Wes Montgomery session

Hardbopjazz

This shows the 1962 date:

http://www.jazzdisco.org/wes/dis/c/#620625

The 1965 date you have seems to be for the Paris sessions that have been widely bootleged/issued.

Johnny Griffin (ts -8/11) Harold Mabern (p) Wes Montgomery (g) Arthur Harper (b) Jimmy Lovelace (d)

Theatre des Champs-Elysees, Paris, France, March 27, 1965

1. Four on Six BYG (J) YX 4016/17

2. Twisted Blues (Wes' Rhythm) -

3. Impressions -

4. To Wane (To When) -

5. Jingles (Mr. Walker) -

6. The Girl Next Door (To Django) -

7. Here's That Rainy Day -

8. 'Round About Midnight -

9. Full House Esoldun (F) FC 108

10. Blue 'n' Boogie -

11. West Coast Blues -

* Wes Montgomery - Solitude (BYG (J) YX 4016/17)

* Wes Montgomery Live in Paris 1965 (Esoldun (F) FC 108)

Edited by Eric

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, the 6/25/62 Tsubo/Berkeley session is the one identified on "Full House" CD itself.

The terrific 3/27/65 Paris concert can currently be found in this 2-disc Definitve set:

B00008HAU8.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Both "Full House" and "Complete Live in Paris 1965" are highly recommended, and present live Wes at his best. :tup:tup:tup

Edited by Ron S

I take it AMG screwed up (didn't want to take the time to open their page on my dial-up connection... takes too long). If so, great surprise there. Use AMG with caution. :rolleyes:

Yes they must have messed up. I am well aware of Full House. I wore out the record when that's all they was. I played the CD many times. But when I saw June 25, 1962, I got all excited and thought it was a new discovery.

Okay here's one I would like to pin down as far as date. I have a boot of Wes at the Half Note. The date is Feb 12, 1965. Friday night jazz broadcast from the HHalf Note on WABC, hosted ny Alan Grant. The line up is Wes, Wynton Kelly, Ron Carter and Bill Cobham. The set list is is listed below.

1) So what

2) Mi Cosa

3) Blues

4) Birks Works

5) Laura

6) Cariba

7) A Little Blues

8) 4 on 6

9) Unknown title

10) Unknown title

11) Unknown title

Ah, I see you added this to the previous topic- I had been looking for a new thread. :unsure:

HBJ and I exchanged a couple of PM's on this. My first thought was that 2/12/65 was wrong, because that's the date (according to the info I have) that he recorded with Mabern, Harper and Lovelace (originally released in part on Beppo LP "Kings Of The Guitar"; and later on the "Stretching Out Live In '65" CD as well as the "Private Recordings and Raritites" CD out of Italy on the Suisa label). Of course, Wes was at the Half Note in June and September of '65...

I also was a bit surprised to see Billy Cobham's name... (sounds a lot like "Cobb", too, iykwim).

HBJ, you asked me for the track listings for the previous releases dating to 2/12/65:

On the original Beppo LP, they included:

caravan, round midnight, and 4 on 6.

On "Stretching Out..." as well as on the Suisa CD, they included the above, plus "here's that rainy day"

Also Jim, on this recording, Donald Byrd is in the audience. Alan Grant tells Wes, and Wes asks Allen where is he at, after he sees him he says hello. Track 3 and 7 are Wes tunes which I don't recall hearing before. Wes states the titles as #3 "Blues" and #7 as "a Little Blues".

Edited by Hardbopjazz

I have to correct 2 things. First it is Jimmy Cobb on drums. Second Wes opens by saying he wants to play So What, but ends up playing Impressions. Alan Grant says when the tune is done, "That was So what?" Wes giggles. He probable realized that he didn't play so what.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

Ron, I'll have to disagree. The Paris concert was very good. I was one of the lucky people in the audience but the Tsubo evening still remains beyond words. One of the five or six concerts I would have given anything to be in attendance!

'Full House' is one of the live date that continues to rock every time I listen to it!

Edited by brownie

I have to correct 2 things. First it is Jimmy Cobb on drums. Second Wes opens by saying he wants to play So What, but ends up playing Impressions. Alan Grant says when the tune is done, "That was So what?" Wes giggles. He probable realized that he didn't play so what.

Tom,

These tracks appear to be from several radio broadcasts in Fall 1965:

Wynton Kelly Trio with Wes Montgomery

Wynton Kelly (p) Wes Montgomery (g) Paul Chambers (b) Jimmy Cobb (d)

radio broadcast, "Half Note", NYC, September 24, 1965

Laura (Toko (J) WM94 12)

Cariba ( - )

The Theme (private tape)

* Wes Montgomery - Smokin' Guitar (Toko (J) WM94 12)

Wynton Kelly (p) Wes Montgomery (g) Ron Carter (b) Jimmy Cobb (d)

radio broadcast, "Half Note", NYC, November 5, 1965

Impressions (private tape)

Mi Cosa ( - )

No Blues ( - )

Wynton Kelly (p) Wes Montgomery (g) Larry Ridley (b) Jimmy Cobb (d)

radio broadcast, "Half Note", NYC, November 12, 1965

Birks' Works (Toko (J) WM94 12)

Four on Six ( - )

The Theme (private tape)

Wynton Kelly (p) Wes Montgomery (g) Herman Wright (b) Jimmy Cobb (d)

radio broadcast, "Half Note", NYC, November 19, 1965

All the Things You Are (Toko (J) WM94 12)

I Remember You ( - )

No Blues (private tape)

Wes Montgomery Discography

Edited by Ron S

Ron, I'll have to disagree. The Paris concert was very good. I was one of the lucky people in the audience but the Tsubo evening still remains beyond words. One of the five or six concerts I would have given anything to be in attendance!

