Ashlee Simpson on SNL

trane_fanatic

:wacko:

Ahh... good ol' American pop music continues it's decline into the abyss.

The sister of popper Jessica Simpson was caught lip-synching last night when the song she has performed earlier, "Pieces Of You", came on in the second set.

She ran off the stage embarrassed while the band improvised with a mini-jam session. Afterwards, she cried the band "played the wrong song".

http://www.collegehumor.com/news/ashlee_snl.wmv

Edited by trane_fanatic

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh. She's disgusting.

I am embarassed to say I watched a couple episodes of her show while taking care of baby Zora and channel surfing. I could only watch two episodes because it infuriated me so much.

Why?

1) She has about as much talent as your average back-up chorus girl in your local high school's production of Guys & Dolls.

2) Despite that fact, and because of her sister's celebrity and also because of her looks (which are not that great, imo) she gets a multi-million dollar record/touring deal without having ever performed live.

3) On the show she talks about how cool it is that she's writing all these songs, when actually she supplies a few cliched lyrics and then the record company brings in an entire team of pop producers/songwriters to do the rest. She doesn't write one lick, one note, one rhythm, one chord of any tune. Yet because she gets songwriting credits, she gets a bunch of money for all the albums sold... even though she didn't do jack shit.

4) To further the above, every "note" she sings on her record is run through Auto-Tune to fix her pitch, a bunch of EQ to fix her tone, a bank of compressors to fix her horrible breath support, etc. etc. etc. Also, they do hundreds of takes for each song and then patch the vocal line together, piece by piece. No wonder she has to lipsync. She's never actually sung the tunes.

5) On the show she also wrote in her diary how proud she was that "it's been a year since I became an artist". icon8.gif

6) She represents everything that is evil about the music industry.

It was my hope that her show would reveal to the ignorant masses just how much the music industry manipulates so-called "artists" in order to appeal to those same ignorant masses and that this isn't music at all but more akin to slop in a trough.

But that's a false hope.

Ah the musing of an artist:

Ashlee Simpson Preparing To Take On Tara Reid - 19:54 22 Friday Oct 2004

Ashlee Simpson's doing double duty for her appearance on "Saturday Night Live" this weekend — not only is the singer going to perform her new single, "Autobiography," but she's also going to participate in three of the show's skits. In one of those, she'll spoof a notorious party girl.

"I'm going to play Tara Reid," Simpson said. "I have to watch a video on it, because I don't really know how to act like her, but it will be really exciting to do it, to be part of the whole sketchthing."

In another skit, Simpson will riff on how she's constantly being mistaken for her famous older sister, Jessica.

Despite her extra acting duties, as far as pulling off the show goes, Ashlee said that she feels really "comfortable and confident" — well, confident about everything except working with the guest host, Jude Law.

Click for photos from Ashlee Simpson's "SNL" rehearsal

"I just finished doing the promos with Jude Law, and I was completely nervous the whole time because he was so hot," she said. "I didn't really touch his butt. I thought about it, but I didn't do it."

Most of all, Simpson said, she's just really excited to be doing the show after watching it for so many years. "It's just really cool, just even to be on the set. I can't wait."

Simpson's episode of "Saturday Night Live" airs Saturday on NBC at 11:30 p.m. ET.

—Jennifer Vineyard

It's hard not to let it get to me when I'm out here slogging in the trenches, fighting every month just to get gigs, gigs which consist of playing smoky bars mostly to people who don't give a shit, after having spent my entire life trying to be the best musician I can be.

But whaddya gonna do? America does not value quality or craftsmanship. We can see that every day in everything from architecture to TV programs to restaurants.

Such is life. :)

Here's the funny thing. At my office, we have XM Radio. They have a pretty decent block of jazz channels. So what happens when I turn the dial to them? Nothing but rude remarks about how it's "boring" music. What do the majority of people prefer there? The "Top 20 on 20", the same freakin' annoying pop songs played past the point of tedium and looped over and over again. Aaaaaaaargh! :angry:

It's hard not to let it get to me when I'm out here slogging in the trenches, fighting every month just to get gigs, gigs which consist of playing smoky bars mostly to people who don't give a shit, after having spent my entire life trying to be the best musician I can be.

But whaddya gonna do? America does not value quality or craftsmanship. We can see that every day in everything from architecture to TV programs to restaurants.

Such is life. :)

I totally understand.

