Pee Wee Russell plays Monk?

ii-5-i

I first want to say I'm not being flippant about this question. I was sitting at a restaurant this evening and several Monk pieces were being played as background music. I suddenly got this thought as Charlie Rouse was soloing that Pee Wee Russell would have been a perfect foil for Monk's tangential style.

Anyone out there with any comments?

Hmmm...

Pee Wee Russell plays on this one:

f42807panv0.jpg

Monk At Newport

I read that Pee Wee was supposed to have a rehearsal with Monk for the Newport set. Pee Wee showed up for the rehearsal, but Monk did not, leaving Pee Wee deeply apprehensive. Can't recall where I read that, but I remember the author's comment was that PeeWee never quite got into the set.

• 3 weeks later...

From "Jazz Reunion" (Candid, 1961) liner notes by Nat Henthoff:

Nat Pierce, who had arranged all the numbers, wandered over and said to (Coleman) Hawkins: "Did you notice how that tune of Pee Wee´s "28th and 8th", sounded like something Monk might have written?"

"I can understand how it could", said the patriarch.

"And some of Pee Wee´s choruses", added Bob Brookmeyer, "are really way out."

"I know, I know", said Hawkins, "For thirty years, I´ve been listening to him play those funny notes. He used to think they were wrong, but they weren´t. He´s always been way out, but they didn´t have a name for it then".

Lucky dog! You got to see Butch Warren in his prime.

Butch is one of the unsung heroes of the bass. It's a shame that his health problems have kept him off the scene for the last 40 years. We in DC are lucky to be the only ones to see him at all, although even that is sporadic.

I was discussing the idea of putting together a tribute/benefit with some local players. I think I'll call right now and get the ball rolling.

Bertrand.