Who's giving it away?

scottb

I finally got high speed internet so we all know what that means. Rippin' tunes!!

One of my motivations for finally making the switch from dial up was when I tried to load an MP3 and it said the loading time was 6 and 1/2 HOURS. I'm not kidding.

Anyone still using dialup can attest to the fact that the industry is forcing us all to high speed by bogging down the internet. Two years ago dial up speed was slow but bearable. Now I can't even open an email over 8 KB!

Anyway, back to the topic. I burned some CDs off Charlie Hunter's website for FREE and they are smokin'!

He's got 3 full CDs worth of MP3s of live performances complete with graphics and did I mention they are FREE? Charlie is the man!

Anyone else worth hearing giving it away?

Greg Osby has some great live stuff up - a few CD's worth - especially from his quartet with Jason Moran, piano; Atsushi (Az'shi) Osada, bass; and Rodney Green, drums. Check it out at http://www.gregosby.com/mp3.html

And be sure to notice that there are TWO pages of downloads from Osby's site. Page "A" and page "B". (It's easy to overlook page "B".)

Can you speak russian?

:g

Here is a link to a website of a guy whose name is Kozlov and he was leading a band called Arsenal for years. They played almost everything from free jazz to disco. The blue titles are links to mp3, right click and choose "save target as".

http://www.musiclab.ru/templates/enc.asp?i...=table_mainmenu

Another link to his solo projects (plays alto).

http://www.musiclab.ru/templates/enc.asp?i...=table_mainmenu

Here are a few Free and legit nice MP3s:

Jeremy Pelt - an excellent up and rising trumpet player.

jimmy greene

Lonnie Plaxico

Marcus Strickland (Live stuff at the bottom)

The great Andrew Hill

Many many fine (some not as fine but it always makes a very interesting listen full albums of Steve Coleman

Try also Steve Lehman - an interesting young Saxist/Composer

And of course the great Bari player Glenn Wilson

You now need hours to listen to all the stuff. Enjoy!!

Greg Osby has some great live stuff up - a few CD's worth - especially from his quartet with Jason Moran, piano; Atsushi (Az'shi) Osada, bass; and Rodney Green, drums. Check it out at http://www.gregosby.com/mp3.html

And be sure to notice that there are TWO pages of downloads from Osby's site. Page "A" and page "B". (It's easy to overlook page "B".)

Good catch, Rooster - I had in fact overlooked that. Note the links for pages A and B at the top of the page I linked, near Osby's head.... :ph34r:

So far I've downloaded 3 Charlie Hunter discs, 2 Greg Osby, 1 Garage A Trois, sampled some Blues Traveler but havn't burned it yet. (May not) Listened to coutless others. I may never buy a CD at a store again! I'm going to get into hot water with my wife if i keep this up.

I came across a vibraphonist named Jeff Lash. He lives in St. Louis. I think some of you guys are out there right? Anyway, I've been really impressed with his trio. I don't know that he has anything out on CD (which I deduct Chuck is alluding to as "the ticket"), but this stuff is great. Vibes, bass, drums trio interpreting some unlikely songs that you wouldn't find in the Real Book. Then there are some standards as well, tastefully idiosyncratic.

I've emailed him to see if he has considered releasing any legit music, or even video.

Anyway, here's the link:

Jeff Lash Trio

Yup, free music, that's the ticket.

I know you don't like to hear this, Chuck, but "free" downloads - much like the blindfold tests here - have exposed me to new artists and more styles of music than I would have discovered otherwise. And as a result my purchases have gone up. Way up.

There are really too many free things for me to list them at The Wire.

Here is a sample:

Terry Riley - Music for the Gift (part 1) (Terry Riley)

Lee Dorsey - Give It Up (Saturday Night Fish Fry: New Orleans Funk and Soul)

Herbie Hancock - Palm Grease (Thrust)

Tony Conrad - Four Violins (1964) [Edit #1] (Early Minimalism Sampler)

Rhys Chatham - Guitar Trio [Edit] (A Rhys Chatham Compendium)

Matmos - Verber: Amplified Synapse (Matmos)

George Russell - Electronic Sonata For Souls Loved By Nature (Essence Of George Russell)

Master Musicians Of Jajouka - Your Eyes Are Like a Cup of Tea (Al Yunic Sharbouni Ate) (Brian Jones Presents the Pipes of Pan at Jajouka (Bonus Disc))

Richard Youngs - Part I (Advent)

Son House - My Black Mama (The Voice Of The Delta: The Charley Patton Legacy)

They also have every episode of The Wire On The Air which is billed as "Since January 2003, The Wire has been hosting a weekly show of new music on London's arts/community access station, Resonance 104.4 FM. The show is broadcast across central London on 104.4 FM every Thursday, 9:30-11pm GMT (and repeated every Wednesday, 7-8:30am GMT), with simultaneous streaming at resonancefm.com"

Anyway, I found a lot of really good music on the above pages that I hadn't been exposed to in the past.