For me...I have too much other shit to worry about. I'm getting older, my parents are too (Mom's 81, Dad's 76), the day job, the women problems...

Eyewitness account from a different forum:

ok...what actually happened (for those of us who missed it)??

Okay, so as usual, Jude Law introduces Ashlee Simpson. We cut over to her and see that he drummer is tapping away **no music yet**. Then we hear a little music, Ashlee is standing there looking at the drummer and, all of a sudden, her voice starts singing. Her voice is singing, but the microphone is NOWHERE NEAR her mouth. She looks totally stunned! The music stops, drummer keeps going, then the music starts again, her voice comes out again, cuts abruptly, and AGAIN, THE MIC IS NOWHERE NEAR HER MOUTH!

She did a little dance, looking embarassed. Her band was sort of smirking at her, but they kept on "playing." She then, shrugged and walked off stage. The camera cut to the guitar player, he still had that smirk and was still "playing". Then SNL cut to commercial...

Didn't see it myself. Haven't seen an episode of SNL in years. And to think that that this same show once had Ornette Coleman as a musical guest. Sigh...

Or ???

Could this be another PR stunt?

The song she "performed" earlier could have been taped and then played during her second appearance with the mics turned off this time.

:lol:

Do the people who buy/like Ashlee Simpson watch SNL?

Edited by Tjazz

‘SNL’ gaffe exposes Ashlee Simpson

The teen singer may have been lip-synching her songs

NEW YORK - Singer Ashlee Simpson’s “extra help” may have been exposed when a “Saturday Night Live” audience heard her voice — singing the wrong song — while she held a microphone at her waist.

Her record company blamed a computer glitch and she blamed her band for Sunday morning’s incident, which cut off her planned performance of the song “Autobiography” on the network comedy show.

Simpson had performed her hit single “Pieces of Me” without incident earlier in the show. When she came back a second time, her band started playing and the first lines of her singing “Pieces of Me” could be heard again.

She looked momentarily confused as the band plowed ahead with the song and the vocal was quickly silenced.

Simpson made some exaggerated hopping dance moves, then walked off the stage 35 seconds into the performance. NBC quickly cut to a commercial.

“What can I say?” guest host Jude Law said with Simpson standing next to him at the end of the show. “Live TV.”

“Exactly,” Simpson said. “I feel so bad. My band started playing the wrong song. I didn’t know what to do so I thought I’d do a hoe-down.”

Her record company, Geffen Records, said there was a computer glitch. Instead of some pretaped electronic percussion, the recording of “Pieces of Me” started mistakenly performing, the record company said in a statement.

But it sounded suspiciously like a guide vocal that’s a common — although almost always unspoken — concert aid. Either the singer “lip synchs” by mouthing words to a backing tape or has a live microphone and sings along to the tape, making the voice sound more powerful than it is.

Such vocal tricks have been used before on the show, making “Saturday Night Live” not entirely live, said a show insider who spoke on condition of anonymity.

A Geffen spokeswoman did not immediately return a call for comment.

Simpson’s walk-off joins the lore of other unexpected music moments on “SNL”: Elvis Costello stopping and changing songs on live TV, and Sinead O’Connor tearing up a picture of the pope.

© 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6322824/

Aha, so there should only have been percussion on that tape :rolleyes:

I never watch Saturday Night Live. Ironically, I happened to watch the Ashlee Simpson episode because I was at a friend's house. I watched the Simpson performance, understood what had just happened, and didn't think another thing about it. I didn't expect her to leave from the stage the way she did. I assume all the crap music on the TV is lip-synched.

The lip-synch mishap was definitely not a surprise to me. I've seen lip-synching on Saturday Night Live and The Tonight Show from various popular bands. I don't have proof except that the live performance sounds exactly like the radio version of a given song.

Edited by wesbed

I never watch Saturday Night Live. Ironically, I happened to watch the Ashlee Simpson episode because I was at a friend's house.

Liar, liar pants on fire!

The last time I watched Saturday Night Live with regularity was when the cast included Eddie Murphy and Joe Piscopo. The show seemed quite funny when I was 15 years of age.

I do wish I could find a way to enjoy Saturday Night Live again. When I go to said friend's house on a Saturday night, if I'm there late enough, Saturday Night Live will be on the television. I usually find myself on the back porch, where the TV can't be heard or seen, with a cold beer and my laptop computer.

It was a little too cool in Tucson this past Saturday night. Damn, it must have been under 70°. :P