Which team will win the NBA final

Vote for the team that will win the NBA finals  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Gotta go for the Spurs. As well-rounded and STRONG of a team as there is in the NBA right now.

(HOWEVER: as likely as it is that the Mavs are finished, there is no ABSOLUTE certainty in this matter. This is apparently a team that REFUSES to go peacefully into the night, and I think that having Dirk out actually makes them a better team defensively. Let the shooters get into that Peter Pan, "look at me, I can FLY" zone they get into early enough and long enough tonight, let Walt Williams provide something actually resembling a presence on the boards, and let Nellie keep coming up with ways to allow his team to do everything they have no right to do, AND let the Spurs get rattled - a HUGE "and", and don't think I don't know it - then the WC series might go 7 games, and if THAT happens all bets are off, home court advantage be damned. I know it's a really, REALLY, REALLY long shot, but hey, I'm proud of my team for doing what they've done so far - very much a "work in progress" of a team - and as a matter of principle, I refuse to deny the possibility of that ultra-long shot coming to pass as long as Nick Van Exel is alive and playing!)

Oh, I know it. Thing is, I knew it before Game 5 too... :D :D :D

Seriously, I gotta give props to my boys - with absolutely NO significant, or even SEMI-significant, presence in the middle and minimal defensive skills, they put together a regular season that was successful by any standard. Their playoff run has been a result of a combination of opponents' injuries (if it takes you 7 games to beat the Kings WITHOUT Chris Webber...), strategic cunning (Don Nelson should be a SERIOUS candidate for Coach Of The Year, imo), and good old-fashioned guts (what happened Tuesday night is the gutsiest sporting performance I've seen since Emmit Smith played that title game against the Giants with a seperated shoulder), and, yes, shooters who can, in streaks, score quicker and more frequently than Russell Crowe in a roomfull of Meg Ryan clones.

But hey - love means never having to say "you're dead". If you got kids, you know the feeling - they're going nto a situation, athletic or otherwise, where you KNOW they don't stand a snowball's chance in hell, but by God, you stand by'em anyway, build'em up, let them know you love'em, and try to inspire to do their best. When they fail, you're still proud as hell of them, and every so often, once every VERY seldom, they actually win.

If Game 5 was that "once every VERY seldom" for this season, and realistically, it's 99.99999999999% certain that it was (the Lakers paid the price of the Spurs' self-revulsion at letting things slip away, and I expect they're significantly more pissed about what happened Tuesday night), then so be it. But let's play the game first - concession before actually being defeated is MOST unbecoming, no?

I agree, don't give up. Still, I think the joy for the Mavs should be the vision of what can be next year. They've got a young team and they made huge strides this year. I think S.A. was very pissed about letting that last game go. They will come out with fire. Of course, Bradley is out as well. There goes all the big guys in the middle.

Main thing is that the Lakers are out. :party::party:

Lakeshow will be back with a vengeance next year. :angry::eye::rmad:

:g:g

They're done, Noj. You know what happens after an NBA team wins a championship? They tend to win one or two more. Must be something about confidence. I wouldn't want to get in the way of S.A. or the Nets if they win. Lakers need a team; not just two superstars. They need someone like.... :bwallace:

Lakers need a team; not just two superstars.  They need someone like.... :bwallace:

DUDE! If WE had :bwallace: .... :excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited:

!!! So so so true! Man it would be frightening to behold.

Jim, you need the drafting talents of the Detroit Pistons management. What's with them and their ability to find people like :bwallace: ?

They drafted Rodman, Theo Ratliff, and Big Ben. These guys are the types that build championships. If I were the scouting staff on any team, I would pay a spy to go in with one of those micro-cameras and have them photograph all the Detroit scouting reports.

Speaking of which...interesting to see who they take with the second pick. I'd go for Camelo myself, but they've probably already discovered another potential :bwallace:

Done? Not nearly. Shaq will hopefully be healthy for the regular season next year, which will make him more fit for the playoffs. Kobe is just entering his prime years, and I expect him to improve. I expect big changes among the role players, and big improvements at power forward as well as point guard. The Lakers own New Jersey, and I could care less how confident the Spurs get--they got lucky the Lakers had so many bumps in the road, that's all. Jerry West left, Chick Hearn died, Shaq delayed his surgery, Fox tore a tendon, Devean turned an ankle, Phil had angioplasty, and after all that the Lakers could still have won if Horry had gone 3 of 38 instead of 2 of 38. I am confident the Lakers will be better next year.

GO MAVS!!!

It was worth it just to see Sir Charles eat his words the other night.

And liek Jim says, this is a team that refuses to die. So if it's over tonight, hey, it was a blast while it lasted and they didn't just lay down and die.

But if it continues....... ooohhhhh BABY!!! May not need a :bwallace: !!! :g:g:g

Four minutes left in the third quarter and Dallas is all over S.A. The Spurs are playing crappy ball. Looks like the Mavs can pull this one out. :party:

Wow, Great! You know, Jim, anything can happen in a seventh game; and maybe Dirk will be back. Odds would be against the Mavs winning game seven, but you never know....

Won't be online to report till the end of the game, but things look great for the Mavs at this stage.

My gut tells me that the Nets will do what they need to do to win, but the consensus is still with the Spurs, who will have to play better than they did tonight. I'm looking forward to what I hope will be an exciting series.

Guest Mnytime

Does anyone really care who wins this momentary lapse in the Lakers latest Dynasty run? :g:g:g

It’s like when the Spurs won because of the strike. No one even remembers it. Well outside of their fans. ;)

Honestly I haven't watched a game since the Lakers tripped over Shaq stomach and big toe. I have seen some highlights on ESPN. Dallas really choaked tonight. Mark Cuban didn't look very happy or like someone that is considering bringing back Nelson. Who just is not a big game coach.

Oh yea to answer the question. Have to go with the Lakers Byron Scott, I mean the Nets. :D

Of course it takes a former Laker to coach any team from the East to a Championship.

Edited by Mnytime

• 2 weeks later...

if jerz wins the next game, i'd say they've gonna win it all.

doesn't it seem like neither one of these teams wants to win the title.

kobe and shaq would snatch the title.

i've been saying it all along, kenyon needs to give turtle a forearm shot and bill "i am the walrus" walton said the exact thing before the game yesterday. i do know my basketball.

ss1