Three new Ellington Columbia reissues today!

jazzbo

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was it just my headphones, the general sense of disorientation caused by superimposing Ellington onto the environment I was in, or does PIANO IN THE FOREGROUND have moments of hard-panned-between registers stuff going on. There were moments when Duke was playing spread unisons, and I could have sworn it was two different pianos or something, just because the sound seemed so hard panned. But I was just trippin', most likely.

Great record, though. Well worth the 30+ year wait, to put it mildly...

I'm picking up BLUES IN ORBIT next Monday--will get the other two soon. (I have the old PIANO IN THE FOREGROUND import CD, and it's just as good as Lon says it is...)

Also not to be overlooked, coming out next week:

Duke Ellington, TREASURY SHOWS V. 10

The music on these two CD's (51 tunes) has never been released before. The music is taken from 4 radio broadcasts in New York City in 1945 – part live and part in the radio studio. Aside from providing great big band jazz for the radio audience, the point of these broadcasts was also for Duke Ellington to sell war bonds in the final year of World War II. The repertoire consists mostly of well-known Ellington numbers, plus a few rarities. These radio broadcasts are particularly important because commercial studio recordings were banned during World War II. One tune on CD 2 – "I Miss Your Kiss", featuring the great trombone work of Lawrence Brown – was never recorded commercially. Other highpoints are Johnny Hodges' smooth alto sax on "Mood to be Wooed", and Rex Stewart's trumpet work on "Emancipation Celebration".
--from Worlds Records e-mail

B0002DXC6E.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

How are the other volumes in this series? Are they worth getting as well?

I picked up these three. I like Blues In Orbit best followed by Foreground and Background (in that order).

One interesting note. The HDCD indicator on my CD player goes on and off throughout all three of these discs. Maybe the DSD remastering is causing the player some confusion... :wacko:

Previously the only time I've seen the HDCD indicator is when a disk known to be in HDCD format is playing.

Anybody else with an HDCD capable player see this behavior? Mine is the Denon DCM-380

Can't comment on the HDCD; haven't got a player that uses it working right now. I can comment on the Treasury Shows: I have all previous nine volumes, have the tenth on the way. I love this series! Lovingly done as far as sound restoration and wonderful performances! If you dig the forties Ellington they're great to have!

How are the other volumes in this series? Are they worth getting as well?

Definitely worthwhile getting all of the previous and subsequent volumes IMO. One of the greatest Ellington bands, great selection of Ellingtonia/songs and good sound quality. Even the announcements and bond promos make for interesting listening.

One interesting note.  The HDCD indicator on my CD player goes on and off throughout all three of these discs.  Maybe the DSD remastering is causing the player some confusion...  :wacko:

I haven't heard the Ellingtons yet (but will soon B-) ) but I've noticed what you describe in a few other SONY reissues--namely, Dan Hicks' Most of the Hotlicks, and on the Count Basie 4-disc set. On each one, only certain tracks register as HDCD. In all cases, the complete song is HDCD, but it's only some of the tracks, and no mention of it anywhere in the production notes. I guess SONY's commitment to HDCD technology is a wee bit, uh, tentative.

Edited by Hank

One interesting note.  The HDCD indicator on my CD player goes on and off throughout all three of these discs.  Maybe the DSD remastering is causing the player some confusion...  :wacko:

Anybody else with an HDCD capable player see this behavior?  Mine is the Denon DCM-380

I have the same Denon player. I'm still waiting on the latest Ellington batch (I'm not lazy, I was on vacation ;)) but I've noticed the same the thing happening as Hank described. In fact with the previous batch of Columbia Ellingtons (Masterpieces, Uptown & Festival) the HDCD light would come on for some songs but not others.

Perhaps I should try to remember to keep a listening log and see for which songs the light shines for thee. :wacko:

Edited by Quincy

How are the other volumes in this series?  Are they worth getting as well?

Definitely worthwhile getting all of the previous and subsequent volumes IMO. One of the greatest Ellington bands, great selection of Ellingtonia/songs and good sound quality. Even the announcements and bond promos make for interesting listening.

Thanks. I'll have to give them a try.

Duke Ellington, TREASURY SHOWS V. 10

The music on these two CD's (51 tunes) has never been released before. The music is taken from 4 radio broadcasts in New York City in 1945 – part live and part in the radio studio. Aside from providing great big band jazz for the radio audience, the point of these broadcasts was also for Duke Ellington to sell war bonds in the final year of World War II. The repertoire consists mostly of well-known Ellington numbers, plus a few rarities. These radio broadcasts are particularly important because commercial studio recordings were banned during World War II. One tune on CD 2 – "I Miss Your Kiss", featuring the great trombone work of Lawrence Brown – was never recorded commercially. Other highpoints are Johnny Hodges' smooth alto sax on "Mood to be Wooed", and Rex Stewart's trumpet work on "Emancipation Celebration".
--from Worlds Records e-mail

B0002DXC6E.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

There's been a lot of discussion on the Duke-Lym list-serve about this sound quality (or lack there-of) of this latest release. Complaints of too much compression. I haven't heard it yet so I can't comment.

Medjuck, what were some of the comments? What I'm noticing is a tendency for the music to fade back and then in again--very annoying, as the music itself is wonderful. It's actually more irritating than surface noise, which I can always live with.