*** Bjork Corner ***

Aggie87

Well, I'm just starting to discover Bjork, so I'm a latecomer to her music. I've noticed enough references to her between Jason Moran and Greg Osby that I decided to nab her greatest hits disk. Found myself really enjoying it, so I just picked up her most recent, Medulla. She's definitely got her own way of phrasing things, and her own way of singing in general, I suppose, but there seems to be something of substance there.

g45456p4mxj.jpg

It's quite interesting, and primarily a vocal only album, with some percussion. While browsing, I noticed another album of hers, entitled Gling Glo.

e82458zhy8t.jpg

Based on the Amazon write-ups, it appears to be Bjork, backed by a jazz trio. Does anyone have this one, and if so, is it actually jazz? I'm almost curious enough to get it anyway.

What other older Bjork (or even Sugarcubes) albums are worth checking out?

Edited by Aggie87

Based on the Amazon write-ups, it appears to be Bjork, backed by a jazz trio. Does anyone have this one, and if so, is it actually jazz? I'm almost curious enough to get it anyway.

Very polite jazz for the completeist.

What other older Bjork (or even Sugarcubes) albums are worth checking out?

All of them! :lol:

MTV Unplugged has arrangements of her Debut album for gamelan, tabla, sax qt., harpsichord...there's a tuba solo in there too. All arranged by Bjork too (2001)

Dancer in the Dark (with an orchestra) and Vespertine are very nice too.

I think she has an amazing voice and arranging skills, but she also picks just the right collaborators too.

That MTV Unplugged thing is available on both CD and DVD, and features Oliver Lake & Julius Hemphill on a few cuts.

I have always been into her since I heard Debut via the wife. Vespertine was a less of a favorite, and I have yet to hear Medulla. I did rent the DVD from Netflix that showed the making of the album.

She did a couple of tracks for the Being John Malkovich soundtrack that were all-vocal [for the most part] and killer!

I have been eyeing that Family Tree box for a while now. BMG has it for $15.99...

I've got an extra copy (used) of the Gling-Glo disk, if anybody's looking for one. Basically it's Bjork singing jazz, backed by a traditional piano-trio. (Very interesting, if one happens to be into that sort of thing.)

Edit: Aggie87, FYI, I sent you a PM about this -- since you seemed interested (in your first post in this thread).

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Count me as a big fan too. I think I have all of her solo albums, and the Sugarcubes "Greatest Hits" compilation too.

I'm pretty sure Jason Moran is the primary source of interest for the various Bjork tunes he and Osby have recorded together (or at least he's been the one bringing the tunes to the table). I talked with Moran on a couple occasions about Bjork, and he's really a big fan of hers. I told him he should record with her sometime, and he said something to the effect that he would be honored to work on such a project.

More trivia about Bjork when I get the chance. Gotta run...

• 4 months later...

Seems I have come late to this discussion ;)

Anyway I said on another thread I saw Bjork interviewed today, about her latest album which for the United Nations. The interesting things is that she sent out an e-mail to her fans, and asked then to send their own re-mixes of her songs and the whole project was done in less than two months.

I did not always understand Bjork and her music, but I have begun to appreciate it a little more. I guess some things take time to mature ;)

Che.

How fitting that this thread got bumped. I rambled on about one song on Medulla on my blog last night.

Love that album more and more...

I am still trying to figure things out on this board B-)

Che.

I like her looks...can't say I've ever heard any of her music.

Bjork is very famous for her 'fashion' sense, and like her music to some it is a little 'off-the wall'.

Che.

Bjork's music videos are excellent....

ahhh... Björk :wub:

Here's a link which will launch The Greatest Video Ever Made:

http://link.toolbot.com/bjorkvid/8793

Gling-Glo is my least favorite of her records. It's not bad, but it's not a context which allows her to do the things she does best as a vocalist. Then again, I've not heard any traditional jazz vocal recording from the last couple of decades which does much for me. (Well, there's Steve Beresford's Signals for Tea, but... :P)

Her greatest recorded performances might be:

1) the version of "It's In Our Hands" on the Live at the Royal Opera House DVD (much different than the studio version included on her Greatest Hits CD);

2) the version of "Undo" on the Vespertine Live CD; and

3) the version of "Scatterheart" on the Selmasongs CD;

4) most versions of "Hyperballad" (incl. the almost unrecognizable "Over the Edge Mix Live" version).

As far as whole albums go, her two masterpieces are Homogenic & Vespertine, though about half of Medúlla is as great as anything she's ever done.

-Jason

"Björk's pitch, cadence and enunciation are so unpredictable you could start a drinking game around them. She's the anti-Sinatra, and one weird pixie."

-- D. Strauss, The New York Observer

Edited by jasonguthartz

I just picked up her most recent, Medulla...

It's quite interesting, and primarily a vocal only album, with some percussion.

My understanding is that there is no percussion on the album - just vocals (sometimes electronically manipulated, as in "Desired Constellation") and some piano. Here's your "percussion" (link launches a brief Quicktime video):

http://unit.bjork.com/specials/albums/medu...ulla_rahzel.mov

If you're intrigued by the contributions of Inuit throat singer Tanya Tagaq Gillis, you might want to check this out:

http://www.ubu.com/ethno/soundings/inuit.html

-Jason

I just picked up her most recent, Medulla...

It's quite interesting, and primarily a vocal only album, with some percussion.

My understanding is that there is no percussion on the album - just vocals (sometimes electronically manipulated, as in "Desired Constellation") and some piano. Here's your "percussion" (link launches a brief Quicktime video):

http://unit.bjork.com/specials/albums/medu...ulla_rahzel.mov

If you're intrigued by the contributions of Inuit throat singer Tanya Tagaq Gillis, you might want to check this out:

http://www.ubu.com/ethno/soundings/inuit.html

-Jason

The percussion are vocals.

Stick around Jason...

• 2 weeks later...