Alexander

jazzbo

Anyone see this movie? I'm of divided minds about it. I either really liked it or I liked it. . . but. . . .

The manly love was not overdone and not inappropriate for the period. I feel cheated though that they didn't include Egypt and the announcement by the oracle. . . . What a heartbeat for the film that would have made, and I nearly fell out of my chair when they went right from training in Macedonia to the battle against Darius!

Anyway, beautiful filming, some good action, and wow. . . Babylon!

Something makes me think Stone may have been spinning a message for our times. . . . G. W. carrying out the war his father didn't . . . just like Alexander and Philip. . . . G. W. on his quest to bring democracy to the "east" just like Alexander wanted to bring the "Greek" Freedom and culture. . . . G. W. not knowing when to stop. . . Alexander keeping on the march to the end of the world that never arrives. . . ?

Edited by jazzbo

I really wanted to see this flick, but poor reviews and an unwilling girlfriend have pushed me away from it for the time being.

I still think that I want to see it albeit at minimal cost. I did, however, see "National Treasure" on the weekend. Can anyone say "Da Vinci Code"!?!?!

Edited by undergroundagent

My favorite episode in Alexander's life involves his solving the Gordian knot - an unsolvable ancient puzzle. Alexander cut the knot in two with his sword, demonstrating (centuries ahead of his time) that sometimes the only solution to an intractable problem is to step outside of conventional solutions. Did Stone put this in his film? None of the reviews have mentioned it.

Thank you, Alexander, for finally posting in this thread entitled "Alexander" -- I was experiencing severe dyslexia trying to remind myself that it was Lon who started it and not you!!! :wacko:

My favorite Alexander story is how he tamed his stallion, Bucephalus:

According to the historian Plutarch, as a boy Alexander tamed the wild Bucephalus by turning his head towards the sun, thereby preventing the horse from being frightened of his own shadow. (Plutarch says the incident so impressed Alexander's father, King Philip, that he told the boy "Look thee out a kingdom equal to and worthy of thyself, for Macedonia is too little for thee.") Alexander named the horse Bucephalus ("ox-head") because the horse's head seemed as broad as a bull's. Bucephalus carried Alexander on many military campaigns and finally died in battle; Alexander reportedly wept at the horse's burial and founded the city of Bucephala to commemorate his deeds.

Did THAT make it into the movie? (I guess maybe it's more suitable for the Disney version aimed at pre-teen girls!)

BTW, the name of the site where I quoted that story from is hilarious: SEVEN HORSES OF HIGHLY EFFECTIVE PEOPLE !

Thank you, Alexander, for finally posting in this thread entitled "Alexander" -- I was experiencing severe dyslexia trying to remind myself that it was Lon who started it and not you!!! :wacko:

You're so vain - you probably think this thread is about you...

Don't you?

Bucephalus.

Now that stirs some memories.

I had this wonderful history teacher for many years, Mr. Anthony Vadala (actually, his sister might be known to some of you in the US: Julia Taft, Assistant Administrator and Director in the Bureau for Crisis Prevention and Recovery (BCPR) in the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), a wonderful lady with as big a heart as her brother), who threw these horrible 100 Specifics tests at us, usually at the most inconvenient time. We had to work our rear ends off for those.

One of the classic questions was "What was the name of Alexander the Great's horse?" We stopped making fun of these tests once we realized that the sheer number of them actually crammed tons of facts into our heads, facts that still come in handy today (especially now that I'm a teacher myself). These tests were just a small part of his lessons and he really taught us to use our brains and our curiosity to the best effect.

Best teacher I ever had.

Cheers!

Edit: Added a link

Edited by deus62

• 8 months later...

Well, this movie has come out on dvd this week, and seems to be selling very well. . . . There are over 200 reviews on Amazon, and they seem to be divided between homophobes who don't get it, people who are really upset over nitpicks of historical inaccuracy (hey I hate historical inaccuracy but don't expect it in Hollywood biopics!) and people who enjoyed the lush and vivid scenes and storytelling.

I've got a copy of the dvd set (director's cut) on the way to me, I wanted to see this again in the theater and never did manage to, so I spent some birthday dollars on the dvd. . . .