The Grateful Dead Dark Star

jazzbo

I listened to 5-7, 5-8, 5-9-77 this past weekend at high volume on an outdoor system, man that is great live rock music, doesn't need a label. Improv, composition (Help-Slip!), passion, dynamics, GREAT songwriting and interpretations. And it's not even my favorite Dead (that would be '68 and '72). Get those 9 CDs, they sound heavenly, no official release needed.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I listened to 5-7, 5-8, 5-9-77 this past weekend at high volume on an outdoor system.

What a great way to do it! It makes no sense, and it doesn't matter a hoot, but in my head I always visualize these shows as being outdoors, perhaps because the music is so "sunny." Unless those venues briefly had retractable roofs however they were played indoors. Now that summer is finally here in western Oregon I may (ho! - accidental pun) have to revisit this weekend myself.

I listened to 5-7, 5-8, 5-9-77 this past weekend at high volume on an outdoor system, man that is great live rock music, doesn't need a label. Improv, composition (Help-Slip!), passion, dynamics, GREAT songwriting and interpretations. And it's not even my favorite Dead (that would be '68 and '72). Get those 9 CDs, they sound heavenly, no official release needed.

I've been listening to a disc here and a disc there of the set and I was never a big Deadhead and this stuff is GREAT! I bought it because it was so enthusiastically recommended here and I'm glad I made the purchase. So much music, so little time...

I've been listening to a disc here and a disc there of the set and I was never a big Deadhead and this stuff is GREAT! I bought it because it was so enthusiastically recommended here and I'm glad I made the purchase. So much music, so little time...

I think you may have 6 confused for 5 (the month) as Amir was listening to the famous May '77 Boston-Ithica-Buffalo run, whereas I believe you're talking about the June '77 Winterland official set. Both were played on the 7th, 8th, & 9th of the month hence the confusion, and both some mighty fine shows! Apologies for the cliche, but "it's all good." :)

Loving the new Road Trips Bonus disc of 5/14/70 versions of New Speedway Boogie, St Stephen and my new all time favorite version of Not Fade Away. I love the sound of those old tube amps and gibson guitars. Nice to have more acoustic Dead and the master of 5/15/70 sounds great. Excellent release.

Question: There was a version of Dark Star that was released on the Revelations - Glastonbury Fayre 3-LP set back around 1974. The actual performance was from Empire Pool, Wembley, 4/8/72. Has this ever appeared on a GD release?

"Steppin' Out" has Big Railroad Blues, It Hurts Me Too and Dark Star > Sugar Magnolia > Caution from 4/8/72

Bookmark this - http://www.deadlists.com/default.asp

Edited by J.H. Deeley

Loving the new Road Trips Bonus disc of 5/14/70 versions of New Speedway Boogie, St Stephen and my new all time favorite version of Not Fade Away. I love the sound of those old tube amps and gibson guitars. Nice to have more acoustic Dead and the master of 5/15/70 sounds great. Excellent release.

Strange - As much as I love the Dead, I just can't get with the mid-1970 shows, particularly the acoustic sets that most Dead fans love so much. They bore me to tears. I have the soundboard of 5/15 and I revisited it a few days ago. Same reaction. What's wrong with me? :unsure:

I;m hot and cold on the acoustic Dead.....depends on my mood. But generally I like it. I'm enjoying this latest RT release.

I think I'm going to break down and buy the Winterland 1977 box set from dead.net- I'm trying to get one with the bonus disc but they're going for $135.00 and up on Ebay. Wish I pulled the trigger back then.

Question: There was a version of Dark Star that was released on the Revelations - Glastonbury Fayre 3-LP set back around 1974. The actual performance was from Empire Pool, Wembley, 4/8/72. Has this ever appeared on a GD release?

"Steppin' Out" has Big Railroad Blues, It Hurts Me Too and Dark Star > Sugar Magnolia > Caution from 4/8/72

What is this I'm bookmarking??

What is this I'm bookmarking??

It's a link to Deadlists - which has every known show w/ a corresponding set list and info on all(well the best in circulation, anyway) available recordings. Essential.

I'm not sure why that link doesn't work when I click on your the link in your post but it works for me when I click on the link in my post. Try cut/paste the URL into your browser's window.

Strange - As much as I love the Dead, I just can't get with the mid-1970 shows, particularly the acoustic sets that most Dead fans love so much. They bore me to tears. I have the soundboard of 5/15 and I revisited it a few days ago. Same reaction. What's wrong with me? :unsure:

Nothing, everybody has their periods of the Dead they like and some periods they don't. I will say maybe the sonic upgrade on this may shed some light on these recordings.

