NBA 2004-2005

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Noj,  I understand where y9ou are coming from....

However, remember this always, it was the Pistons who dethroned the Showtime Lakers and it was the Pistons who dethroned the Shaq,Kobe Lakers.  So that in itself is a feat that no other team has done to another.  So keep  your dynasties but always remember who dethroned them.

The Spurs dethroned the Shaq/Kobe Lakers, in 2003.

Guy

Yes, the Spurs took that championship BUT the Lakers did not consider that anything but a bump in the road, expecially when they advanced to the finals in 2004. However, the Pistons DESTROYED the Lakers and that was what I was referring to. You are technically right but the instrument for the destruction of the Lakers was the Pistons. I think that is fair to say...

B-)

I totally spaced on who dethroned the three-peat champ Lakers. Now I remember yelling at the TV. Parker absolutely torched us alive.

The Pistons DESTROYED an injury-riddled Lakers team with quarrelling players. Yep, you're right Bruce. :g

watch out for the suns, if they had a big man (the same story every year)

amare, marion, nash and richardson

look at what i said at the start of the season

But Detroit doesn't have a real big man anymore than Phoenix does. I think the Suns' problem is that they're so dependent on their starters. You need redundant pieces in the off-season. I hope they or Dallas take the whole thing, though.

Guy

Edited by Guy Berger

Noj, the Pistons have won their last 10 games. They are gearing up for another title run. Y'all need to show some love.

I think the 3 teams with the best chance of winning are the Spurs, Heat, and Pistons. Not sure who is the strongest. I'll be pulling for the Suns and Nuggets, and seriously doubting either of them can do it. I'd love to see Houston grow a pair and make a serious push.

The Lakers have sucked since Shaq left, SS1. I accepted it then, and called missing the playoffs from the jump. :tdown

But Detroit doesn't have a real big man anymore than Phoenix does.

I have heard this from people a few times, but it simply isnt true. Yes, Ben Wallace is not very tall, but he functions as a big man should. Shotblocker and repounder extraordinaire. And Sheed is a true PF, unlike Marion.

The Pistons have true big men, they just arent that big.

I think Darko will develop into a decent player. I've seen flashes of it, and like you said he's 19. Seems to be putting on some size, too.

Rumor has it Shaq may sit the first playoff game. If Shaq's hobbled, and Duncan's hobbled...size up the rings for Detroit. Just look out for those Suns! They'd give Detroit a literal run for their money.

Damn! That was a good Bulls/Pacers game. I think I'll route for Dallas or Phoenix from here until next season.

I heard that Skiles sat most of his starters for the second half, resting them a bit. And Chandler didn't play. And of course Deng and Curry are out. And they still made a great game of it. This is a deep team, though it is hard to see them going too far this year. Maybe they'll beat the Wizards, particularly if this big man they added to the roster last week contributes. If the core team returns, next year should be pretty good.

Alright, my predictions:

[For what it's worth, Tradesports currently gives the following prices for contracts on winning it all: Spurs (26.5-26.7), Heat (23.6-24.1), Pistons (18.0-18.4), Suns (16.0-16.5), Mavs (6.0-6.3), Rockets (2.5-2.8), Nuggets (2.6-2.8).]

1st Round

Miami (1) vs. Nets (8): Yeah, Miami's looked somewhat shaky down the stretch, Vince Carter has been playing great and Richard Jefferson is coming back. But there's only one Shaq and he's only for one team. Miami in 6.

Detroit (2) vs. 76ers (7): I pooh-poohed the Piston's chances of winning it all a few weeks ago and it looks like they're intent on making me look stupid. Pistons in 5.

Celtics (3) vs. Pacers (6): If Artest could play, this series wouldn't even be close. The Celtics are an unremarkable team in a terrible division. Indiana plays good, solid ball and is determined to prove the critics wrong. Pacers in 6.

Bulls (4) vs. Wizards (5): The Wizards seem like one of those teams destined to melt down in the playoffs. The Bulls have had some unfortunate injuries down the stretch, but from the few times I've watched them they seem pretty driven. A few months ago I thought this would be the only viewable 1st round series in the east, but I'm not so sure anymore. Bulls in 6.

