did miles FIRE red for evans

Guest ariceffron

Except that AFAIK, Miles didn't record a single modal tune during Evans's actual tenure in the band.

Guy

:blink::wacko:

Do you mean to say that contrary to everything I've ever read about Kind of Blue, its not (aside from "Freddie Freeloader" which Wynton Kelly plays on anyway) the breakthrough modal album?

Dan,

As John L mentions, Kind of Blue was recorded several months after Evans's departure from the band. During Evans's tenure in Davis's working group, the group had a similar live repertoire to that when Garland was in the group. The "jazz track" studio session with Evans didn't include any modal pieces.

It's definitely plausible that Miles hired Evans because he had a different approach to the piano than Garland. But there's absolutely no recorded evidence that he did so because "Evans was into the modal thing."

Guy

I'll direct you to what I posted simultaneously to your posting.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be that as it may, Kind of Blue was not the very first time anyone played modes.  Whether it wasn't documented at a recording session until after Evans had actually left the band says absolutely nothing about whether or not Miles had been moving in a modal direction for some time before.

Miles had been playing around with static harmony since the early '50s. He experimented with it frequently when Garland was in the band. But that's tangential to the question of whether Miles hired Evans because of the "modal thing".

Is there any record whatsoever of Miles intensifying his experimentation with modes while Evans was in the working band? You would think that if Miles really did hire Evans for his comfort in modal context, we would find some recordings from 1958 (live or studio) that reflect this interest. But as far as I know, we don't.

Instead, we have a statement years after the fact, in a book which has all sorts of factual issues surrounding it. It's riddled with factual inaccuracies. I'd be interested -- are there any statements from Evans or Miles in 1958 that address the modal question?

And if he brought Evans back specifically for that recording, it says everything you need to know about how Miles felt about Evans modal playing.

...in March 1959, about a year after he first hired Evans, and several months after Evans left the band.

Guy

Edited by Guy Berger

Do to popular demand (:w) I'm returning "donkey ass" to my sig line. Shane has it right: it came from a "review" on the ol' BN board. The other one was much, well, funnier, but there's a sweet naivete about this one that I've always found more appealing. That, and the hilarious broken english. :lol:

It was taken from a Blue Note website CD review.  Which CD I am not sure but I want to say it was Norah's.

Nah,

It was actually taken from a review on the Blue Note site of "Birth of the Cool". The review immediately below it was MUCH better though! Anyone remember that one? :g

Cheers,

Shane

Found it! But it's actual more vulgar and less funny than I remember...

http://web.archive.org/web/20030121110037/...electionID=9529

"Do you mean to say that contrary to everything I've ever read about Kind of Blue, it[']s not (aside from 'Freddie Freeloader' which Wynton Kelly plays on anyway) the breakthrough modal album?" [Dan Gould]

"Freddie Freeloader" is not the only tune on Kind Of Blue that's not a modal tune. "All Blues" is a blues, and "Blue In Green" has detailed changes. So only two ("So What" and "Flamenco Sketches") of the five compositions on the album are modal.