It took me awhile to get into the Pig era myself, I was late to the Dead and started with May 77, then got way into 73 (still my favorite year), was obsessed with June 74 for a while now kind of gorging on the pork. Even though I lose something with the smoother execution of say Fall 73 or Spring 77 I dig the energy on the early stuff now.

Thanks- the link worked under your post.....I like researching the shows I have on CD. I have only commercial releases- no soundboards or other alternative recordings.

Try this one for official releases. Clicking the "info" button to the left will give details, though they might not have dates for everything.

edit - didn't know my left from my right. :unsure:

Edited by Quincy

I'm the same way. If I want to hear acoustic Dead I prefer Reckoning and the other fall '80 recordings. A big part is that "Bird Song" is so damn great, but I also think their voices are better for a lot of the material.

1970 is probably my least favorite pre-retirement year. I prefer Pigpen's songs in '71 & '72 to what he was singing in '70. I like their attack more in '69 compared to '70. Generally I prefer the one drummer era too, so that's another strike against it. I do like February & September more than May, and I wish 6/24 with the Dark Star>Attics>DS>Sugar Mag>DS>St. Stephan circulated in better quality. I didn't even get around to revisiting 5/15 - as I said earlier I've had a long relationship of not getting this show. So you're not alone. ;)

I'm the same way. If I want to hear acoustic Dead I prefer Reckoning and the other fall '80 recordings. A big part is that "Bird Song" is so damn great, but I also think their voices are better for a lot of the material.

1970 is probably my least favorite pre-retirement year. I prefer Pigpen's songs in '71 & '72 to what he was singing in '70. I like their attack more in '69 compared to '70. Generally I prefer the one drummer era too, so that's another strike against it. I do like February & September more than May, and I wish 6/24 with the Dark Star>Attics>DS>Sugar Mag>DS>St. Stephan circulated in better quality. I didn't even get around to revisiting 5/15 - as I said earlier I've had a long relationship of not getting this show. So you're not alone. ;)

Yes, that is pretty much the way I feel. Although 1970 was certainly an important year that bridged the "psychedelic" band of the 60s with what came later, I enjoy the late 60s and 71-78 a lot more. On the other hand, the very early 1970 shows were a lot like the late 60s. So I like them more.

Many folks who were there in the early years say 1970 was the peak year for the Grateful Dead concert "experience". The times were bad, and the band was aware of their talent for providing a haven for its diverse audience to cool their heads. Shows and sets were long, the nights with the New Riders had 4-6 hours of stage time for the musicians involved and while the overall vibe was mellow, there was plenty of thundering groove and their usual dynamics. Take some time with the entirety of 11-08-1970 (including the NRPS), which has a well-known reputation as great-show-lousy-tape. If nothing else, stream the finale Good Lovin' for a few minutes, and make a mental note to come back and CHECK THE WHOLE THING OUT. http://www.archive.org/details/gd1970-11-08.aud.lee.pcrp.26975.shnf

There is also a (Charlie Miller) doctored upgrade of the Dead sets, and it's well worth hearing/having.

With little or nothing in the band's vault from the second half of 1970, we don't really know what we're missing, but I suspect a lot of nights not unlike 11-08-70. 1970? 3rd best "year" after '68 and '72, imho. Wild groovy music.

1970 was a great, great year. Maybe their best. Lots of variety in the set lists every night coupled w/ truly inspired playing. I think why '70 might not get the acclaim it deserves is because so little of it is in the Dead's tape vault. Basically everything after May is missing. There are some amazing shows that can still be heard in audience tapes, however. The Port Chester run from November mentioned in the previous post is amazing! As is the September run from the Fillmore East. The long jam from the 2nd electric set from Port Chester on 6/24, also mentioned by a previous poster, might be my favorite tape from the 70's. From Deadlists.... Dark Star [10:20] > Attics Of My Life [5:34] > Dark Star [7:48] > Sugar Magnolia [1:43] > Dark Star [3:01] > Saint Stephen [6:13] > China Cat Sunflower [3:02] > Jam [2:05] > I Know You Rider [4:17]

It's even better than it looks, friends. Much better than the similar jam fromm 10/31/71 that was released as DP2.

And I definitely prefer the acoustic sets from 1970 over 1980. Ever listen to the versions of "Dark Hollow" and "I've Been All Around This World" from Bear's Choice? I think they are much better then the later versions. Also love the Bob & Jerry versions of "Silver Threads And Golden Needles" and "Wake Up Little Susie" that populated the acoustic sets.Then you add in Pigpen doing stuff like "Katie Mae" or "The Rub" well I just think 1970 is the stronger year. Of course, YMMV.

