Ray Charles DVD 1963 Live in Brazil

Soul Stream

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I'm hearing through the local grapevine that Tina Brooks is on here. Haven't had that definitively confirmed, however.

Correct:

"By the way, though I haven't watched Ray in Brazil through, when I previewed it I caught one item that will certainly be of interest to many: an instrumental with a tenor battle between Fathead Newman & Tina Brooks."

Yeah, I'm hearing through the local grapevine that Tina Brooks is on here. Haven't had that definitively confirmed, however.

Correct:

"By the way, though I haven't watched Ray in Brazil through, when I previewed it I caught one item that will certainly be of interest to many: an instrumental with a tenor battle between Fathead Newman & Tina Brooks."

Who are you quoting, John?

I grabbed this over the weekend, I'm going to identify it as a "Santa" gift to me and the Mrs. I promise it will be the very first thing we watch after the World Series DVD. :g

But seriously, when did Tina Brooks get a gig with Ray? How long did it last? It would make me wonder if Tina's life could have been different if he had a steady gig with Ray ...

Correct:

I grabbed this over the weekend, I'm going to identify it as a "Santa" gift to me and the Mrs. I promise it will be the very first thing we watch after the World Series DVD. :g

But seriously, when did Tina Brooks get a gig with Ray? How long did it last? It would make me wonder if Tina's life could have been different if he had a steady gig with Ray ...

a poster over at Jazz Corner, Pete C, who occasionaly posts here. I still haven't seen the dvd myself.

Correct:

a poster over at Jazz Corner, Pete C, who occasionaly posts here. I still haven't seen the dvd myself.

Sounds like the same exchange that Harold Z. identifies as James Clay and Fathead. Need to study all available Tina and Clay pictures before watching, I guess!

In the notes David Ritz keeps referring to one of the performances as a "rehearsal". Does he mean the first one? Both seem to be live concerts to me-- though we don't see the audience in the first one. Maybe because of the mix ( the vocals seem a bit low to me) the 2nd concert seems hotter or is that just me?

Edited by medjuck

Just opened this up, and its there in black and white: Tina Brooks - tenor

Not sure why people were talking about trying to identify the members of the band, and whether its Tina or not.

OK, my wife and I watched the first set and I have three things to say:

1) Like the topic says, RUN, don't walk, to grab this!

2) I have no doubt whatsoever that its Tina Brooks soloing and trading fours with Fathead on 'Birth of a Band"

3) Anyone who has this, please listen closely to the first take of "Moanin'" and confirm for me that in his solo, Ray quotes directly and at length from "Work Song". Right from the start of his solo, I was certain that was what I was hearing, so I found a version of Work Song to play for my wife, and she applauded my ears ... but just to be sure, I'd like to hear someone from the board confirm ...