Ever not check out a thread cuz it's too big???

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing, as a mostly-lurker here, that I've never understood, is why the avant-garde (or whatever you want to call it) seems so centered on one thread.  I know a lot of posters here (like myself) made their way from the BNBB, but the sheer length of it suggests that there's a lot of interest in it, and it could "infect" the rest of the board a little more. 

That's my 2c, without actually doing anything about it...  :P

For one thing, when you do talk about Free-Jazz, or A/G on other threads, you get a bunch of people who always grip about how "That's not jazz, it's just noise!" I, for one, am just damn tired of that act, so I don't even bother to talk about the kind of jazz I mostly listen to on anything but the "Funny Rat" thread.

I think it is great that, ever since this discussion started, the Funny Rat thread has been devoted almost exclusively to Coleman Hawkins.

:tup

One thing, as a mostly-lurker here, that I've never understood, is why the avant-garde (or whatever you want to call it) seems so centered on one thread.  I know a lot of posters here (like myself) made their way from the BNBB, but the sheer length of it suggests that there's a lot of interest in it, and it could "infect" the rest of the board a little more. 

That's my 2c, without actually doing anything about it...  :P

For one thing, when you do talk about Free-Jazz, or A/G on other threads, you get a bunch of people who always grip about how "That's not jazz, it's just noise!" I, for one, am just damn tired of that act, so I don't even bother to talk about the kind of jazz I mostly listen to on anything but the "Funny Rat" thread.

I think it is great that, ever since this discussion started, the Funny Rat thread has been devoted almost exclusively to Coleman Hawkins.

:tup

Yup, I wanted to drop a note about that here, too! We've discussed traditional, swinging, blues-drenched jazz there, on and off...

Until recently I avoided the Funny Rat thread precisely because of its length...(maybe it's time for "Son of Funny Rat"?) but a couple of weekends ago I did make my way through the first 43 pages, and I intend to finish reading it during some other slow time at work. Definitely a good thread to read/be in if you're at all interested in modern improv & free jazz. It would be cool to see more threads about individual artists.

• 3 weeks later...

But, seriously, if a thread has a lot of pages I generally look at the first page and then, if it seems interesting, I go to the last page. I then back up a page by page until I've gone back a few days or so and then go forward.

(The problem is remembering where you've left off if you don't visit every day. I must confess I sometimes keep track of thread pages numbers in my calendar...)

I have been meaning to check out the RUSH thread (The Group, not the radio guy!) but every time I am about to click on it, I see it's like 8-9 pages long! :blink:  I want to put in a good word, but don't want to wade thru that!

Anyone else lazy?

Yes! And this thread also became too long for me to check it out...