Rick James, RIP

John B

from the mercurynews.com:

Posted on Fri, Aug. 06, 2004

Funk singer Rick James dies in Los Angeles

Associated Press

LOS ANGELES - Funk singer Rick James, best known for the 1981 hit "Super Freak," died Friday, apparently of natural causes, police said.

James, 56, died at 9:45 a.m. at a residence near Universal City, said Officer Esther Reyes, a Police Department spokeswoman.

"He died apparently of natural causes. We learned of his death after responding to a radio call," Reyes said.

After his big hit, James' fame began to fade as he became embroiled in legal problems and health troubles.

James was convicted in 1993 of assaulting two women. The first attack occurred in 1991 when he restrained and burned a young woman with a hot pipe during a cocaine binge at his house in West Hollywood. He was free on bail when the second assault occurred in 1992 in James' hotel room.

James was sentenced to more than two years in state prison.

In 1997, he released a new album, but a year later he suffered a stroke while performing at Denver's Mammoth Events Center, derailing a comeback tour.

In 1998 he also underwent hip replacement surgery.

RIP

Rick James was a major talent. He was really a breath of funky air when he came along. He gave funk a whole new twist. His song writing was excellent.

Man, it makes me feel old when I hear that people like Rick James are dying of "natural causes."

Rick James was at my friend's husband's jazz gig about a month ago and he was havin' a ball, eating up a storm of stuff that wasn't exactly healthy. My friend did say he was a lot of fun to hang with and I believe he even sat in awith the trio nd sang a Rick James version of "My Funny Valentine."

Marla

i read that yesterday on the internet and listened to all the music that i have from him since then

it is sad to know that someone who provided to us some of the best music in the 80's on the funk scene died largely forgotten

his collaborations with Teena Marie/Bruni Pagan were very good too and let's not forget his side project with the Stone City Band and their sensational Ladie's Choice!!

thanks Rick

Marcus

I remember hearing older Rick James (pre-"Super Freak") for the first time not too long ago and being mightily impressed with how good a singing voice he had. The "Super Freak" era stuff is fun and catchy as hell, but it sounded to me like he'd already started to decline as a musician by that point for sure.

Sorry to hear about his passing, we'll miss you Rick but your music lives in the daily playlists of a million "R&B and 'old school'" radio stations in the U.S.

A friend of mine agreed to shoot some camera footage of a concert for Teena Marie. After not getting paid for all of his work, my friend held the footage. Teena Marie's people called him to meet and when he went they tried to act all gangster and were physically intimidating him. My friend said, "Look, all I want is to be paid what we agreed to." Luckily he had his girlfriend with him, he didn't bring the footage, and managed to leave. He said had he been alone, he's not sure what they would have done.

Eventually, they reluctantly gave him a small amount of money (not the amount agreed to) and my friend just gave them the footage to sever ties. "Crack heads," he explained.

Heard this while on my way to the San Jose Jazz Festival. Just shocked and very saddened by his death. I love James' music and yet I'm surprised to find I have not one record by him. That will change next weekend. He has always been high on my Most Talendted list. He had a wonderful, powerful, expressive singing voice. It's sad that he died just as he had cleaned up his life and was starting to get back on track with his career. He suffered from diabetes and had a stroke a couple years ago so he wasn't in the best health.

Last night I was watching the Funk Brothers documentary and I looked at all the folks who have left us, and together with James' death, it just made me cry.

RIP, brother Rick.