Jimmy Smith too polished?

Jim Alfredson

What kind of places were you playing at that time?  I can't think of a lower point for jazz organ than the late 70's.  Curious as to how Jack was making it at that point.

I was on the gig at the Mozambique in Detroit. Mac's next gig was (quartet- I wasn't on it) was in Atlanta at a room I can't remember the name of, but probably someone here will know it. It was in a motel and was pretty well known to the guys on the circuit. It was still going in the 80s and I remember they had a tradition of Sunday afternoon jam sessions.

Financially I don't think there was a hell of a lot going on for Mac then. The rooms on the circuit paid zilch. Sideman pay from Mac was $50 a night (!) and not including rooms and food. I took the gig strictly because it was McDuff. A couple of buddies of mine had been on the gig previously - Drummer Ronnie Davis and guitarist Vinnie Corrao. Ronnie and Vinnie both were on a nice live McDuff lp on Cadet. I think it was called "Check It Out". I think Leo Johnson was on that too.

Anyway, Ronnie had a more negative view of it than Vinnie and kind of advised against even taking the gig, but both guys chalked the gig up to what you put up with to work with a guy like McDuff. IOW, everybody loved the music, but the conditions were basically a drag.

...now that's jazz.......

Damn Harold, you've been holdin' back on us!!!! Gigging with McDuff at the Mozambique! Jeez...would like to hear more, if there is any. I know you're gone of vacation probably by now. So hopefully we'll pick this back up in a week or two. :D

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic