jazzbo

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fascinating!

Well, maybe we can convince the Dead to do these tapes justice as a "Digital Download Series" entry. Yeah right.

Do you think there's a lack of interest from "da boys" towards Pigpen material?

PS: Shouldn't there have been another Digital Download Series entry by now?

Edited by jazzbo

Oh. . and pardon my blushing ignorance. . . Lovelight with Janis? Twice? :crazy:

Twice. One is good, the other is pitiful and ugly. Janis is beyond shitfaced and raps about Pig's sexual perversions. One to skip.

The better one is 6-7-69 Fillmore West; the xxx rated one is 7-16-70 Euphoria Ballroom.

Both can be streamed on archive.

The digital downloads must be on hold until Rhino takes over.

Okay that explains it.

When I first got this iBook realplayer really f'd up the works. I purged and holywatered it, thoroughly.

Don't want to invite disaster by inviting it back. I'll wait until I return to work (might be soon, for a spell).

Thanks as usual Doc.

Whadya know, a new Pure Jerry. Click the link for all the talk, I'll just provide the facts. ;)

Pure Jerry link

Tracklist for Coliseum, Hampton, Virginia, November 9, 1991

Disc One

1. How Sweet It Is

2. He Ain't Give You None

3. You Never Can Tell (C'est la Vie)

4. Run for the Roses

5. The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down

6. I Second That Emotion

7. My Sisters and My Brothers

8. Ain't No Bread in the Breadbox

Disc Two

1. Bright Side of the Road

2. Shining Star

3. Waiting For A Miracle

4. Think

5. I Shall Be Released

6. Don't Let Go

7. Midnight Moonlight

8. What A Wonderful World (Encore)

JERRY GARCIA BAND:

Jerry Garcia: guitar, vocals

Gloria Jones: vocals

John Kahn: bass

David Kemper: drums

Jaclyn LaBranch: vocals

Melvin Seals: organ

Bruce Hornsby: electric piano

Now that I'm home for almost a week and with another week to go, I've access to the studio albums. . . been listening to the expanded versions of the first three for the first time in a long time.

Hey. . . that's a pretty good band! :D

Now that I'm home for almost a week and with another week to go, I've access to the studio albums. . . been listening to the expanded versions of the first three for the first time in a long time.

Hey. . . that's a pretty good band! :D

The first lp is awfully underrated, even by garcia and the band. Sure, a few songs are rushed, but it's worth it just for Cold Rain and Snow and that awesome Viola Lee Blues. Trippy, hippie, dippy, but you can hear Garcia getting his chops down. Anthem? Whooie. All those splices. The Alligator is primarily from 2-14-98, and the cuation is from 11-11-67 (or 11-10?), so the main segments are live. The Alligator is truncated. Jerry's a capella solo after drums is much longer as is the post "ALLIGATOR!!!) jam. (I'll send you a copy of both). Isn't part of cuation also on the dicks picks from the dream bowl?

Aoxomoxoa. Best l.p. cover ever. Love the St. Stephen--Phil chasing Jerry! There's a set of outtakes available with St. S--William Tell--11 in the studio with Hunter on bagpipes. Chuckle. Rosemary--what a lovely, forlorn piece, and doin that rag. Get the original mix for that one, with the subtle extra layers. China Cat Sunflower! But, uggh, What's Become of the Baby? I don't care (btw, Owsley played a tape of it during the feedback that ocurred in the Viola Lee Blues that's on The Phil Zone. Oh the worthless trivia).

What can one say about Workingman's Dead and American Beauty? Certainly the latter is one of the best lps of the 70s--if not of all time. Frind of the Devil? Box of Rain? Ripple? There was a special on VH1 during which Steven Barncard during which he went to the master tape and isolated Jerry's vocals. Those who say Jerry couldn't sing---HA!

Skullfuck--well, the Fillmore East Box os much superior. Never could understand why there wasn't more Pig on that one--especially Hard to Handle.

The first lp is awfully underrated, even by garcia and the band.

I recently got handed a DVD about the making of this album and American Beauty; I think it was part of a series on classic albums that aired here a few years back.

Anyway, I was surprised that it was SO absolutlely faskinating, especially as it's about albums with which I have only the most superficial acquaintance.

Great interviews; spotty sounding footage (including quite a lot from the GD Movie).

Best of all: Setting the scene of mid-'60s SF, a shot in the vicinity of Haight St has a bunch of dudes dressed in turn of the century garb ambling downhill. I'd be suprised if it WASN'T Mike Wilhelm and those Charlatans.

That was aired in part on VH1--I forget the series. Doesn't Steven Barncard put the master reel on and turn off everythng but Jerry's vocal? So sweet. Those were the years that he spent as much time honing his voice as he did his fingers. As to American Beauty, Mickey Hart remixed it for 4.1 sound a few years ago. I lack the technology, but can imagine that all those mandolins and guitars and layered voices really shine.