Levis Strauss: USA or foriegn?

RonF

Can't seem to get a straight story on Levis. About 3 years ago, I thought I read that Levis were no longer being made in the United States. Now I have friends who say, Don't Buy Levis! They outsourced their entire company. What's the truth? Anyone know?

The last pair of Levi's I purchased were made in Canada.

I believe some Guinness is brewed in Canada, these days, too.

Sheesh.

I looked on the inside tags at a local shop last week. I saw Levis that were made in Egypt, Mexico and Losotho?(sp)? Where the hell is that?

My complaint against clothing made in locations outside of the USA, regardless of the cost of labor or how said labor is treated, is that every garment, pair, or set is different. When I purchased my last pair of Levi's I had to try several pairs in my size to find a good pair for me. The Canada pair was the one that worked for me. There appears to be nothing consistent or precise about the marked size.

I used to be able to purchase running shoes according to the marked size. When I'd purchase my favorite brand and model of running shoes I could purchase the shoes right off the shelf at my local running store. I knew, based on the size and based on previous experience with that brand and model, that the shoes would work for me. At least, this was back when the running shoes were made in the United States. Now that all the running shoes are made in China and various other locations outside of the USA I have to try this pair and that pair. The size is a ballpark figure. Every pair, regardless of the marked size, is different.

Lesotho is completely enclosed by South Africa but isn't part of South Africa.

There's an article on FastCompany.com that talks about Levi's making their new line of cheap jeans, to be sold exclusively at Wal-Mart, in some Third World country. I don't think it's any of the ones mentioned so far, though. Might have been China.

From the article:

The Signature line--it includes clothing for girls, boys, men, and women--is an odd departure for a company whose brand has long been an American icon. Some of the jeans have the look, the fingertip feel, of pricier Levis. But much of the clothing has the look and feel it must have, given its price (around $23 for adult pants): cheap. Cheap and disappointing to find labeled with Levi Strauss's name. And just five days before the cheery profit news, Levi had another announcement: It is closing its last two U.S. factories, both in San Antonio, and laying off more than 2,500 workers, or 21% of its workforce. A company that 22 years ago had 60 clothing plants in the United States--and that was known as one of the most socially reponsible corporations on the planet--will, by 2004, not make any clothes at all. It will just import them.

The Guinness we get in the States is brewed in Canada.  For that mater, so is Fosters.

I know it shouldn't matter. I know my opinion is a little bit dumb. It just kinda ticks me off that Guinness brews the beer in Canada rather than Ireland. Why not just brew the beer in the United States?

Methinks it's because Canada is very close to the United States for shipping purposes. However, if the beer is brewed in Canada, rather than in the USA, the Guinness company can still place the 'imported' label on the package.

It seems like I read, somewhere, that Guinness is partly or mostly owned by Anheuser-Busch. I don't know, I could be wrong. Why not brew the Guinness in St. Louis, Missouri?

Edited by wesbed

That's probaby a good guess. When I was living in Texas we couldn't get Beamish because something about the Beamish can claims it to be a "stout" in such a manner that it does not comply with Texas liquor laws. Get this...it doesn't have enough alcohol to be sold in the state. This means it must be either lower than Guinness (which is somewhere around 3.8) or Guinness goes to the trouble to designate packaging for certain markets. And anyone in Texas will tell you that the Big Three US companies have altogether different packaging--and in some cases (Bud) altogether different glass--with Texas just below the neck. Sheesh...

When I worked in wine/beer retail in Kansas I seem to remember a rep telling me that there are five Guinness breweries in the world. You can imagine that there is one in every major continent (Africa, S. America, Asia, etc). As for specifics...I don't remember.

Edited by Brandon Burke

Lesotho is completely enclosed by South Africa but isn't part of South Africa.

Boy, I'll bet those folks are making at least 75 cents a day. Well, maybe that's a little high. I wonder about the wages in Egypt, too. The whole picture stinks.

So you want them to lose their job too?

Wranglers tend fit those of us with protruding (slightly or otherwise) abdomenical areas better than do Levis.

What I need to find now is some britches for the man who's lost all of his ass to said abdomenicals. What about that, huh?

Edited by JSngry