favorite "Patrick Roques" Blue Note cover...

Rooster_Ties

I didn't want to limit this to just 10 choices, cuz I think there are well more than 10 "Patrick Roques" BN covers.

Which are your favorites??? Post images of them here in this thread, if you like.

I don't think the AMG has them all listed (so the list from the next link isn't comprehensive), but there are at least some in this list. BUT, not everything in this list is a brand new "Patrick Roques" cover, cuz in some cases - he was somehow involved in the layout of some visual aspect of the CD issue, but not necessarily a brand new cover. In any case, though, this might give us a starting place for this discussion....

AMG: Patrick Roques - design credits.

A few I rather like are...

c30490pi0i7.jpgd7006635x4i.jpge52833dvssa.jpg

f51572gjtm0.jpgf55031fsif2.jpgc30489wtd14.jpg

f60176tro6c.jpg

Hi!

Jacknife concept for me is really really fine. Comin´On is also great, even íf i´m kinda repetitive saying that i love this album :g

my overall impression on Roques covers/work is that they fit on BN concept and BN legacy is well represented.

peace!

Marcus Oliveira

Yeah, those covers fit in very well with the "classic" BN designs of Reid Miles. Heck, the cover to "Solid" is as good as anything I've ever seen on a Blue Note album.

It's interesting. Given the wide variety of the BN covers, there's still a vague creative style that ties them all together. Compare the BN style to a company like Concord - which has pretty lousy looking covers in my opinion and no distinctive style.

After checking out Rooster's list, I'd say my favorites are:

Burrell, BLUE LIGHTS

Hutcherson, PATTERNS

I like the saucy chicks in:

Byrd, STREET LADY

Donaldson, PRETTY THINGS

Mclean, BOUT SOUL

And I love the grooving ladies of:

Patton, LET EM ROLL

Turrentine, EASY WALKER

And I really like Patton, ACCENT ON THE BLUES.

AMG seems to lead many to think that Roques was "responsible" for a great many Reid Miles covers. I believe he is more the designer from the eighties era onward (thus, those catesta posted don't fit and no way did he do 'Blue Lights'). A whole lot of credit goes to his re-issues. [Ooh maybe he's the one that can't proof read.]

Would anyone have a listing that would show when the Roques' began? Or for that matter anyone know which BN was Miles' first and last??

I did find but have yet to peruse his site. patrickroques.com

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm