is Larry Correyell still good?

Guest ariceffron

Guest ariceffron

who has info re- should i see him in concert next month. i thought he doesnt play much anymore. or maybe he just doesnt play in public. i dont know. what does he sound like now

I saw Larry Coryell with a 4tet about 4 years ago and was very satisfied with the show. One of his sons (Julian?) was also on guitar who didn't take but a couple of solos. The show was very much in a straight ahead vein, no fusion in sight. The highlight of the show for me was the drumming of Kenwood Denard who I spoke with after the show. I told him he reminded me of Boston percussion icon Alan Dawson and he told me he had had studied with him. I'd say go see him.

I just saw Larry Coryell with Badi Assad and John Abercrombie (they have a new CD on Chesky) about a month ago at Montreal Jazz Festival. I saw many good shows while I was there, but his group was one of the best. All acoustic and some Brazilian flavor. I think I will see Larry Coryell again next month at Detroit Jazz Festival. I am looking forward to seeing him again.

No

He is better

I didn't like for a long time cause when I first heard him I was saturated with the virtuoso stuff from Mclaughlin/Di Meola gangs.

Recently I heard his CD Cedars of Avalon - the material is mainly standarts and tunes composed be jazzmen, the band is great:

Cedar Walton, Billy Drummond, Buster Williams.

Larry sounds like a refined mixture of Pat Martino and Wes, more relaxed and logical than in his fusion days.

Larry was Guest of Honor at the Telluride Jazz Celebration a couple of weeks ago. He was also there the year before. Definitely active, recording and at the top of his game. This year with a killer trio, Lenny White and Mark Egan (of Pat Metheny bands).

His new CD is TriCycles on In and Out Records with Egan and Paul Wertico.

I agree about Cedars. Good stuff.