Ellington Recs

Guy Berger

Hey folks,

I'm finally starting to dig into the Ellington catalogue and have two questions before I place any orders:

1) If I were to buy only one of Ellington Uptown or Afro-Eurasian Eclipse, which one should it be? (I'm leaning toward the former.)

2) As far as early stuff, am I better off picking up the Okeh (Columbia) and Brunswick/Vocalion (Decca/GRP) sets, or taking the Chronological Classics route. Would those two sets be sufficiently comprehensive for the years they cover, or would I be missing major recordings? Which set is better to start with?

Guy

1) My preference would be for AFRO-EURASIAN ECLIPSE, but not for lack of merit on UPTOWN'S part. I'm really, really fond of later Duke (flaws and all), that's all. If nothing else, get ECLIPSE for the opening monologue, which is deep.

2) I have no opinion. But you're most likely going to end up wanting/getting it all in some form or fashion.

1. I'd have said Uptown, because I have a weakness for Betty Roche. No problem with Eclipse, though. An apple or an orange?

2. The Brunswick/Vocalion set is a broader and deeper overview of early Ellington than the Okeh set. Many of the Okeh performances don't seem as fresh. The Brunswick/Vocalion set has higher highs. Lower lows, too, but now many.

Assembling the Classics collection is frustrating and expensive. I gave up trying.

I'm with Randy - that box is a terrific bargain. My understanding is that it duplicates the Classics cds. It sounds okay and the music is terrific. I've worked my way through about 25 of the cds so far, and my only complaint is that one of the cds had the wrong sides on it (1935-36 I think) so I'll have to make that up somehow. Still, for less than $50 I can' t complain too much. It's available here:

Sir Duke Box Set

for 41.99 + shipping. I like the fact that everything is in chronological order regardless of label.

Don't make me choose between Uptown and Eclipse! Apple and Orange as Jim has said.

As for the early material, now at this point I would say get either one of the domestic sets used as cheaply as possible and see what you think. IF you really really like the resulting purchase, look into getting the Classics volumes sequentially. . . . That's a good way to get it all (in conjuction with Neatworks for the alternates) if that is where you feel you are headed.

The funny thing here is...no matter what you get, you'll be getting something good. The thing is to maximize the purchase and get the most bang for the buck. that's assuming you dig Duke and are going to stay with this. So, I'm for obtaining the most complete sets that are in good sound. i.e RCA reissues, Classsics, etc.

....but don't go too crazy here...you can't get hurt.

A question about the 40 CD box -- how is the documentation relative to the Classics CDs?

So I went for Eclipse (and Such Sweet Thunder, which I was set on picking up), though I'm sure a purchase of Uptown lies somewhere in my future.

Hopefully in a couple of months, once I work off the backlog created by yesterday's CD purchasing insanity, I'll be able to get to work on the early Ellington stuff.

Guy

A question about the 40 CD box -- how is the documentation relative to the Classics CDs?

The documentation is essentially nil. Still, they are so much cheaper than the Classics, and the sound, though not quite as good as the Classics, is fine, so Iwouldn't warn you off of it based on the liners. Anyhow, a great web sessionography like Duke Ellington Panorama will make up for the box set's shortcomings.

My biggest problem with the History box was that is missed a half doxen titles here and there and then most of a couple Classics discs.

So I went for Eclipse (and Such Sweet Thunder, which I was set on picking up), though I'm sure a purchase of Uptown lies somewhere in my future.

I'm still in the minor leagues with only 20 titles, but both Uptown and Eclipse are delightful. Uptown is my favorite of the 3 Columbias recently re-issued. Eclipse gets bonus points for the cover! :)

Hopefully in a couple of months, once I work off the backlog created by yesterday's CD purchasing insanity, I'll be able to get to work on the early Ellington stuff.

I wouldn't begrudge anyone who went for the massive value box but I've decided it isn't for me. I think I'll just plug along and pick up more manageable portions as I go. The nice thing about being "behind" is that there is a lot to choose from, and thus the greater likelihood that something can be found used or on sale.

Thanks for your post as it reminded me to resume looking for more early material!

Early, middle, or late - so much great music to choose from!

Edited by Quincy