Chick Corea one week at the Blue Note

Wow, that's a good price. I've never picked it up. All I can say is that I do like the Origin band he had then, based on studio recordings. I'll be watching this thread with interest to see the comments.

Edited by DrJ

If you like the single album "Origin Live At The Blue Note" then you'll probably enjoy the box set which contains an awful lot more of the same. $32 seems a good price. I sold my set on ebay a week or so ago for $40+.

• 1 month later...

I happen to really dig this set. Origin is actually my favorite of Corea's work as a leader (including Return to Forever) and seeing them at Carnegie Hall was my first major jazz concert. The band really smokes and Corea's playing is a lot more mature than I've ever heard. I highly recommend it.

What should I add???? It's a great set but you could invest in the single disc Live at the Blue Note just to see if it's for your taste. The upside is if you realy like it you can keep the single disc with the set making it a seven cd set because the takes on this disc aren't in the set.

Cheers and you can guess I have it all as well and like it very much (just as Lon I was surprised too how much I did love it in fact).

Reinier

• 9 months later...

This is one of the best sets I've heard, recorded live. Contains wonderful Corea compositions like Sifu, Molecules, Double Image and Hand Me Down. The love song Soul Mates is probably one of his compositions for sheer beauty of the melody. The set also contains tributes to Bud Powell and Monk two of Chick's main influences.

It is also a chance to hear Chick stretching out for long solos on acoustic piano not mentioning the others. The sextet sounds rich.

The single disc is enough. There are not many more surprises in the box! I sold mine on eBay but still have the single CD.

If I remember correctly, the Penguin Guide suggests that the single disc contains the best versions of many of the songs on the box. I have the single disc and like it a lot.

Well that's true, but it also can be said about the "Plugged Nickel" box. Depends on how much you like the group and the music.

There aren't different versions on the PN single disc are there?

---

Now playing: Eric Kloss - African Cookbook