Groove Holmes

"Somethin' Special" not only turned me on to Holmes, but organ players in general. In the early '60's there was still a real discussion about whether or not the organ was a "legitimate" instrument for jazz, and I avoided almost all organ records. After hearing the Holmes/McCann album, I made up for lost time. ("Back at the Chicken Shack," McDuff's "Live" and Lou Donaldson's "Signifyin" were also favorites.)

Nobody has mentioned the album that turned me on to Groove some 40+ years ago:

"Somethin' Special" (Pacific Jazz) Clifford Scott (tenor sax), Groove Holmes (organ), Les McCann (piano), Joe Pass (guitar), Ron Jefferson (drums)

Tkis album burns from start to finish! The tenor player was listed as "Joe Splink" on the original LP. Clifford Scott is mostly remembered for his classic tenor solo on Bill Doggett's "Honky Tonk."

Didn't remember Clifford Scott being on that one. I've got to go and dig this one out again.... Thanks

• 4 months later...

I think all the Holmes albums from his first stint with Pacific Jazz have been out on 4 CD's, all with extra material.

And the material from his second stint is, frankly, not all that good. I have all but one of them, and they're fine if you're a fan... He was using an X77 on a few and I don't like the sound much.

MG

My favorite Groove Holmes CDs are available in the oldies.com sale--the LP Living Soul, recorded at Count Basie's (one of two LPs reissued on the CD Spicy) and a CD of unissued material from the Living Soul date--On Basie's Bandstand--it's an inspired live date with a working group.

Edited by kh1958

My favorite Groove Holmes CDs are available in the oldies.com sale--the LP Living Soul, recorded at Count Basie's (one of two LPs reissued on the CD Spicy) and a CD of unissued material from the Living Soul date--On Basie's Bandstand--it's an inspired live date with a working group.

Those are great! But so are "Get up and get it", with Teddy Edwards & Pat Martino, and "The groover" with George Freeman. And, as noted earlier, "Somethin' special". His Muse albums from the 70s are not to be sneezed at, either.

MG