St. Louis-area CD shops

blake

I'll be in St. Louis over the Thanksgiving holiday. In between eating and watching football I'd like to get out of the house a bit. Can anyone suggest some worthwhile used CD shops? I'll be staying in Ballwin but don't might driving around the city. Actually, any suggestions as to what I might do with my free time would be appreciated.

thanks in advance,

gsb

The two best places to go in St. Louis, by far, are Euclid Records and Vintage Vinyl (scroll down to the link "Locations & store info").

Euclid, IMHO, is the better and more interesting of the two (if I only have time for one, I almost always only go to Euclid) -- but there's lots to love about both (just not as much jazz at Vintage Vinyl). Euclid feels like a mini-"Jazz Record Mart" in some ways (though unlike JRM, they do carry more than just jazz).

The links above go to the specific parts of their web-sites with the locations of their stores. I'd print-out some mapquest maps of each before your trip, particuarly of where Euclid is - cuz I'm originally from St. Louis, and I still get turned around trying to find that place (since they moved a couple years ago).

Edited by Rooster_Ties

As far as other stuff to do and see in St. Louis...

If the weather is nice, St. Louis has a great Zoo - and it's FREE!!! It's right in the middle of the city, in Forest Park. Might have to pay for parking, but otherwise - it's a great way to kill an hour or two. (Not too far from Vintage Vinyl either, though more than walking distance, to be sure.)

The Missouri Botanical Gardens (a.k.a. "Shaw's Garden") is quite nice too -- sort of a "Zoo" for plants. :P Not much will be in bloom in November, but the Japanese Garden is beautiful, year round. And there are a fair number of indoor things to see there too.

The links above go to the specific parts of their web-sites with the locations of their stores. I'd print-out some mapquest maps of each before your trip, particuarly of where Euclid is - cuz I'm originally from St. Louis, and I still get turned around trying to find that place (since they moved a couple years ago).

I didn't know Euclid Records moved to a new location until I saw your post. The store looks nice on their webiste. I should stop by when I visit Columbia (Missouri, that is) next time.

I will probably regret this, but since I'm a local, here goes...

Euclid and Vintage Vinyl have already been mentioned. I frequent both. Neither is a Jazz only shop, but Euclid is the better of the two in that regard. Excellent selection on the LP side, and usually carries most of the imports listed at Dusty Groove. Hint, the used CD's are housed in the back with the LP's, new CD's are up front. I will say that as far as LP's go, Euclid prices have gone up since the move to the new location.

Vintage can yield some great bargains as they don't necessarily focus on the Jazz LP stock. Vintage does get some sealed OOP CD's that Euclid does not (BN Conn's for example). Vintage also has a smaller location in Illinois if you're that way.

Other shops to consider:

Record Exchange - On Hampton in a resurrected public library. The place is HUGE and specializes in 70's type rock, but can yield the jazz find on occaision.

CD Reunion - Locations in North County and St. Charles. Carries the Proper Boxes at a heavy discount. Jazz selection is on the small side, but the North County location usually has a good number of jazz box sets at very attractive prices.

Borders - Tons around town, but the Brentwood location has a great selection. The buyer usually keeps a fair number of imports on the shelves. Pricey, but not too bad with the internet coupons.

Streetside Records - Half the local shops closed in the past few years, but one is down the street from Vintage and is worth a stop for the dedicated Classical room.

There are other smaller shops and book stores with CD / LP sections, but I've got to keep something to myself!

Streetside Records - Half the local shops closed in the past few years, but one is down the street from Vintage and is worth a stop for the dedicated Classical room.

That's sad news. Streetside Records was my favorite store when I lived in Columbia, and I often stop by their stores whenever I visit St. Louis. Do they still have 20 or 25% off used CDs on Saturdays?

Streetside is but a pale shell of its former self, after the chain was bought by some similar-sized chain (based out of New Jersey), about three years ago. I don't even bother to go the two here in the Kansas City area anymore. They gutted the classical and jazz sections, and they don't get shit for new releases any more (no Conns, and RVG’s are hit-n-miss, at best).

The one in Columbia MO is marginally better, if only for their slightly better than average used CD selection. Haven't been in the one in St. Louis in ages (the main one on Delmar, in University City), but I would not make it a very high priority. Their classical room might still be “OK”, but if it's anything like the Streetside here in KC (which used to have a GREAT classical room), then it's probably been gutted to. I never thought the jazz section in St. Louis was all that good, even years ago.

Stick with Euclid and Vintage Vinyl, would be my advice.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I picked up an oop Conn (Mobley's 'Slice of the top') used at Vintage Vinyl last summer--so those types of deals are certainly possible there though, as noted, the jazz selection overall is small. And it's on Delmar which is a fun place to be. But if you're looking strictly for the place with the most jazz, then Euclid records is the place to go. If I had to prioritize, I'd say Euclid first.

I know I'm just restating what others have said, but I LOVE visiting St. Louis, so I want to feel like I'm a part of this thread, even though I've got nothing new to contribute. :o

I know I'm just restating what others have said, but I LOVE visiting St. Louis, so I want to feel like I'm a part of this thread, even though I've got nothing new to contribute. :o

Me too, as I grew up 100 or so miles north of there on the other side of the river.

As soon as I was old enough to drive (late '70s) we'd make a couple of record buying trips a year to Streetside & Vintage Vinyl on Delmar. Sometimes we'd combine the record shopping with concerts. It was always a huge thrill, as our town had lost its lone independent store and the corporate one certainly didn't have a big blues selection, much less much selection of anything.

Though I was mainly buying rock at the time, Vintage Vinyl appreciated for finding boots (shhhhhhh) like Tales From The Who, Who's Zoo, and The Clash's "Guns of Brixton" to name a few.

Ah memories! Sad to hear about Streetside.

Streetside has been bought yet again in the past few months, by an even bigger chain. The selection at the KC store has been GUTTED. It's sadder than sad.

It really is bad ... I think of the $$$ I spent over the years at Pennylane then Streetside. I cannot remember the last time I bought a new CD in KC ... although I would be happy to if there was any selection.

Never been to Euclid, but have used their mail order service for years. "Joe" is the man!

Webster Records is about 6 blocks from the new Euclid location. I've always thought of it as a Classical shop, but they do have a good selection of smaller label jazz that Joe doesn't carry. If you're looking for used Classical CD's, this is the place to go. I'd say it's worth the walk (drive if you have a good haul) from Euclid.