Trumpet effects question

Dional

OK so i joined this band with my friends and we arnt a jazz band we are more of an experimental metal band which is hard for me cause of my trumpet skills so i though of the idea of using some effect pedals to give it a more industrial tone. Now i think i figured out a way to pull this off cause i cant find any trumpet specific pedals, if i bought a silent brass system and instead of pluggin the 1/8 piece into the mute box what if i got a 1/8 to 1/4 converter and ran that into my friends guitar pedals that hes got hooked up to his amp, should that work?

There are also effects in the Silent Brass that may increase the range of sounds when paired with the guitar pedals. I think there is a "church" setting, a "concert hall" setting, and maybe one more. I was never a huge fan of the Silent Brass, personally. I found that it restricts the overtone series that make a trumpet really "sing". But hey, I think that it's a good thing to try to tweak your effects and sounds...as it's been done my some great players with often great results.

The Silent Brass is good for practice but I wouldn't want to use it to perform- it really creates some resistance (back pressure), and TOO much of that isn't good for the chops.

I'd either use a mic (free standing or bell-mounted) or drill out a separate mouthpiece (not your main one!) and mount a pickup. That way you have the option to turn off the effects and play with an open sound w/o having to take the mute out. I realize that's probably a more expensive option, but the long term results will be worth it, IMHO. Just be extra nice to dad and take him out for grape ice cream with cilantro sprinkles. :)

Edited by Free For All

Cuong Vu

:tup:tup:tup

THIS INTERVIEW gets into some gear details:

"I run [the trumpet] through a Lexicon mpx100 for some reverb and ambient delay," he says. "Then I split that sound into two paths that I send through two separate delay pedals. One is a Boss DD20 that has 20 seconds of sound-on-sound looping and various other delay settings. The other is a D.O.D. 4-second delay pedal that also has sound-on-sound capabilities. They each give me independent loops that I can layer and take out or change in an improvisatory way."
Edited by maren

THIS INTERVIEW gets into some gear details:

"I run [the trumpet] through a Lexicon mpx100 for some reverb and ambient delay," he says. "Then I split that sound into two paths that I send through two separate delay pedals. One is a Boss DD20 that has 20 seconds of sound-on-sound looping and various other delay settings. The other is a D.O.D. 4-second delay pedal that also has sound-on-sound capabilities. They each give me independent loops that I can layer and take out or change in an improvisatory way."

Wow, is that a Ruby Braff interview? ;)