'Full House' is one of the live date that continues to rock every time I listen to it!

Guy, perhaps to some extent it's like comparing apples and oranges, each wonderful in its own way. "Full House" certainly has an intimacy and informality lacking in the Paris concert, but the Paris concert features Wes' regular quartet at the time, and gives him more of an opportunity to stretch out. (However, the Paris concert is somewhat marred by the voice of that pushy professional photographer who keeps yelling at Wes to look his way for a picture.) By the way, do you have any photos from that concert you could post? :w

They're both great and, especially given the limited number of live Wes recordings available, I wouldn't be without either of them.

(However, the Paris concert is somewhat marred by the voice of that pushy professional photographer who keeps yelling at Wes to look his way for a picture.) By the way, do you have any photos from that concert you could post? :w

I plead Not Guilty! I was there as a plain Montgomery (and Griffin!) fan.

I had not started taking photos at concerts yet. I started at the top in June 1965 when Louis Armstrong and his All Stars gave a concert at the Paris Palais des Sports and remained at the top the following month when the John Coltrane quartet played that Salle Pleyel concert!

I often hear the chord changes to "So What" pretty clearly in some versions of "Impressions."

Edited by jazzbo

(However, the Paris concert is somewhat marred by the voice of that pushy professional photographer who keeps yelling at Wes to look his way for a picture.) By the way, do you have any photos from that concert you could post? :w

I plead Not Guilty! I was there as a plain Montgomery (and Griffin!) fan.

I had not started taking photos at concerts yet. I started at the top in June 1965 when Louis Armstrong and his All Stars gave a concert at the Paris Palais des Sports and remained at the top the following month when the John Coltrane quartet played that Salle Pleyel concert!

Guy, you're right--my mistake. It's recordings of the Armstrong and Coltrane '65 Paris concerts on which the "assertive" photographer can be heard. :P

Seriously, though, is there any chance you could post some of your favorite photos here sometime--maybe start a thread for that? :excited: I'm sure everyone would love to see them.

I have the Tsubo cd but the Paris 3/27/65 Paris set just made it on the to buy list.

Chris, it's fantastic, but don't take my word for it (not that anyone ever does :P )--AMG review and sound samples. It's every bit as good as--if not better than--"Full House" (Tsubo).

Ron I'll have to check out those samples but even without checking them out I'll take your word for it. Wes is one of my favorites and I'm looking forward to snapping this cd up.

Seriously, though, is there any chance you could post some of your favorite photos here sometime--maybe start a thread for that? :excited: I'm sure everyone would love to see them.

You'll have to be patient for this! Might take time!

If you're impatient, you can have a look at the latest issue of WaxPoetics which includes a little presentation of some of the photos!

You'll have to be patient for this! Might take time!

If you're impatient, you can have a look at the latest issue of WaxPoetics which includes a little presentation of some of the photos!

Thanks, Guy! And for others who may be interested, more info about Guy's WaxPoetics feature ("The New Music").

• 3 years later...

Tom,

These tracks appear to be from several radio broadcasts in Fall 1965:

Wynton Kelly (p) Wes Montgomery (g) Paul Chambers (b) Jimmy Cobb (d)

radio broadcast, "Half Note", NYC, September 24, 1965

Laura (Toko (J) WM94 12)

Cariba ( - )

The Theme (private tape)

Wynton Kelly (p) Wes Montgomery (g) Ron Carter (b) Jimmy Cobb (d)

radio broadcast, "Half Note", NYC, November 5, 1965

Impressions (private tape)

Mi Cosa ( - )

No Blues ( - )

Wynton Kelly (p) Wes Montgomery (g) Larry Ridley (b) Jimmy Cobb (d)

radio broadcast, "Half Note", NYC, November 12, 1965

Birks' Works (Toko (J) WM94 12)

Four on Six ( - )

The Theme (private tape)

Wynton Kelly (p) Wes Montgomery (g) Herman Wright (b) Jimmy Cobb (d)

radio broadcast, "Half Note", NYC, November 19, 1965

All the Things You Are (Toko (J) WM94 12)

I Remember You ( - )

No Blues (private tape)

Wes Montgomery Discography

I have to admit that I've lost some of my fanatacism over the years in terms of collecting everything by my favorite artists, but it still surprises me sometimes how under-the-radar things like this can be. I missed Ron's post, and since 2006 (!) I hadn't seen or heard any reference to this Japanese issue titled "Smokin' Guitar" (let alone seeing the CD itself). I just heard it today for the first time, and let's just say it was well worth the wait. Can't say I'm crazy about the cover art, but...

smokin.jpg

1. Birk's Works 5.35

2. Four On Six 8.24

3. Laura 6.53

4. Cariba 8.49

5. All The Things You Are 6.44

6. I Remember You 7.27

Half Note, N.Y.C., September 24 (tracks 3 and 4); November 12 (tracks 1 and 2); November 19 (tracks 5 and 6), 1965

Wes Montgomery-guitar; Wynton Kelly-piano; Larry Ridley-bass (1,2); Paul Chambers-bass (3,4); Herman Wright-bass (5,6); Jimmy Cobb-drums

I often hear the chord changes to "So What" pretty clearly in some versions of "Impressions."

They're exactly the same changes in the same key. The various perfomances might contain slight interpretive variations, but the form and chords are identical to So What.

That is exactly right. It was "So What" for the original, slow version. Miles speeded it up but left the melody the same (as on the "Four And More" album), but Trane changed the melody on his (fast) versions, which are called "Impressions" on the LPs and CDs. Trane used Morton Gould's "Pavanne" for the A part of the melody (this was recorded in the mid 50s by Ahmad Jamal, whose work influenced Miles so much), and a bit of Maurice Ravel's "Pavane Pour une Infante Défunte" in the B section.