Gil Evans-inspired rock songs?

bertrand

In her Gil Evans bio, Stephanie Stein Crease suggests that the Doors 'Light My Fire' is inspired by the Gil Evans composition 'Jambangle' (I assume she is not referring to the leprechaun intro to the Doors ditty, which I have been told may have been lifted from somewhere else). From what I remember of Gil's tune, it seems like a stretch.

Also, I one read that the Jefferson Airplane song 'Bear Melt' (which is more or less an improvisation on-stage) was inspired by a Gil Evans 'composition'. The only thing that comes close is 'Where Flamingos Fly', which Gil only arranged.

Any opinions?

Bertrand.

In her Gil Evans bio, Stephanie Stein Crease suggests that the Doors 'Light My Fire' is inspired by the Gil Evans composition 'Jambangle' (I assume she is not referring to the leprechaun intro to the Doors ditty, which I have been told may have been lifted from somewhere else). From what I remember of Gil's tune, it seems like a stretch.

Also, I one read that the Jefferson Airplane song 'Bear Melt' (which is more or less an improvisation on-stage) was inspired by a Gil Evans 'composition'. The only thing that comes close is 'Where Flamingos Fly', which Gil only arranged.

Any opinions?

Bertrand.

Wasn't there a quote from Grace Slick about how "White Rabbit" was composed after heavy listening to Sketches of Spain?

Guy

I think she meant the part that goes "Come along and light my fire" or something like that. It does sound like final phrase in "Jambangle". However right after I read that, I was listening to something recorded earlier than "Jambangle" which used the same phrase. But now I can't reember what it was. ( I was listening to both some early Basie and some Claude Thornhill at the time. )

Gil was not above borrowing. I once hearad a radio program where the dj played something from an Lp of Spanish music and pointed out that it was pretty much the same as one of the Evans "compositions" on Sketches of Spain.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The song "Rejoyce", written by Grace on the Airplane's "After Bathing at Baxter's" was supposedly inspired by Sketches of Spain. I've often wondered if she did the arrangement herself or what- it's really pretty good. She may have had more talent than she actually bothered to use.

The end of "Touch Me' may have been inspired by Ajax, but I'm afraid the dirt was stronger after all.

'Rejoyce' is (in my opinion) the best song she ever wrote; I also like 'Hey Frederick' and 'Eskimo Blue Day' a lot, but the former is mostly a jam session (the last 5 minutes or so), and the latter is co-written with Kantner, whose songwriting skills are truly all over the map.

Bertrand.