HA!

JSngry

Oh well, you can't please all the people all the time, I suppose. C'est la vie...

Myself, the main thing I really dug was the hookup between the drummer and the bassist, how the drummer combines the Clyde Stubblefield "Funky Drummer" bag with the Roy McCurdy "Mercy Mercy Mercy" concept and how the bassist and him really seemed to be of the same mind from beginning to end and get their groove on pretty effortlessly. I really feel 'em, and the more I listen to the cut, the more I REALLYfeel 'em - these two got it goin' on. The guitar solo was pretty flowing too, I thought, in spite of the dated sounding fuzz tone, and the distorted electric vibes...well, do distorted electric vibes EVER go out of style? :D :D :D Seriously, this thing's a reminder for me of what the very earliest "fusion" (well, it wasn't called that then. If it was called anything, it was called "jazz-rock") was all about - jazz players just looking for a different way to play. Like it or not, I think most would agree that this cut has a "swing", an innate "jazz quality", that most later fusion did not have.

Now to the details - believe it or no, that's a Hoagy Carmichael tune! On an album originally released on Ahmad Jamal's own label! That pulls $400-$500 on eBAY! With John Abercrombie on guitar!

It's a group out of Boston called Stark Reality that was led by vibist Marty Stark (who later went on to play ketboards on the BUCKINGHAM NICKS album), and the album is a CHILDREN'S album called The Stark Reality Discovers Hoagy Carmichael’s Music Shop put together by Stark at the instigation of Hoagy's son Hoagy Bix for a series on Boston PBS. Besides Stark and Abercrombie, the players are bassist Phil Morrison and drummer Vinnie Johnson. Released in 1970 on Ahmad Jamal's AJP label, it's apparently become a Holy Grail for DJs and BeatHeads, and it really does go for 4-5 hundred.

But that's about to change, probably, since it's just been reissued on Stones Throw. I found out about this the other night whilst breaking a self-imposed ban on trolling Dusty Groove (the bastards!) and saw this listed. For some reason, the blurb caught my eye, one thing led to another...

Due to the overwhelmingly positive response to the clip :), here's a photo of Stark Image in action:

stark-live-studio.jpg

Here's a link to the story of this "Cult Classic": http://www.stonesthrow.com/starkreality/

And here's the original:

SRfront.JPG

Well, I guess I got the time period right. Maybe under the circumstances, I should give it another listen, now knowing that it is a TRUE early 70's fusion experiment. It also reminded me a bit of Compost, the Harold Vick, Jack DeJohnette group of the same era.

• 9 years later...

I guess this could go under 'great finds' but I will mention it here only.

I was in Salvation Army today looking among the few LPs for sale, and voila, this LP was in the bin.

I had no idea it was so highly sought after as a cult album.

Gatefold copy no stains on jacket perse. Vinyl appears to be unplayed. Stamp on the cover of jacket indicating promo copy only.

Thanks Jim....of course I called you after walking out of the store. And now I know the rest of the story.

I asked Jim if he knew how many releases were produced on Ahmad's label. Anyone know? Interesting.

First one I ever saw.