Jimmy Smith too polished?

Jim Alfredson

I think this guy is looking at things differently than B3er (obviously). BUT, he's trying to look at the past through a different lens, one that suits his level of knowledge, not necessarily in a purely "historical" way. Jim, I agree with your response to him totally, it's just that he (again, obviously) doesn't know as much as you do about jazz history and Jimmy Smith in particular.

I think you should read the original thread:

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=20612

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm asking myself, "Why would anybody want a Jimmy Smith Blue Note record to sound like a Stax recording?", and all the answers eventualy reduce to that what he's like to hear is a direct result of what he thinks he's listening to. Ergo, summa cum loudly, some quietly, and sum not at all.

Q.E.D & H.E.B.

(you need to move to Texas)

I'm asking myself, "Why would anybody want a Jimmy Smith Blue Note record to sound like a Stax recording?", and all the answers eventualy reduce to that what he's like to hear is a direct result of what he thinks he's listening to. Ergo, summa cum loudly, some quietly, and sum not at all.

Q.E.D & H.E.B.

(you need to move to Texas)

I can imagine a younger me saying something like that. I think a lot of people (still)look at black art as primitive art, and when it does something to show that it ain't (putting a bit of sheen on the recording or being undeniably sophisticated), well people pull back from it and think it's "inauthentic."

I know when I was neck deep into Jamaican music when I was younger, this would summarize my response to a lot of more sophisticated or "modernized" reggae.

Somebody turned me on the LKJ at some point and things started to get a whole lot more complicated. Then I decided I liked complicated.

--eric

Seems to me, the guy's expressing something like the regular critique of RVGs legendary recording techniques, especially when CDs are concerned. Your assesment must mean that anyone complaining about too much top end on those albums is "a dumbass white boy who thinks that "black" only comes in one shade."

I should make a note of that and throw it in a discussion every now and then to spice things up. ^_^

I'm not convinced, though.

yeah well, that's a bit hard eh? The guy gets falsely accused and is not invited to defend himself.

I got where he was coming from eventually. Like I said, there is some egg on my face.

I don't agree with him at all, but that's just me. I can see where Jim is coming from, too. Check out the guy's last comment after I asked him if he had heard any BN vinyl. The simple fact is, CDs have high-end up the wizzoo. The LPs of the BN sides sound completely different (and better to me), especially the organ sides.

I'm not convinced, though.

yeah well, that's a bit hard eh? The guy gets falsely accused and is not invited to defend himself.

I got where he was coming from eventually. Like I said, there is some egg on my face.

I don't agree with him at all, but that's just me. I can see where Jim is coming from, too. Check out the guy's last comment after I asked him if he had heard any BN vinyl. The simple fact is, CDs have high-end up the wizzoo. The LPs of the BN sides sound completely different (and better to me), especially the organ sides.

That's why it's better to listen to the CDs on the radio. Because then your high-end goes out the window rather than up the wizzo.

--eric

Here's one Texas lover. And, it has Waffle House!

I even like the Panhandle area, though I can see why some don't. Never did take up the 80 oz steak challenge in Amarillo, though!

One day, I arrived at Dublin, TX, and asked why there were so many dead amarillos on the roads. :)

Guest ariceffron

i see what rvg is saying here-- yes jimmy is by all means down home etc but his b3 sound in addition to rvgs rec. techniques make the lps sound very 'clean'-- if jimmy would get a little more babyface willette-ish it would be dirtier

• 10 months later...

I'm sure there's a thread here somewhere on Coltrane and Jimmy Smith playing together (a did they/didn't they type-thing). Just saw this, whilst not looking for anything in particular:

Odean Pope Saxophone Choir

Fiery post-bop tenor saxophonist Odean Pope got his start in the pit band of Philadelphia’s Uptown Theater, playing backup for people like Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye and Aretha Franklin. But when John Coltrane asked him to sub for him in the Jimmy Smith trio, his jazz chops came to the fore.

...clearly an excerpt from Odean Pope's bio. Does it suggest that Coltrane/Smith had a working engagement, of sorts..?

I believe they did. Donald Bailey, in an audio interview I heard on a site some years ago said he caught them at a club in Philly. Just caught this thread..... when I hear a Jimmy Smith BN, I don't focus on the sound quality, but the music. For "polished" recordings, musically and sonically, its got to be the Verve recordings.

Yes, Coltrane had started working with Smith and had been with him for 2 weeks. This was right before he got hired by Miles Davis.

Mike

Since the call from Coltrane came in 1955, the references to those 1960s pop people is bizarre. He wasn't working with Stevie Wonder before Jimmy Smith.

Edited by Michael Fitzgerald

Just caught this thread..... when I hear a Jimmy Smith BN, I don't focus on the sound quality, but the music.  For "polished" recordings, musically and sonically, its got to be the Verve recordings.

That's crazy talk! JOS is more "polished" musically after BN? Hmmmm.... I'll give you "Organ Grinder Swing" and "Jimmy and Wes, the Dynamic Duo," those are flat out musical masterpieces. But "Crazy Baby," "Plays Fats Waller," "I'm Movin' On," "Back At The Chicken Shack"...those are as sonically and musically perfect!

I find the organ sound on many of the JOS Verve's not as present as his BN sides. Obviously Rudy was doing some different things there. And musically, although I love ALL Jimmy Smith records....Respect, Sings Again, Hoochie Coochie Man and MANY of those Verve sides just don't match the artistic heights Jimmy achieved at BN.

:D