Aug 10th RVGs

mgraham333

One Flight Up is the one Dexter Blue Note I don't have.

I guess as the reports about the other Joe RVG have been positive I'll upgrade this Joe.

I've never heard Free For All and have really been looking forward to it.

Guess I'll be pre-ordering them all except for Destination Out as I have the Select.:)

For the last batch I ordered a couple from Deepdiscountcd and only Action has been shipped so far. :angry:

Shoulda know better. <_<

If Tender Moments sounds better than the previous issued, I might go outa my way and upgrade - unless there is any confirmation for a Tyner Mosaic.

The Dexter Gordon suffers from a strange recording configuration: The drums were recorded in a booth with very direct sound, like standing where your speakers are, while the horns were recorded with the room ambience of that famous Paris studio - it was a large room, and Dexter and Donald Byrd sound like they were too distant from the mics. Too bad, as the music is excellent.

Quincy Posted: Jul 8 2004, 03:27 PM 

I've never heard Free For All and have really been looking forward to it.

Man, oh man do I envy you getting to hear this one for the first time. Along with INDESTRUCTIBLE!, my favorite of Blakey's recordings, almost unbelievably intense at times without for one minute ever resorting to hammy over the top "we're so hot" playing. Cannot wait for the sonic upgrade.

And IN 'N' OUT in there too, my favorite Joe Henderson BN! Plus DESTINATION...OUT! my favorite of Jackie's BNs (along with IT'S TIME!). A banner day, August 10 will be.

• 4 weeks later...

I just picked up several of the new RVGs, including the long-awaited title pictured in my avatar. I didn't get the Freddie- already had it, like it OK but don't really feel a need to upgrade that one. The McLean was part of the Select, so that wasn't a priority. I did however get the Gordon (had it on the Blue Note box, but really like it and want to hear the RVG), the Henderson and the Tyner.

Looking forward to hearing these! And of course if there are raves about sound improvement I'll probably get the rest of 'em. Damn this board- it hurts so good!

I noticed that on the cover of In'n Out it lists all players except McCoy who is referred to as "etc.". Kind of odd- reminds me of the first season of Gilligan's Island where the Professor and Mary Ann were "and the rest". Sometimes life just isn't fair. :bwallace:

If Tender Moments sounds better than the previous issued, I might go outa my way and upgrade - unless there is any confirmation for a Tyner Mosaic.

The Dexter Gordon suffers from a strange recording configuration: The drums were recorded in a booth with very direct sound, like standing where your speakers are, while the horns were recorded with the room ambience of that famous Paris studio - it was a large room, and Dexter and Donald Byrd sound like they were too distant from the mics. Too bad, as the music is excellent.

Thanks for the explanation of the recording of One Flight Up. I knew it sounded different, but didn't know why. It's one of the Blue Note's of Dexter's that I like the most (along with Our Man In Paris amd Go!). I may buy this. I have a one-sided deep groove New York copy of this that has unfortunate groove wear on side one that causes significant distortion in the horns :( Love the mono soundstage though.

I also enjoy "Tanya" from One Flight Up. The form of this mostly-modal tune is very long (which certainly helps the laid-back vibe) and I noticed a couple times the rhythm section was unsure of their place- they started to go into the walking four of the bridge a little too soon. They recovered very well, though (particularly NHOP) and created an "I meant to do that" moment. I hadn't noticed that before. B-) I also think the somewhat different sound of this one works well with the general attitude of the session; I don't think it's detrimental at all.

And what a great session it is! I think RVG did a nice job on this one. :tup

I don't think I've ever warmed up to this session cuz of the sound issues. I've always liked 'Doin' Alright' a little bit better. I may upgrade though if the RVG is an improvement.

Otherwise, with this batch I picked up the only two I've never, ever heard before: Tender Moments and Blue Spirits. The former was the Holy Grail of sorts that I longed to hear but never tracked down. 'Blue Spirits' was kinda like 'Here to Stay'; just a figment of my imagination. I truly feel like a kid again on Christmas morning with these two reissues.

Ironically I haven't listened much to the Tyner as 'Blue Spirits' has hooked me and won't let go. Outstanding across the board.

Peace :tup:tup

This batch arrived late in the day today. I was busy most of the afternoon and didn't get a chance to listen to any of them. About to take the drive home and listen to McCoy Tyner.

I did notice the return of the Blue and WHITE label. :tup

The only thing in this batch that I am familiar with is the McClean what was part of the Select a while back. So this should be fun!

I did notice the return of the Blue and WHITE label.

I know it doesn't make a difference with the sound, however, I do prefer the blue & white disks. I just like 'em better. icon12.gif

YES! Count me in as a Blue & White Label man. Once you get it, you don't want it taken away.