frightening to go to dead.net and check out the merchandising: Golf balls?

The Hendrix site has plenty to offer for the whole family too. Follow the links on thru as direct links might not work.

How 'bout an "Are You Experienced diaper cover" available in 3 different sizes. Light switch covers, pillows, go ahead and decorate your whole house in a Hendrix theme. Air fresheners & incense too. (Hmm, "Wild Blue Angel" or "Smash Hits" for the bathroom?) Write that check with an official Axis Bold As Love pod pen!