Why is Lee Morgan's "Vol. 3"

Since every number on the cd was written by Golson, how is it that this wound up being a Morgan session? Golson had already led a BN session ('Philadelphians') by this time hadn't he? Even though I'm quite fond of "Mesabi Chant" and "Tip-Toeing" it's one of those cds that just doesn't get pulled from the stax all that often...and I never see much chatter about it either --- is it viewed as sub-standard or so? Hard to believe.

Since every number on the cd was written by Golson, how is it that this wound up being a Morgan session?

I think that some of these things can be somewhat arbitrary. Whether under Morgan's or Golson's name, the music on "Lee Morgan Vol. 3" would be among my favorite programs from the '50s. "Hasaan's Dream" and "I Remember Clifford" are especially memorable.

• 1 year later...

Patrick Roques did a very nice job of approximating a Reid Miles cover for that one, though.

Had to look this one up - as it was a cover I had never seen before. Here 't is...

f44735lkaoe.jpg

Just picked up a used copy of this CD today. Haven't listened to quite all of it yet, but what I've heard -- I like!!

EDIT: Listened to the whole thing in the car, while driving around town to various appointments. Great disc. Always good to have some more Lee that I didn't have previously.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

You are so right, Rooster Ties, about it always being so good to have more Lee Morgan. I have between 85 and 90 CDs with Lee as leader or sideman and it isn't enough. The ones I know of that I do not have are either larger groups than I normally like, or that I think are too free for my taste. One with a large group I do have, of course, is with Gillespie at Newport. Never too much Lee Morgan!

Tom

You are so right, Rooster Ties, about it always being so good to have more Lee Morgan. I have between 85 and 90 CDs with Lee as leader or sideman and it isn't enough. ...................Never too much Lee Morgan!

Tom

My sentiments exactly!

Good points about Vol. 3. While I enjoy the session it is not SFNL.. :) Still, there is very little Lee that I do not enjoy. I have the Golson disc as well. Pretty good date as I recall.

Since every number on the cd was written by Golson, how is it that this wound up being a Morgan session? Golson had already led a BN session ('Philadelphians') by this time hadn't he? Even though I'm quite fond of "Mesabi Chant" and "Tip-Toeing" it's one of those cds that just doesn't get pulled from the stax all that often...and I never see much chatter about it either --- is it viewed as sub-standard or so? Hard to believe.

Getting back to the original question, this is a very good session and from my recollection of the Mosaic book quite highly viewed. Hassan's Dream is very well written and tells a great story. Lee's rendition of I Remember Clifford is the most moving version I've heard of this (although not the original one).