• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A few points:

* don't forget 1971

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_3nYixwNn0

* I used to be somewhat down on Brent Mydland but watch the various videos '87-'90 and you can clearly see/hear what a fine musician he (usually) was.

* the idea that late Jerry's singing improved even as his playing/general health declined merits serious consideration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX9Vhv4akxc

He could, of course, play exceedingly well on those occasions the head, hands, heart agreed.

* two official sets for '80s skeptics: "Terrapin Station Live" and "Formerly The Warlocks" box

A few points:

* don't forget 1971

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_3nYixwNn0

* I used to be somewhat down on Brent Mydland but watch the various videos '87-'90 and you can clearly see/hear what a fine musician he (usually) was.

* the idea that late Jerry's singing improved even as his playing/general health declined merits serious consideration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX9Vhv4akxc

He could, of course, play exceedingly well on those occasions the head, hands, heart agreed.

* two official sets for '80s skeptics: "Terrapin Station Live" and "Formerly The Warlocks" box

1971 was a good year but IMHO, it doesn't measure up to the greatness they achieved in the two-three years immediately preceding/following it. Agree w/ the rest of your points. My only complaints about Brent are his cheesy songs and his midi explorations the last two or three years in the band. He was a master on the Hammond. It was a real shame that he died just when he finally seemed to be settling into his role in the band. I think the shows from '89-90(and the Hornsby shows from '90-91) were their last gasp before Jerry died. I can't listen to anything they did w/ Vince. Well, very little anyways.

* two official sets for '80s skeptics: "Terrapin Station Live"...

Eh...Maybe it's because I didn't reproduce but I hate "I Will Take You Home" even more than Brent's woman-hating song. It sounded like it belonged to the lovechild of later day Doobie Brothers & Christopher Cross. It was a major buzzkill back in the day, more so than "Day Job" since that one contained some truth.

It probably won't change the mind of skeptics as Jerry's voice is hoarse as hell, but Dick's Picks 6 from '83 isn't as bad as the reviews. It falls victim to "they should have picked the show before (or after)" where "St. Stephen" was performed. Although a whole different kettle of band I usually pick the '80 acoustic release Reckoning as the one to try for those who say the hate the band. I can't imagine someone not liking it, though of course some people will anyway.

Jazzbo I'll give you a fair price for any Road Trips with bonus disc (where one was offered).

What do you do for later Jerry, stick with JGB? Gotta have "Althea," "Alabama Getaway," "Black Muddy River," "So Many Roads" ... There's some decent later Weir/Barlow too and the right pair of creamy buttocks in your face even Brent "Dear Mr. Fantasy" starts to 'work.'

I do agree '72 >>>>> '71

And speaking of '78, this is a pretty good "punk" Jerry presentation--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIM3Jf0qGZ0

Can't stand Brent. I generally listen to Dead '65 to '78 and that's IT. I have some recent Road Trips I'm probably going to sell because they're with Brent and just not happening for me.

Listening to the second Wembley show from the '72 box. Great stuff!

Edited by MomsMobley

Can't argue too much, Quincy. I have DP 6 and while it nearly falls apart a couple times, it DOES kick in hard. I'm also a fan of-- hold on, lemme see what I have at hand--

"Go To Nassau," DP 13, "Without A Net" (** only ** record I have or ever will have with a Marsalis in the house, sorry Willie), "Dozin' At The Knick," DP 9, "Nightfall of Diamonds."

for the '78 cut off folks, DP 18 fuckin' kills.

* two official sets for '80s skeptics: "Terrapin Station Live"...

Eh...Maybe it's because I didn't reproduce but I hate "I Will Take You Home" even more than Brent's woman-hating song. It sounded like it belonged to the lovechild of later day Doobie Brothers & Christopher Cross. It was a major buzzkill back in the day, more so than "Day Job" since that one contained some truth.

It probably won't change the mind of skeptics as Jerry's voice is hoarse as hell, but Dick's Picks 6 from '83 isn't as bad as the reviews. It falls victim to "they should have picked the show before (or after)" where "St. Stephen" was performed. Although a whole different kettle of band I usually pick the '80 acoustic release Reckoning as the one to try for those who say the hate the band. I can't imagine someone not liking it, though of course some people will anyway.

I can handle later Jerry JGB, but that's it. I have all the official releases of material up through the Godchaux years, and a few others, but I don't listen to the others, I've tried but I so much of the Pig and Keith years to listen to (including hundreds of shows downloaded). . . . After a few years with Brent it just seems a totally different band to me, one I don't dig.

Edited by jazzbo

for the '78 cut off folks, DP 18 fuckin' kills.