And I definitely prefer the acoustic sets from 1970 over 1980. Ever listen to the versions of "Dark Hollow" and "I've Been All Around This World" from Bear's Choice? I think they are much better then the later versions. Also love the Bob & Jerry versions of "Silver Threads And Golden Needles" and "Wake Up Little Susie" that populated the acoustic sets.Then you add in Pigpen doing stuff like "Katie Mae" or "The Rub" well I just think 1970 is the stronger year. Of course, YMMV.

My milage varies because: I think the Dead were too young to be singing some of the songs in 1970 compared to '80. Bob was barely past puberty and so his voice gets better later, and the wear & tear on Garcia's voice adds to "Oh Babe It Ain't No Lie," "Been All Around This World," "To Lay Me Down" and a few others where a certain weariness is needed. (Not that he was doing all those in '70.) Bob's "Cassidy" hadn't been written yet in 1970 and is one of the strongest songs in the set in '80. An acoustic "Bird Song" from '80 I'll put up against the electric ones from '72 (and I love those!) and again, another song that didn't exist in '70. And I'll admit it, I like the humor of "Monkey And The Engineer." And finally, just about every acoustic show in 1980 ends with "Ripple." I do like the songs unique to '70 that you mention though, and the tracks from "Bear's Choice" make that album.

But to clarify, saying '70 is my least favorite year from '68-'77 is like…well pretend those year abbreviations are temperatures on sunny days off. I'll happily enjoy 70, it's just a matter of a degree. And as noted earlier, I'm more a fan of Fillmore in Feb. and the fall shows, along with 6/24 than the May entries. We Deadheads can be picky (and should be!)

And I know this makes me a bad Deadhead, but I always thought New Riders Of The Purple Sage was a much better band name than band, hence having them thrown into the mix has never been a bonus for me.

[

My milage varies because: I think the Dead were too young to be singing some of the songs in 1970 compared to '80. Bob was barely past puberty and so his voice gets better later, and the wear & tear on Garcia's voice adds to "Oh Babe It Ain't No Lie," "Been All Around This World," "To Lay Me Down" and a few others where a certain weariness is needed. (Not that he was doing all those in '70.) Bob's "Cassidy" hadn't been written yet in 1970 and is one of the strongest songs in the set in '80. An acoustic "Bird Song" from '80 I'll put up against the electric ones from '72 (and I love those!) and again, another song that didn't exist in '70. And I'll admit it, I like the humor of "Monkey And The Engineer." And finally, just about every acoustic show in 1980 ends with "Ripple." I do like the songs unique to '70 that you mention though, and the tracks from "Bear's Choice" make that album.

Yes the Cassidy from Reckoning is brilliant and yes they way Jerry's voice aches on To Lay Me Down could never be done in 70 but aside from the funny stage banter you get a upbeat Don't Ease, Pig doing Lightning Hopkins tunes, the slow version of Rider which is so cool. Black Peter (one of my favorites) and Friend of the Devil they way it was meant to be heard (I hate the way they slowed it down starting in 76 and then after). Agree that 80 acoustic Bird Song vs 72 electric is a wash.

Edited by WorldB3

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting email from Dead.net:

What a long, strange trip it's been! In celebration of the 40th Anniversary of Workingman's Dead and American Beauty, we proudly present THE WARNER BROS. STUDIO ALBUMS, a five-LP boxed set commemorating those tremendous and transformative early years. Due September 21st, the collection contains The Grateful Dead (1967), Workingman's Dead, and American Beauty (1970), plus the original mixes for Anthem Of The Sun (1968) and Aoxomoxoa (1969), available on vinyl for the first time in nearly 40 years!

This stunning set also features detailed replicas of the original albums housed in a hard-shell case with an accompanying 12" x 12" book containing unpublished photos and new liner notes by our friend Blair Jackson. And as always, we've ensured the highest degree of quality - these albums were pressed on 180-gram vinyl at RTI using lacquers cut from the original analog masters. Now all you've got to do is gently place the needle on the record and slip into auditory bliss!

Order from Dead.net and receive an exclusive reproduction of a rare 1968 7" single (in a picture sleeve) that features the studio version of "Dark Star" (b/w "Born Cross-Eyed"), clocking in at a concise 2:38. You'll also receive a reproduction of a rare 1967 promotional poster from the Warner Bros. Records archive. The 7" and poster are yours only when you place your order at Dead.net.

Dead.net