Chico soundtrack to Polanski film

Guest ariceffron

Guest ariceffron

REPULSION ('65)-- I POPPED IT IN, AND 1ST I NOTICED THAT IT SAID: SOUND ENGENNIEER: LESLIE HAMMOND-- AND I THOUGHT HMM THATS WEIRD, THEN, 2 SEC. LATER, IN THE OPENING CREDITS, ITS ALL: MUSIC COMPOSED BY CHICO HAMILTON QUINTET ORHESTRATIONS ARR BY GABOR SZABO AND I WAS ALL WHAT IN THE FUCKING ASS HELL.

DID CHICO COMPOSE MANY MOVIE SOUNDTRCKS, WHAT ABOUT TV SHOWS?

Chico Hamilton and his quintet are also on the soundtrack of the 1957 Hollywood film 'The Sweet Smell of Success'. Elmer Bernstein wrote the score but the Chica Hamilton quintet is seen and heard in the remarkable film, starring Burt Lancaster and Tony Curtis. Decca issued a sountrack LP when the film was released.

'Sweet Smell of Success' is a superb film from British director Alexander McKenzie. Go see it as soon as you can. Chico Hamilton's quintet includes Paul Horn, Fred Katz on cello, John Pisano and/or Jim Hall, Carson Smith.

And the Chico Hamilton Quintet (with Eric Dolphy) is masterfully caught at the Newport 1958 in 'Jazz On a Summer's Day'!

a great example of film noir made all the better by the hamilton quintet's appearances. actually, the band fits quite prominently in the movie's plot. the sister of burt lancaster's character is in love with the guitarist, who is framed by lancaster on a charge of heroin possession. i believe john pisano plays guitar on the soundtrack, but onscreen his character is played by actor martin milner, who is best known for his roles on the television shows route 66 and adam 12.

sweet-smell.jpg

a great example of film noir made all the better by the hamilton quintet's appearances. actually, the band fits quite prominently in the movie's plot. the sister of burt lancaster's character is in love with the guitarist, who is framed by lancaster on a charge of heroin possession. i believe john pisano plays guitar on the soundtrack, but onscreen his character is played by actor martin milner, who is best known for his roles on the television shows route 66 and adam 12.

sweet-smell.jpg

Jim Hall dubbed the solos that Martin Milner was seen playing in the film.

'Sweet Smell of Success' and other films from the '50s are analyzed at this site:

http://homepage.mac.com/mimstein/jazz.html