Great jazz artists?

cooltrane

Alright guys I am looking for some great artists to listen to and I want you to name some names.

For the past 5 years I have been pretty much blind sides by Parker.

Charlie parker was my major influence and he was the only artist I bothered looking at at analysing.

however Since I got my tenor I'm starting to open my eyes to a wider variaty of jazz and the artists out there.

So Far

I know of John coltrane, Sunn rollins, Geraldn Albright, Cannonball aderly and Don patterson.

sunny stitts David sandbourn. Brandford marcelious.

What other famous jazz artists are there that I should look at?

I want someone that has the same sort of Be-bop style that coltrane has.

I also listen to other instruments aswell, dizzy gillespie and Miles davis.

If you guys can tell me some other musicians I should listen to that would be much appreciated.

Some great advice I received is to read the liner notes of the albums you do have and become familiar with the names playing the other instruments alongside Charlie Parker or John Coltrane or whoever, decide which sidemen have a sound you like, then follow those sidemen to other albums.

There's so many that are/were great it is amazing, you're in for quite a bit of discovery.

Also, www.allaboutjazz.com has links to a great primer for collecting jazz. Also check out www.allmusicguide.com.

Edited by Noj