Playful Intentions

jazzbo

Got a good listen on Saturday to Phil Grenadier's "Playful Intentions" on Fresh Sounds New Talent. MAN, this is a good cd. The sound is great and the exploratory but grounded writing and playing is just right. I can recommend this one. Must have been fun to record with your brother, Phil---and you both have reason to be proud.

Edited by jazzbo

Phil's on a roll - besides this HIGHLY recommended new release of his (love the title, btw, as it sums up the music in several different ways), his appearances on Eric T. Johnson's new Summit release HERBIE NICHOLS, VOLUME 1 is nothing short of outstanding.

The (trumpet) guy's got PERSONALITY in his playing, beaucoups personality, in fact, and there just ain't that much of that around these days. PLAYFUL INTENTIONS is a seriously happy/happily serious work from a musician from whom we'll hopefully be hearing lots more.

Check it out! :tup:tup:tup:tup:tup

Got anything else coming out soon, Phil? (Don't you just love THAT question? :D :D :D)

Seriously, I ask because...

That Johnson/Nichols date's been getting pretty heavy airplay on KNTU down here, and I enjoy it every time out, your unique contributions in particular, so I'm wondering if you've done any more sideman dates recently that we can look forward to?

You got a good thing goin', man!

Phil Grenadier: "Playful Intentions" - Featuring: Phil Grenadier (tp), Kurt Rosenwinkel (g), Bill Carrothers (p), Larry Grenadier (ba), Jeff Ballard (d)

OH MY GOD - "Playful Intentions" was already on my "buy it soon" list, but I didn't realize until just this very moment that none other than my favorite "currently active pianist that nobody's ever heard of", Bill Carrothers, is on this one too!!!!

Hey Phil, how'd you hook up with Carrothers???? He's on several albums I simply love, and I think he is a way-underrated player. Kudos for what looks like a great line-up, and I can't wait to hear this one!!!

FYI, Carrothers is a sideman on albums by Scott Colley, Dave Douglas, and both of Bill Stewart's releases on good ol' BN, plus Bill has a number of fine (but unfortunately obscure) albums under his own leadership. I don't have all of them (yet), but they're all listed at his homepage: Bill Carrothers' homepage (link)

Jim--Thanks so much.I'm glad you dig that Eric Johnson CD.We did that on lovely Martha's Vineyard a few years back.

New stuff available-

Phill Argyris-"A Point Of Departure"-w/Stan Strickland-tenor sax

Bruno Raberg Quartet-"Ascensio" -a quartet of trumpet,alto,bass,drums.Bruno is a wonderful composer.You'd like this one Jim.

New stuff coming-

Rick DiMuzio--tenor player composed a suite.Got to play with John Hollenbeck,who's an amazing drummer.

Anthony Braxton-50 musicians in an ice rink for 8 hours....

Rooster--I lived in NYC for 7 years,so I'd been over to Bill Carrothers' place for sessions in the past.I've always been amazed by his approach.He is an amazing person-brilliant & down to earth.I wanted to bounce off Bill & I thought Bill & Kurt would be very interesting together--It worked!Bill has a new CD on Sketch(?) that I haven't heard yet...

Joe G-I'm gonna' see Jeff Ballard next week.I'll ask him about Kurt's next one.

Excellent recording Phil. Like this band a whole lot. Agree with the above poster about Rosenwinkel; probably the most I've enjoyed his playing. really a killer band with some great original compositions. Congrats Phil!

BTW, anyone know where I can find that Johnson CD?

The last few days, I have been feeling rather ill and feverish, and generally asking myself what I'm still doing at the office in the first place...

Anyway, when I did get home and was ready to do some serious convalescing, the first CD I grabbed was Mr. Grenadier's Playful Intentions, and it magically made me feel better and more peaceful (especially the "More Mist from Cali" track).

Thanks for healing this kitty!

JK :)