May I vent???

wolff

Thanks.

Since this involves vinyl I'll post it here.

Sold a guy(not from here) an LP for $10.

Got an e-mail that said, This is not any kind of "Gold Master Disc" as you advertised.....this is the regular old Warner Brothers pressing, I aready have copy of this pressing. I will be sending you this copy back and please send my money back.

My ad said, Dire Straits: Love Over Gold Masterdisk...

I wrote back, Where did I say "Gold Master Disc". The title of the LP is Love Over Gold and Masterdisk did the mastering.

He wrote, You have totally mislead me with this ad. If you are welching and misleading let me know now so I don't waste two more dollars shipping you back a regular old pressing which I already have a copy of.

I wrote, BTW what's a "Gold Master Disc"(aren't they CD's?) of the LP 'Love Over Gold"? Just curious...

He wrote, I have no idea I thought you were selling some "Audiophile" copy of this album...Are you going to return my money or not? BTW What is DEAD WAX? Never heard of it don't know where it is and can't find "MasterDisc" any where on the album...or are we just going to play email games?

Soon after this I called him. I had to get to the bottom of this. I explained that people buying this LP, look for Masterdisk and RL in the dead wax. And, that people selling this LP and many others mention Masterdisk when appropriate.

He had no idea what I was talking about and was still claiming he could not find Masterdisk in the dead wax.

I kept asking him why he thought he was getting a 'Gold Master Disc'. I also asked him what a 'Gold Master Disc' was. And I asked, why he thought I was selling him a 'Gold Master Disc' of the LP 'Love Over Gold'. He had a lot of trouble answering these questions.

Right around this point he said , "I probably screwed up, but I do not see 'Masterdisk' anywhere.

I said, "Yes, and I understand how you screwed up, but what does it have to do with me? And, the way you talked to me was total bullshit."

In a very defeated, beaten down way he said "you win'. But I could tell he was still not taking resposibility, as he could still not find Masterdisk in the dead wax with his pilot's 20/20 vision that gets checked every 6 months, so I just let it go at that.

Told him to get some some sleep and look for Masterdisk in the morning.

Will I hear from him again? I'm guessing no.

Should I refund his money if he still wants it back? If he quits 'playing me' I'll refund. If he still acts like a jerk, no way.

If the sale gone bad is risking a negative rating for you at a trading web site. If you desire to not risk your good standing. Refund the money if the product is returned in the same condition it was sent. Especially if it's only a few dollars.

On the other hand, even 'I,' who listen to jazz 99.9% of the time, am aware of the title of the Dire Straits album 'Love Over Gold.'

f85434w1vdg.jpg

This connoisseur of Dire Straits music, who you made the sale to, believed there was a Dire Straits album entitled 'Love Over?' :huh:

Buyer, be aware of what you are buying.

Edited by wesbed

Obviously the guy's an idiot who feels stupid for having bid on something he presumed was different without doing any research. But if you're concerned about your "good name" then I guess you should go ahead and refund the money.

If you relist this, you might consider using the heading "Love Over Gold - Masterdisc".

I'm all for "caveat emptor," but it seems like a silly thing to quibble over a few dollars. If he's willing to send it back in good condition, then give him his money back and be done with it. Is there space where the LP is listed to provide a description? Maybe you should include a brief explanation of what "Master disk" means in this context.

Before refunding I wanted a chance to explain myself and the situation to this guy.

Had I not contacted him and just refunded the money, he would have never understood the errors made and would have still thought me a liar and cheat.

He just left me positive feedback.