#15 - Blindfold Test (Discussions)

marcoliv

after re-reading all posts it is amazing how the bass of track 7 is constantly mentioned as a negative point of the song.

it really is - an acoustic bass would not have fitted the style of this album as well. James Cammack does a fine job without getting too close to Jacoisms.

Other than this, the musical value of the tracks seems to be seen as good throughout, that is why the opinions agree so widely this time.

In retrospect I shake my head about not recognizing Eric Dolphy :wacko::blink::rolleyes:

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here I go.

Marcus overall I would say I really enjoyed the cd, thanks so very much for putting it together. And thanks Big Al for sending it my way. :tup

#1 - Not really my thing, but it could have been worse ;) . My guess is something from your end of the world. Now let's see how wrong I am.

#2 - Tenor has a Houston Person type feel, so maybe it is?

#3 - Real nice sound, and an interesting piece of music. No idea on the players.

#4 - I couldn't really get into this one. Maybe I need to give it a few more listens.

#5 - Enjoyed this one a lot. First thought was Cedar Walton with some new blood, but I think I'm way off the mark.

#6 - Hey what do you know, "Four Brothers" is the tune. Don't know the sax, could it be Milt on vibes?

#7 - Not too bad, is that Kirk Lightsey on piano? Probably not. <_<

#8 - I liked this, liked it a lot. :tup

All over the place on this one. Could be Tyner on Piano, initially I wanted to say Shorter on tenor, but I'm not so sure.

#9 - It don' mean a thing, and I'd say this one did swing. Oscar Peterson? If that's an electric bass, my guess is probably way off.

#10 - Mingus?

#11 - Don't know the players, but a real pretty piece.

#12 - A little weird.

#13 - A great one for sure.

#14 - What can I say, I liked it. A somehwat familiar tune, played by....????

Cyrus Chestnut? Oh hell, I don't know, but I'll probably be looking for this one.

#15 - Beautiful voice, no idea on the singer.

Oops, I meant #8 not #4 above. This thing is still getting me. It's probably so obvious, I was counting on someone to make a stab here.

It does sound a wee big bit like Shorter but nah. The piano seems a bit too light at the right hand to be Tyner, would you agree? The duality of the horns is really, really great as someone had mentioned earlier. I would like to think it might be some Charlie Haden thing just cause you mentioned L.A. but he's not so up in the mix as his sessions, right? Is it more modern in terms of L.A. or a seventies or earlier piece?? Hmmm?

Oops, I meant #8 not #4 above. This thing is still getting me. It's probably so obvious, I was counting on someone to make a stab here.

The piano seems a bit too light at the right hand to be Tyner, would you agree?

Is it more modern in terms of L.A. or a seventies or earlier piece?? Hmmm?

Vint, i don't think is that obvious but Bright Moments may have a clue right now... ;)

it isn't Tyner and according to AMG this group is from L.A.

Marcus