FS: Mosaic Johnny Hodges Sessions 1951-1955

Brad

Unless the Blue Moons are needle drops, they didn't "steal" them from Mosaic. Any other source for these Hodges sessions on CD?

The Blue moons were copyrighted 1995.. the recordings were 53 -54, and therefore not public domain. Unless the source was an agreement with verve, which I doubt,I suspect that the Frech verve LP set, the ones with the cartoon rabbits on the cover, were probably the source.

Other than possiblr Japanese reissues, I don't think there is much of this period of Hodges on CD.

One of these Mosaics just ended on eBay and it went for only $126 (+ ~$30 shipping from the UK). Another ends in a few days and it's currently only at $71. These prices seem a far cry from what this set used to get. I guess the Blue Moon CDs are hurting the value a bit.

I'll have to look into those Blue Moons. This Mosaic has been high on my want list for years (along with the Shorty Rogers). Maybe I should just get the Blue Moons and be done with it?

Later,

Kevin

That was me who picked this one up. Shipping within the UK will be £5, making a grand total of £73.66 for this set. I'm pretty damn chuffed, to say the least.. :excited:

Edited by sidewinder

You are correct UBU.. these are mainly the "Paris" sets.

My comment about availability was directed at the verve recordings.

Vol 1 & 2 of the Blue Moons cover the "Paris" sessions .

To me the sound quality is fine.. and unless some souper dooper reissue comes out I'd recommend buying these unless you have to have Mosaic vinyl.

Just to bitch... I wish the two Mosaic sets had not been so strictly " small group"

We miss the Ellintonia 56 tracks by Hodges with the Ellington Orchestra

The Happy One

Duke's Jam

Night Walk

You Got it Coming

Which were recorded more or less between the two Mosaic sets ( The other half of that verve album is in set two.. Texas Blues etc.

The Happy One has Hodges against a roaring Brass section, and Duke's Jam is more or less a head with the whole band getting into the swing of things finalising close to chaos with some fun chase choruses by the trumpet section.

I hope these aren't " lost" for ever.. my LP is a bit worn out., but I don't know what they could be combined with to avoid duplication of music already available.

I hear ya, P.D.! Just wanted to advertise a bit for the Vogue disc - did that several times on this board, already, and NEVER had any reaction, so far. Now it's OOP, I think, but I got mine fairly recently. Glorious music!

I'll go for the Blue Moon's, some fine day. No need to have Mosaic Vinyl (in fact, I have the Pepper and Brooks on vinyl, and have never been too enthusiastic about sound quality. The Clayton though, my third and last vinyl Mosaic, is great, but then the other two were not Q-LPs or what they call that.)

ubu

I hear ya, P.D.! Just wanted to advertise a bit for the Vogue disc - did that several times on this board, already, and NEVER had any reaction, so far. Now it's OOP, I think, but I got mine fairly recently. Glorious music!

Ubu, you want reaction?

I'm joining in on praising those Johnny Hodges sides. I have these on an earlier Vogue Lp reissue.

Jeez, if I had to post reactions on albums I like every time they're mentioned on this Board, I would have more posts than the honourable JSngry!

And I'ld be out of a job ;)

Ubu, you want reaction?

I'm joining in on praising those Johnny Hodges sides. I have these on an earlier Vogue Lp reissue.

Jeez, if I had to post reactions on albums I like every time they're mentioned on this Board, I would have more posts than the honourable JSngry!

And I'ld be out of a job ;)

Brownie, I almost got the feeling that maybe I'm the only one who likes that disc (and thus I'd have been in for a new pair of ears...)

ubu -_-

Brownie, I almost got the feeling that maybe I'm the only one who likes that disc (and thus I'd have been in for a new pair of ears...)

ubu  -_-

Count me in as one who enjoys the music on that disc. I initially got it for the Hawk session (wasn't much into Hodges then) but the Hodges sessions have grown on me since. :)