Don Byron, "Romance with the Unknown"

Bol

I think this one is oop. But I've just spotted a copy at a used store here. Does anyone have an opinion on it?

I've never heard Byron. But I've been wondering why more contemporary musicians do not play clarinet. The quartet lineup with Frisell looks interesting. And I think Byron is supposed to release a new CD with Jason Moran soon.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I, too, like this one. In part, I think, because it's one of his more straightforward, less concepty albums. Or, maybe, the concept is just too subtle for the likes o' me. Not quite an 'old school' blowing session, but much more to that side than a lot of his other stuffs (some of which I like too). Clarinet is, of course, a lovely instrument but I think it's strong association with the Swing era may have held it back in more modern times. Most of us, after all, pick our instruments when we're just starting out and are prone to making superfical judgements....