BMG Sale Corner

Big Al

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New:

Miles Davis JACK JOHNSON box set

What is the cheapest way to buy this set from BMG? Do they run any sales that make box sets worth grabbing? I'm assuming the free shipping deal would be one way, but are there any better sales to hold out for?

Unfortunately, most of the larger box sets (more than 3 CDs) don't go on sale once they have set the price. For example, the Miles 64-66 set has always been around list price, while Bitches Brew remains in the $25 range. 2-3 CD sets are the ones that are best to hold out for on sales.

They also have a disclaimer that exempts them from the free shipping specials.

In December 2003, there was a free shipping deal with 70% off. Most box sets were included too.

I bought a 4-CD set for $20. (plus tax)

The Jeff Buckley (3-CD) set was $13.99 (plus tax)

Funny thing about the Miles Davis JACK JOHNSON box set, BMG has it listed as a 6-CD set. (it only has 5-CDs)

It seems like once or twice a year there will be a big sale with free shipping that DOES include box sets... I got a few that way, including the Bitches Brew box... but I only buy from them when they have sale + free shipping, since the shipping rate eats up the good prices otherwise. Still, it is worth it-- and they had a fantastic 4.99 per cd + no shipping sale this December where I got a BUNCH of great stuff. Well worth it.

I've never understood their charging the full sipping price for each disc in a boxset.

It's just one of their "profit centers", I'm sure.

BFrank, my hunch is just the oppposite. I think that the shipping charge includes all of their nut; and their profit is whatever they can persuade you to pay for the CD!

TJazz - That's not that good of a deal, IMO. My current offer is Buy 1, Get 2 Free plus unlimited at $2.99 apiece. This includes shipping, but even with that, I recently ordered a bunch of discs, and I'm paying just a hair over $6 apiec for them, delivered.

John - That's one of the worst mess-ups I've heard of regarding BMG. I bet if you contact their customer service (through the website), and explain what you've received, they'll get you the correct discs fairly quickly. I've never had a mistaken shipment from them, but others say you generally get to keep the mistake discs. So I'd send that Shakira off to one of your neighborhood used cd stores.

John - That's one of the worst mess-ups I've heard of regarding BMG. I bet if you contact their customer service (through the website), and explain what you've received, they'll get you the correct discs fairly quickly. I've never had a mistaken shipment from them, but others say you generally get to keep the mistake discs. So I'd send that Shakira off to one of your neighborhood used cd stores.

I had one incorrect cd set sent the last time I was a member (and got to keep the incorrect discs) but couldn't believe how many were wrong this time. I now have cds by Shakira, Barenaked Ladies, Bob Dylan, The Allman Bros. and John Hiatt that I don't want.

I did pick up RVGs of Roll Call, Natural Soul and Am I Blue, so I'll have those to tide me over until the correct discs - the new Chucho Valdes, Jackie's Bag, Grantstand and Universal Conciousness show up. The first thing I did when I opened the package was log into BMG and send an email to customer service.

More new stuff added...

Richard "Groove" Holmes - On Basie's Bandstand

Jaki Byard Quartet - The Last From Lennie's

Art Tatum - The Best of the Pablo Solo Masterpieces

Oscar Peterson - Dimensions: A Compendium of the Pablo Years (4CD)

Excellent! The Byard disc caught my eye recently. I'll wait for a good sale and grab it one of these days.