Favorite Hitchcock Film

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted for Rear Window, but Notorious, The Lady Vanishes, and North By Northwest would be just about tied for second place. And what about Shadow of A Doubt? If you go up to Santa Rosa you can still see traces of the town that Hitchcock filmed in the forties. great performance by Joseph Cotten too.

Rooster,

LIFEBOAT is worth catching. The entire film takes place on a single set; a lifeboat with the survivors from a U2 attack. It's an interesting psychological character study.

AND it's got Tallulah Bankhead, very enjoyable as the career woman/reporter. Very much a WWII film, but entertaining as such. Sort of a filmed one-act play as well, but better than Rope IMHO.

Rooster,

LIFEBOAT is worth catching.  The entire film takes place on a single set; a lifeboat with the survivors from a U2 attack.    It's an interesting psychological character study.

AND it's got Tallulah Bankhead, very enjoyable as the career woman/reporter. Very much a WWII film, but entertaining as such. Sort of a filmed one-act play as well, but better than Rope IMHO.

I have both of them, so I'll have to watch them again. So far, "Rope" is my favourite, but I haven't seen "Strangers on a Train" for awhile. :)

36 Steps, the pre-quel. Made in the last weeks of the master's life this MASTERPIECE gives meaning to all that came before. All questions are answered. Tipi Hedren is outstanding! The Lifeboat really sank, but they cut to the fantasy ending, leaving out the ugly end of the characters. Cary Grant fell off the nose of Washington, but again the fantasy ending was used.

Damn, that pot roast was HARD!

I love the carousel sequence at the end of "Strangers on a Train". Simply some of the best suspenseful movie-making in the whole history of cinema.

I'm pretty sure that "Strangers on a Train" is my favorite 'black and white' Hitchcock movie. Haven't seen it in 10 years, but I remember it pretty well even today. Maybe not the specific plot, but much of the visual imagery is still pretty clear in my mind, even a decade later.

It's interesting that we all have favourite scenes in Hitchcock films. I know I do. I mentioned the bedroom scene in "Rebecca" and didn't mention the shower scene in "Psycho", because that's the only one that even non-Hitchcock devotees know, even if they've never seen others. However, there have been other admirers of Hitchcock's work [brian de Palma, for one] who have paid homage to that one scene in their subsequent films.

I know that I never see a shower scene, in a thriller, without thinking of "Psycho".

• 5 years later...

I seem to be in the majority, having selected North by Northwest. Not only is it my favorite Hitchcock movie, it's my favorite movie period. I have no idea how many times I've seen it, theatrically and on home video.

Also very fond of Notorious, The 39 Steps, The Lady Vanishes, and Rebecca.

Lots of great movies here, but I've got to go with Notorious. I've always thought this was the movie where Hitchcock really hit his stride. The fact that it involves Nazis is also appealing to me as I'm something of an era centric history buff. But the real attraction of this film is the chemistry between Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman. It just doesn't get any better than this. Bergman was always gorgeous in the '40's, but there's just something about her role in Notorious that sets it apart for me. Maybe she was more real and more vulnerable in this film than in any other I can think of. I have this from the Criterion collection so there's lots of interesting extras included.

Second and third choice for me would be North By Northwest and Rebecca.

Up over and out.

My son William picks North By Northwest as his favorite. Not a bad choice.

Although I've probably said this before, with Hitch I don't have a single favorite so much as a top five or six. Rear Window, Notorious, The Lady Vanishes, The 39 Steps, as well as the above-mentioned NBN are all in it. But I also have a lot of affection for Strangers On A Train and Shadow Of A Doubt too.

Not a big fan of Rebecca though.

Edited by BruceH

My favorites include

The 39 Steps

The Lady Vanishes

The Man Who Knew Too Much (first version, from the 1930s)

Sabotage

Saboteur

Strangers on a Train

Shadow of a Doubt

Lifeboat

Notorious

North by Northwest

If I absolutely had to pick one, it would be The Lady Vanishes.

Edited by Hot Ptah