Anybody have/heard Harold Vick's "Caribbean Suite"

jazzkrow

Yeah, I took a chance too - ordered the cd with the "chorus of breezy females" - always been a Vick fan - & I like the mellower soul-pop jazz voice/orchestra/horn thang from time to time... should be great - Hancock on piano also...RCA put out a lot of tasty vinyl...but would rather hear on cd.

AND to make the order "more of a value" I ordered up the Young Lions session on VeeJay with Morgan, Shorter, Strozier et al. <_<

Yeah, I took a chance too - ordered the cd with the "chorus of breezy females" - always been a Vick fan - & I like the mellower soul-pop jazz voice/orchestra/horn thang from time to time... should be great - Hancock on piano also...RCA put out a lot of tasty vinyl...but would rather hear on cd.

AND to make the order "more of a value" I ordered up the Young Lions session on VeeJay with Morgan, Shorter, Strozier et al. <_<

keep us posted...

^_^

Hey there! I finally got my "Watch What Happens" disc in the mail...

After listening to it a few times over the weekend, I can report that I really like it.

For Brad: The voices are in unison or octaves most of the time and primarilly function to articulate the melody or provide some background...I don't think they really add or take away all that much. Rather, they attempt to snag a wider audience for Vick. They are tolerable and seem to frame his WONDERFUL tenor and SOPRANO sax playing!

Half the tracks are with voices and orchestra and half are with quartet. Orchestra cuts are arranged & conducted by Ed Bland- of Vanguard Records, James Moody, & Bunky Green fame? The quartet cuts are great and feature Herbie Hancock, Bob Cranshaw, and Grady Tate to advantage. A very "Blue-Note-like atmosphere"..,

I'd be curious to hear the other 2 new Vick RCA reissues & opinions re...

I passed on the big band but got Caribbean Suite and Straight Up last weekend. I've only had a chance to listen to the Caribbean Suite but it's left me slightly underwhelmed. It's a disc of two halves, half of the tracks are decent, if rather short, blowing vehicles with solo space for Miitchell, Hutcherson, Dailey but in places some of the solos seems hampered by the latin rhythms. Vick solos well and I like his singing tone. The remainder of the disc concentrates on the arrangements and have little or no significant solo space. There's a touch exotica here and there too-matches the cover art!. By no means an essential purchase but I'm pleased I heard it. I suspect it may not be a long term keeper.

I'll post something on Straight Up in day or so.

• 3 weeks later...

Had a chance to hear STRAIGHT UP last night, and, yeah, it's definitely in the "looking for airplay" mode of so many mid-late 60s Brad McCuen produced RCA jazz sides (shorter songs, familiar - or familair sounding - tunes, arrangements that aren't really necessary for "jazz imapct", stuff like that.

But, as on those other, similar sessions, no attempts are made to hide the princiapl's personality. So, yeah, the settings ain't so hot, but when Vick plays, all is forgiven. Especially on a gorgeous "We'll Be Together Again", which a malevolent producer would have had a seizure over due to it's mixture of deep soul and Tranesque false fingerings and harmonic insertions. Which, really, is Vick's trademark afaic - playing "soul jazz" w/some pretty "advanced" technical devices. Harold Vick was one hip motherfukker.

One tune is unencumbered, a good straight-ahead uptempo blowing number. Albert Dailey & Hugh Walker sound great throughout, even with the stylistic restrictions placed on them by the contexts. But that's professionalism in action - being able to take a less than ideal setting and turn it into something worthwhile.

Not an "essential" side (other than that ballad), but if you dig Vick and got some spare buckage, hey, go for it.

• 1 month later...

I passed on the big band but got Caribbean Suite and Straight Up last weekend. I've only had a chance to listen to the Caribbean Suite but it's left me slightly underwhelmed. It's a disc of two halves, half of the tracks are decent, if rather short, blowing vehicles with solo space for Miitchell, Hutcherson, Dailey but in places some of the solos seems hampered by the latin rhythms.

I just picked this up recently from the Bastards, and was definitely underwhelmed as well.

A few good songs probably label it as a keeper, but barely so.

I wouldn't spring for it, anybody...