Mel Rhyne on Criss Cross

Jim R

Has anybody picked this up yet?

1252.jpg

His seventh effort for the label as a leader, Tomorrow Yesterday Today features guitarist Peter Bernstein and drummer Kenny Washington on a prime set of standards, with four cuts adding special guest tenorman Tad Shull.

Melvin Rhyne (Hammond B3 Organ), Tad Shull (Ts), Peter Bernstein (G), Kenny Washington (D)

1. Lover Come Back To Me (Oscar Hammerstein / Romberg)

2. Buffalo (Kenny Dorham)

3. Jingles I (Wes Montgomery)

4. Darn That Dream (DeLange / Jimmy Van Heusen)

5. Niambi (Melvin Rhyne)

6. Five Flat Minor (Melvin Rhyne)

7. Enchantment (Horace Silver)

8. Tangerine (Schertzinger / Johnny Mercer)

9. Easy Living (Robin / Rainger)

10. Jingles II (Wes Montgomery)

I saw it yesterday in a local shop, but didn't pull the trigger (I'll probably go back soon).

This morning, I listened to a couple of my personal favorites- KOJO and MEL'S SPELL from Rhyne on Criss Cross (I think I own them all except for the above), both of which are just o-g-d trios with the exception of a few tracks with added percussion. I happen to like Eric Alexander, and some of the other hornmen that have guested on some of Rhyne's discs, but the trios really groove me the most. I give the nod to MEL'S SPELL over KOJO, BTW, but not by a whole lot. Bernstein, I think, plays out of his mind on MEL'S SPELL. W-O-W.

So, what are your favorite Rhynes on Criss Cross? Here's what I have (never got around to picking up the "Tenor Triangle" discs):

Mel's Spell

The Legend

Boss Organ

Stick To The Kick

KOJO

Classmasters

Here's what I wrote in my post in the answers thread to BFT 16, where Dan Gould included one track:

I warmheartedly recommend the six CDs Tad Shull did for Criss Cross, two as a leader, two with the Tenor Triangle, one with Mark Turner which sure would make a nice BFT item, and one as guest with the Melvin Rhyne Trio. Just go to the Criss Cross website and look up Tad Shull in the artist index, and you have 'em all.

The Tenor Triangle pairs him with our beloved Eric Alexander  and Ralph Lalama, giving a good idea of what divides the authenticats from the copycats.

BTW, I bought the CD after a favourable review in down beat.

Shull is a big toned tenor deeply rooted in the Bean tradition, but sounds truly authentic, not like lining up phrases he picked up from records. On the two Tenor Triangle CDs, I find him the most convincing, but his two as a leader are the best. Still have to get me the one with Mark Turner, but that must be a very interesting combination.