What's the worst thing about gigging?

Hardbopjazz

Well, if you were to play with an organist today they'd probably be using a lightweight simulator and you'd be pining for the old days of the real thing because the sims suck. Just like digital pianos suck! :)

I haul my B3 to every gig I do now and my bandmates are more than happy to help load and unload because the sound is so great. Nothing else comes close.

That said, my biggest complaint about gigs is when either a) nobody cares what you're playing and/or B) there's nobody there to listen.

My biggest complaint about gigs is that, thus far, they don't pay me enough to quit my day job.

John Abercrombie once said that schlepping the gear is the worst part of gigs.

Acoustics are make-or-break for me. I hate playing in rooms with bad acoustics. Can't hear shit, and what you can hear sounds like shit. And no matter what you do, it always seems too loud.

Now we need a counter thread about what we love about playing gigs.

The lady at the bar that has to request tunes she thinks she heard Sinatra sing so that she can be the show instead of the band.

The drunk guy that asks our guitar player for "Freebird" or "Margaritaville" (we're a straight-ahead jazz trio).

Edited by Pete B

That said, my biggest complaint about gigs is when either a) nobody cares what you're playing and/or B) there's nobody there to listen.

Me too.

Gear is only a problem if theres stairs involved or I have to watch my equipment so nobody messes with it or steals anything.

that would go for me as well ..indifference and apathy are high on the list ..

also ( as a drummer) continually being told to tone it down ..so we can hear the raging drunks better ..

schlepping gear is very on my list of ass pains as well..

might as well toss in sleaze bag clubowners who screw you over about bread ..

Agreed. You know things are bad when you look over at your drummer after a song has ended and he says half-jokingly "Wait for it...." (the applause that is). Seconds immediately turn into an eternity!

About three months ago at the conclusion of a set I actually put my guitar down, walked off stage, sat down at the nearest table, and applauded the band. It may of been perceived buy some as an unprofessional smart ass thing to do. In reality, it was just an attempt at some self deprecating humor. I wish more people enjoyed jazz!

• 2 weeks later...

On jazz gigs:

Hauling gear.

everything else, I can deal with. If people aren't listening, it's a chance to play all the weird shit that you never get to play for attentive crowds. Always wanted to play all of the tunes off of Journey to Sandina--blah blah blah? (you know, the Alice Coltrane record with Joe and Pharaoh) Play all of that stuff when you know nobody cares! Loud drunks? A chance to turn up. Freebird requests? Play 'em, and play 'em so outside that you freak people out. (My trio actually does this. If you're willing to suggest Freebird to a Tenor/Bass/Drums duo, you have it coming...)

Jobbing dates:

lead singers who can't sing in tune

lead singers who call awful tunes

lead singers who sing awful tunes out of key

dance band pianists who insist on playing on every quarter note

hotels that won't let you mingle with the audience.

hotels that won't let the band drink.

hotels that won't let the band use the fucking bathroom.

unpaid overtime

Playing Celebration

Playing Celebration with a horn section that tries to swing it

that's just what I can think of in the first minute or so...

lead singers who can't sing in tune

lead singers who sing awful tunes out of key

lead singers who can't sing in time

lead singers who sing awful tunes out of time

lead singers who sing awful tunes out of time and give you "the look" when they are impossible to follow

Freebird requests?  Play 'em, and play 'em so outside that you freak people out.  (My trio actually does this.  If you're willing to suggest Freebird to a Tenor/Bass/Drums duo, you have it coming...)

Some friends of mine do an incredible Reggae version of Brown Eyed Girl.

Dutch Henry will only do it when someone has been bugging them for Brown Eyed Girl. The funny part is then watching the drunks trying to dance to it. :lol:

Edited by Upright Bill

• 3 weeks later...