Star Wars DVD Set Out Today

Fav Old School Star Wars Flick  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Aw hell no! B-) Empire’s been my favorite since it hit the big screen when I was ten. I still remember my dad taking me to the movie theater to see it when it first came out. (In fact, I now work across the street from that old theater, although it’s now been converted into a “Professional Wrestling” facility.)

When the set came out on VHS a while back, I watched it again and was impressed all over again. It is just so DARK. I like the other two, with the first holding a special place in my heart for sentimental values. But Empire is the one that makes the whole series worthwhile.

I may pass on buying this set. If I can find the laserdiscs, and transfer them to dvd, then that would be fine. I don't like the updated CGI and added scenes that were done. And maybe there's a part of me that says, it ain't all that great. Seeing them in theaters was the best experience, but to tell the truth they really seem dated, groundbreaking as they were.

I will eventually get these, mostly for the bonus disc and the commentary track. I don't believe they will ever be released individually, but I guess never say never. I have been very appalled that the originals will never be released and the fans have to put up with Lucas' constant tinkering. After poking around on the web, I found a place that reviewed four or five Star Wars bootlegs (taken from laserdisc). I bought one set and was pleasantly surprised at the quality. They are letterboxed, and don't have any of the odious changes that Lucas added.

Ok, I guess I am the fanatic here.

I picked them up at midnight and watched Star Wars early this morning.

In terms of picture and sound quality, these films have never looked or sounded better. I'm learning to live with (not love) the changes that have been made.

Regardless, it's great to finally have these available on DVD. As far as I'm concerned the classic trilogy was the reason for DVD technology.