Thelonious in Action

Late

Though I'm currently weaning myself of a case of upgrade-itis, this is one title I'd like to hear a fresher remastering of — though, truth be told, the OJC doesn't sound all that bad.

Opinions on favorite editions? (Probably won't be doing vinyl, just as a note. Would like to, though.)

My favorite version is the AP gold CD from the Riverside Tenor Sessions set, but that box is hideously expensive. My second choice would be the now OOP Japanese 20-bit Digital K2 remastered reissue, though I'm not sure I like the highs of that one. Unlike the AP, the Japanese version has the same bonus tracks as the OJC.

My second choice would be the now OOP Japanese 20-bit Digital K2 remastered reissue ...

I just got an e-mail from Hiroshi on Tuesday stating that he couldn't find this one for me. :(

Those Japanese Victor mini-LP CDs are OOP and very hard to find.

Did Hoffman ever take a crack at remastering this one?

Not as far as I know. The AP gold disc was remastered by Kevin Gray; he did an excellent job.

Analogue Productions has released a 2LP-45 rpm set. Don't know if it's mastered by Hoffman or Gray, or if it's a team effort.

I have a Japanese LP version which sounds OK, but I wonder how good the recording was to begin with. The AP 45 may be the best sounding version out there, but I don't think that I'm going to part with 50 bucks to find out.