The most disgusting thing you've ever eaten

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hong Kong - Curried pig intestines

Shanghai, China - Chilled duck tongues

Nanjing, China - Shredded pig's ear

Guangzhou, China - Coagulated pig blood (looks like dark red tofu cubes)

All quite disgusting. The blood cubes were probably the worst.

Fuck, you guys have all the fun. :angry:

No, thank you!!!

I can't even remember the bad stuff I've eaten. Not specifically. Nothing as adventurous as any of the above -- not even lutefisk, and I grew up in northern Wisconsin!!!

Like Noj, I know I've occasionally gotten hold of something spoiled -- but have spit it out right away (discreetly into a napkin if I'm with others) and gone off to rinse and spit.

Live baby octopus??? No-o-o-o-o-o-o!!!!

Well, the British have a chain of freeway restaurants called "Little Chef" - often the only place to eat in their immediate location. Disgusting food, but at least they are expensive. :angry:

My second worst is also British: London street food. My parents gave me some when I was 7 and I threw up. Years later, in about 1974, it happened again. I lost a whole day of vacation because of it.

"There is death in the pot."

Oh yeah, I forgot about British food ...

I ate leek pie once and discovered that leek ain't nothing but a word misspelled.

Cheers!

Why do you guys eat this stuff? I'm all for trying new things - like listening to Archie Shepp after a healthy dose of Getz :g - but this is ridiculous. You know it doesn't reall hurt foreign relations if we admit that some Chinese food really sucks. :wacko: Me, I'm stickin' to orange chicken... :lol:

This thread brings back vivid memories of going to a real Chinese restaurant in SF's Chinatown. I am a strict vegetarian (not vegan) so I bowed out of almost everything. There were some truly amazing items on the menu: duck tongue soup, beef tongue, brains, various kinds of feet. Then came the mixtures. I can't remember them all because it was making me kind of ill, but there was some kind of pie with beef tongue, pork and fish.

HAGGIS- Scot national dish --sheep stomach stuffed with intestines and who  knows what and boiled--Single malt scotch poured liberally over it. Toasts to Bobby Burns. Lawzy.

:blink:  :blink:  :blink:

Nonsense - haggis is fantastic. Some of the best ones are made by Charles MacSween in Edinburgh. They don't have intestines in them but rather are a mixture of minced sheep liver, heart and lungs mixed with oatmeal, onion, suet and spices and sewn up in a sheep's stomach. Yum! Haggis is traditionally served with mashed potatoes and swede.

haggis.jpg

Edited by Phil Meloy

HAGGIS- Scot national dish --sheep stomach stuffed with intestines and who  knows what and boiled--Single malt scotch poured liberally over it. Toasts to Bobby Burns. Lawzy.

:blink:  :blink:  :blink:

Nonsense - haggis is fantastic. Some of the best ones are made by Charles McSween in Edinburgh. They don't have intestines in them but rather are a mixture of minced sheep liver, heart and lungs mixed with oatmeal, suet and spices and sewn up in a sheep's stomach. Yum! Hagis is traditionally served with mashed potatoes and swede.

haggis.jpg

What is swede?

... any foreign city I may travel to will be assured to have a Denny's and KFC...

The little podunk town of Honjo (big shoutout to Saitama Prefecture!) in Japan had three restaurants in which I could order by merely pointing to a picture of the food. One was a McD's, the other two were a Denny's and KFC, side-by-side. I used to walk a couple of miles to Denny's for breakfast, then walk a couple more over to McD's for lunch, then back to KFC for dinner - weekends only (for 9 weeks). Weekdays were the company cafeteria and 7-11.

Why do you guys eat this stuff?

When visiting the boss' house, you eat whatever his wife puts in front of you (no matter how many eyes are looking back at you from the bowl). And in Japan, you don't get a napkin to spit into (so carry many hankerchiefs and fake a cold so you can always have one in your hand). Another tip: Japanese meals usually consist of small servings of many different foods and/or atrocities. When served a dish of squid entrails, fake taking a bite (everyone else will be too busy digging in to notice the food never actually left the chopsticks). Then hog the conversation by telling stories or something so everyone else will eat while you talk. With luck, they'll eat the gross stuff and not leave you any. But when something edible hits the table, shut up and eat. Sometimes this works, sometimes not. More than a few nights nothing decent came around and I had to finish a 3 hour meal by filling up on Ritz crackers in my hotel.

Still, wouldn't have missed the experience for anything. And love Japanese food, just not crazy about eyeballs on the plate.

I don't know if this counts as disgusting and I haven't tried but want to but there's a Chinese delicacy called drunk shrimp. What you do is stick a live shrimp in beer batter, hence "drunk", and then when it's drunk, bite its head off and eat it. It's supposed to be really good.

I certainly hope none of you who are grossed out by all of this ever consumed the ultimate American gross out food:  Potted Meat.  Try reading the label of that can and not feeling a quiver in your tummy! :P

From the movie Sling Blade:

Frank Wheatley: I don't like potted meat. Daddy used to say they was made out of lips, peckers and intestines.