Who wants to see Khan Jamal-Moondoc-Roy Campbell?

Dmitry

Sure thing, Dmitry, sounds great!! Hey, can you swing by and get me?? - my car's in the shop this week. I live in midtown Kansas City, but if you want - I can meet you at someplace easier to find then my house. Do you know where "The Corner" restaurant is, at Broadway and Westport Road?? (Across from the bank.) Or how about near 39th & State Line Rd. (at that great Vietnamese restaurant next to the used book store - you know, the one across from the coffee house)?? Or, I can PM you with the address where I live, if you don't mind picking me up at home. Thanks!!!! - Looking forward to the show!!!

Oh, what time did you want to meet to pick me up???

-- Rooster T.

Clem, they don't turn the room for the second set, at least not on my memory, so it can get pretty crowded for the 2nd set. Sometimes they do sell out, but it's people like Jason Moran or an occasional hired gun.

I don't think there'll be a problem.

Sure thing, Dmitry, sounds great!!  Hey, can you swing by and get me?? - my car's in the shop this week.  I live in midtown Kansas City, but if you want - I can meet you at someplace easier to find then my house.  Do you know where "The Corner" restaurant is, at Broadway and Westport Road??  (Across from the bank.)  Or how about near 39th & State Line Rd. (at that great Vietnamese restaurant next to the used book store - you know, the one across from the coffee house)??  Or, I can PM you with the address where I live, if you don't mind picking me up at home.  Thanks!!!! - Looking forward to the show!!!

Oh, what time did you want to meet to pick me up???

--  Rooster T.

Where were you, Dmitry????!!!!! <_<

I waited on the porch for over three hours, and you never even so much as phoned to say you'd be late!!!!! :angry:

That's it, you're name is mud from now on... ( ;) )

I was there as well, for the second set.

Great set of music is all I can say. . Two 25-30 min. tunes[figuratively speaking] , the first one was a driving heavy blues with great solos by Roy Campbell and Moondoc. Campbell matched his intensity all the way. It sounded like ORnette's Stockholm Trio Sessions with a very heavy pace. Jamal announced the second one as"This is the one everyone asks for these days."

And they played Summertime. Moondoc had an unbelievable, 20 bar solo[maybe longer] on Alto, very moving, going back and forth into the theme, and Campbell was pretty great, actually.

The band sounded like Jamal composed Summerime. And that's pretty good, I think.

Her'es the personnel listing, before I forget it.

Khan Jamal Quintet featuring Khan Jamal - vibes

Roy Campbell - pocket trumpet, trumpet, flute on Summertime

Jemeel Moondoc - alto sax

Dylan Taylor - bass

Dwight James - drums

There were perhaps 22 people for the second set, including the hosts, and 15 of them carry-over from the previous set. Noone taped it, either.

Too bad. It was much better than much of what I heard lately.