Suns (1) vs. Grizz (8): Everybody talks about how the Suns don't match up that well against Memphis. I still see the Suns winning this one pretty handily. Suns in 5.

Spurs (2) vs. Nuggets (7): The Nuggets have been playing tremendous basketball over the past few months, but they're playing the best team in the league. They've got to hope that Duncan isn't at full strength for any chance. Spurs in 6.

Sonics (3) vs. Kings (6): Sonics are the most popular upset pick besides the Celtics, who don't count. I'm not so sure about that. If the Kings manage to field Bobby Jackson (who played last night), Brad Miller and Peja then I have to favor them in 6 or 7. Otherwise, and especially if the Sonics manage to stay healthy through this round (Radmanovic should be coming back at some point) then they'll win. In expectation, Sonics in 7.

Dallas (4) vs. Houston (5): The best matchup of the first round, without a doubt -- it's the only series that features two great teams. Houston's really strong with McGrady and Yao. But when you consider Dallas's monster lineup, it's hard to imagine anyway the Rockets can actually pull this out. Houston's still at least 1 season from making serious noise in the playoffs. Dallas in 7.

2nd round

Miami (1) vs. Bulls (4): I just don't see the Bulls doing very well in this series. Maybe they can win a few if they play hard. Miami in 5.

Pistons (2) vs. Pacers (6): With Artest this would be a SERIES. Without him, I see the Pistons having a pretty easy time. Pistons in 5.

Phoenix (1) vs. Dallas (4): This will be one of the most exciting series of the playoffs. It's almost a shame they couldn't wait until the conference finals. Phoenix is the better team, but Dallas is much deeper. I have to think that this one will go to the full 7, and that if Phoenix suffers any serious injuries they will lose. Nevertheless, Suns in 7.

San Antonio (2) vs. Sonics (3): The Sonics did very well in the regular season against the Spurs. I don't expect that to continue. Spurs in 4.

Conference Finals

Miami (1) vs. Pistons (2): I downplayed the Piston's chances a few weeks ago and they seem intent on making me look dumb. At this point I'm even tempted to pick them. But if I cave in and change my prediction at this point, then the terrorists will have won. Heat in 7.

Suns (1) vs. Spurs (2): Potential to be an exciting series. Lightning speed vs. methodical grinding-away. As much as I hope Phoenix pulls it out and wins the whole shebang, I gotta go with the best team. Spurs in 6.

NBA Finals

Miami vs. Spurs: Duncan vs. Shaq in the finals! The Spurs are better, Miami needs more pieces to pull it off. Spurs in 6.

Edited by Guy Berger

BRAVO MR. BERGER

You have obviously put some time into your thinkiing except for one thing....

DETROIT ROCKS and they are the DEFENDING CHAMPS

Miami is really a very good team with Shaq, but Shaq is the only one with real playoff experience. Eddie Jones had some with the old Lakers but he was a non factor and still is. Pressure melts this guy, so that leaves Shaq and Wade. Wade has no real tough experience yet. Detroit has beaten Shaq before and know that they can do it again. The only thing that can beat Detroit is the fact that they have home court in the first two rounds only.

Just not sure who will come out of the West. Have to see who is actually injured or not. No injuries, the Spurs will take West.

DETROIT PREVAILS and I will stick with that until they lose.

B-)

:bwallace:

Edited by BruceW

Yeah,

But they are a first year team with this roster.......

Detroit is the defending champs....

Isn't that what you guys said about the Lakers UNTIL they were defeated...

B-)

:bwallace:

lol

But Miami isn't as bored as the Lakers were, and isn't totally dysfunctional because of personal issues.

Also, shouldn't a federal judge issue an injunction banning 1st round series in the Eastern Conference until they can field more than 4 good teams? I think the Hornets-Heat series went to about 35 games last year before one of the coaches died and they had to forfeit.

Guy

Detroit is the defending champs....

Isn't that what you guys said about the Lakers UNTIL they were defeated...

let's make somethin' perfectly clear

the lakers have different rules than the rest of the nba

rules that applied to the lakers when they were champs might not apply to the pistons when they are the chumpions

ss1 :g

let's go AI

Edited by Soulstation1