Indeed! One thing left in the vault that they must release at some point and would make a lovely companion piece is Mac Court 1/22/78. It's not just local pride that makes me say that (I didn't even live here at the time), it's this part:

Terrapin Station-> Drums-> The Other One-> Close Encounters-> Saint Stephen-> Not Fade Away

And it's not really because of Jerry riffing the Close Encounters theme, but for what happens going into, out of (and during) "The Other One" and "St. Stephen." It's the musical equivalent of a whirlpool that could suck Moby Dick down and smash him on the bottom of the ocean. This is a good thing, even though I do love whales.

The boys were lifting weights & eating their Wheaties in the winter of early '78.

Just received Europe 72 Vol 2 (along with the Miles Bootleg). I find it funny how they're slavishly imitating the LP packaging of what is now Vol 1: The totally white inside (even on the original, I never understood why), the artwork, the typeface, the "labels" on the CDs, the booklet containing just photos... I also ripped the cover trying to extricate the booklet. It's also interesting that I paid $9.99 for it from Amazon...I think that was the list price of the original LP.

Edited by mjzee

Well, they did the same with the box set, all 22 shows are in white paper cases with cartoon fronts. I don't think they quite got the cartooning right, looks more angular and "digital" than the three lp set illustrations, but then so is this time far more angular and digital.

Looks like they did a really good job with selecting items for that Vol. 2 release.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I think they're going to go back to a series of more complete shows, a la Dick's Picks. But I could be wrong. Don't want them to only offer downloads.

Maybe they could do a "Mr. Charlie's Choice" series. . . .

Lignano_Sabbiadoro_Italy_Discoteca_Mr_Charlie_p258629.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

About 2/3rd of the Dick's Picks were complete or very close. Just eye-balling it I'd call 24 complete even though at least couple of those are missing a first set song (such as DP 20 - the fall '76 set.) So 1/3 (or 12 of the 36 sets) were partials or combinations of nights. 2 of my favorite picks fall into the latter - DP 12 and 14. More than that as DP 18, oh the '68 Tahoe, several more. But it is right to consider a DP to be more likely to feature a full show, though Road Trips showcased more full shows as it went along.

They made some good choices in that series and quite a few that didn't interest me too. What surprised me more than anything was how good the '71 RT releases are, both the summer one & Texas. As a '72-'74 whore I do make the mistake of underestimating '71, especially as it develops as the year goes on. I won't miss the cardboard packaging, although if they adopt the Euro '72 paper packaging the fat finger, clumsy & Cheetos eating folk are going to hate it. :lol: But I'm glad they plan something, because we just don't have enough live Grateful Dead to choose from. ;)

Edited by Quincy

The new series will be called Dave's Picks after Mr. Lemieux. That's fair considering he did the work for most of the Dick's series and most of the stuff afterwards. Or was it all of it? A key part of the blurb:

"Dave's Picks will combine the best aspects of the Dick's Picks and Road Trips series, by presenting shows selected from the finest master tapes in the vault, mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman, and always including period photos and informative liner notes. Here's a new wrinkle: The four 2012 releases (the first should be out around February 1) will be available in a limited, numbered, edition of just 12,000 COPIES.

That's still a few months away, but if you SUBSCRIBE TODAY, you can guarantee that you'll receive all four sets, plus a special subscribers-only BONUS DISC (to be sent out with the 2nd release), and we'll throw in FREE domestic standard shipping & handling to sweeten the deal! What's more, we're offering an early bird subscription rate of $95.50 through December 15, 2011. This constitues a savings of over $30 as compared to purchasing the volumes a la carte. "

Sorry guys, I didn't sign up for the last subscription as I knew there'd be at least one release that was of no interest. So I'm pretty sure I'll risk it and just pay $30 if there's something I have to have.

Boy was I wrong! I thought for sure they'd try to slip in a Vince show in the mix.*

Just in case some here don't read other music boards or bothered to look at the splash screen at Dead.net, here's a list of the dates of shows for the next 2 or 3 years of Dave's Picks. (Or I guess that's the timeline. I wouldn't think they'd combine shows that are a month apart or more.)

6/10/73

6/30/73

9/11/73

5/19/74

6/23/74

7/31/74

9/28/75

6/14/76

10/3/76

5/26/77

11/4/77

1/22/78

Oh, and the first one will be 5/25/77.

I know we have a lot of Pig fans here but I'm impressed by the eras they're mining in the new series. I'm holding out some hope that as Fall '72 was ignored perhaps that'll be another box of some kind. Waterbury or Texas please.

I'm going to have to review some of these shows I already have that I haven't played in ages to see whether I jump aboard. It's good to see to 2 of Oregon's finest get represented with 1/22/78 and 5/19/74.

*Or maybe not. And now a few hours after the above post I visited dead.net intending to sign up. Only now dates from outside the above range, including something from Jan. 1970, the '80s, '90s dates are popping up. So it seems that the usual wide net for these kind of releases is being cast. Btw, the above list of dates was all that displaying yesterday.

Edited by Quincy

• 2 months later...