Sonny Stitt

pryan

Just listening to the clips, WOW. I've got a bunch of Sonny's stuff and I like him quite a bit, but I still don't know -- nine discs is rather large. So I ask you people who own this set: is it worth it? Are the contexts varied enough to provide multiple views of the 'Lone Wolf'? I notice Hank Jones is on a number of sessions, as is Roy Haynes, which is a good thing.

I won't be grabbing this (if I do decide to get it) until sometime in the new year when I have some dough to spare, but I'd like to hear some thoughts from those who have this in advance.

I have it, I like it, but discounting the Johnny Richards/Quincy Jones sessions and the organ-based sessions, there isn't that much variation. Mostly Stitt as the lone horn with piano, bass, drums backing. Having said that though, I love Sonny's playing and have on several occasions played two or three discs in the set in a row without getting bored. It's worth having IMO if you can swing the hefty price tag.

I find it hard to disagree with ralphie boy but I actually do like the Johnny Richards and Quincy Jones material. This is one of my favorite Mosaics and is responsible for getting into Sonny in a big way. There may be something to the way Sonny played but that's the way he played throughout his career and I like the results. He's not who evolved his style. He basically had a style and he threw the gauntlet down. When you can pick it up. Like I said I wasn't a huge Sonny fan before I got the Mosaic and 9 discs didn't bore me. Plus this material nicely dovetails with his Verve material from that era. So if you get that and the Verve material, you've got a good chunk of Sonny.

I have the set too and like it a lot. It's exactly what you expect from Stitt, some fine blues playing and a bunch of good standards. If I have a complaint it's minor, towards the middle of the set some of the numbers are a little on the short side.

This set is no nonsense small group jazz at it's finest (save for the first disc). I would highly recommend this set. Sonny mixes it up playing both tenor and alto and his improvisations / lines are exquisite. Sure there are all the Stitt clichés but he plays with such precision you are taken aback with every listen. While not much of a writer, Stitt's mastery of the blues and standard tunes is of the highest order and each solo is a master class in itself.

Don't hesitate on this one.

This set is no nonsense small group jazz at it's finest (save for the first disc). I would highly recommend this set. Sonny mixes it up playing both tenor and alto and his improvisations / lines are exquisite. Sure there are all the Stitt clichés but he plays with such precision you are taken aback with every listen. While not much of a writer, Stitt's mastery of the blues and standard tunes is of the highest order and each solo is a master class in itself.

Don't hesitate on this one.

Very well put!!

There is something about Stitt that causes

me never to tire of him. It could be his solid

full sound, his firm attack, his smooth articulation,

or his seemingly endless font of ideas that just roll

out of his horn.

He never sounds as if he is overblowing but

nevertheless always sounds exciting.

His tone is robust but without any annoying edginess

or excessive vibrato.

Quite simply the man was a monster who honed his

skills to a remarkable level.

I loaded up the 6 CD changer in my car with the first 6 discs

in the set and couldn't wait to place the remeining discs in there

after I finished listening to the first 6.

I can't imagine any jazz lover who would not enjoy this set.

And it is a luxury indeed to hear this material with

sound that in general is far improved over the original issues.

This set was one of the few Mosaic no brainers for me;

The Gerald Wilson set was another, and the Mobley, and Curtis Fuller,

and Lee Morgan, J.J. Johnson, and....... You get the idea.